UAC can not elevate

SimonW

UAC can not elevate
Hello
I am unable to perform any Administrative tasks becasue my only true
Administrator was previously hidden from the Welcome Screen and remains so
after upgrading from XP to Vista Home Premium.

When I attempt to run regedt32.exe As Administrator my UAC dialogue appears
but there is no password box, and so am unable to elevate.

I know this is a hot issue. Does anyone have a route thru' this?

Thanks in advance, Simon
Kerry Brown

Re: UAC can not elevate
Try task manager. Enable "Show processes from all users" and see if you can
elevate task manger. If you can elevate it then click on the Applications
tab and start a new task. Type in compmgmt.msc and you should be able to add
a user or edit the existing users.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"SimonW" <SimonW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> I am unable to perform any Administrative tasks becasue my only true
> Administrator was previously hidden from the Welcome Screen and remains so
> after upgrading from XP to Vista Home Premium.
>
> When I attempt to run regedt32.exe As Administrator my UAC dialogue
> appears
> but there is no password box, and so am unable to elevate.
>
> I know this is a hot issue. Does anyone have a route thru' this?
>
> Thanks in advance, Simon

SimonW

Re: UAC can not elevate
Hello Kerry
Thanks for your reply. I am unable to elevate Task Manager in the way you
receommend. UAC starts and says -

"To continue please type an administrator password"

But there is no textbox to enter the password.

Rgrds, Simon

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> Try task manager. Enable "Show processes from all users" and see if you can
> elevate task manger. If you can elevate it then click on the Applications
> tab and start a new task. Type in compmgmt.msc and you should be able to add
> a user or edit the existing users.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "SimonW" <SimonW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello
> > I am unable to perform any Administrative tasks becasue my only true
> > Administrator was previously hidden from the Welcome Screen and remains so
> > after upgrading from XP to Vista Home Premium.
> >
> > When I attempt to run regedt32.exe As Administrator my UAC dialogue
> > appears
> > but there is no password box, and so am unable to elevate.
> >
> > I know this is a hot issue. Does anyone have a route thru' this?
> >
> > Thanks in advance, Simon

Kerry Brown

Re: UAC can not elevate
When you boot to safe mode is the "Administrator" account available for
logon?

Another possibility is adding a user through remote management. On another
computer run compmgmt.msc. Right click on Computer management (local) and
pick Connect to another computer. This may allow you to add another user
then add the user to the administrators group.

--

> Hello Kerry
> Thanks for your reply. I am unable to elevate Task Manager in the way you
> receommend. UAC starts and says -
>
> "To continue please type an administrator password"
>
> But there is no textbox to enter the password.
>
> Rgrds, Simon
>

> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> Try task manager. Enable "Show processes from all users" and see if you
>> can
>> elevate task manger. If you can elevate it then click on the Applications
>> tab and start a new task. Type in compmgmt.msc and you should be able to
>> add
>> a user or edit the existing users.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>>

>> "SimonW" <SimonW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello
>> > I am unable to perform any Administrative tasks becasue my only true
>> > Administrator was previously hidden from the Welcome Screen and remains
>> > so
>> > after upgrading from XP to Vista Home Premium.
>> >
>> > When I attempt to run regedt32.exe As Administrator my UAC dialogue
>> > appears
>> > but there is no password box, and so am unable to elevate.
>> >
>> > I know this is a hot issue. Does anyone have a route thru' this?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance, Simon

SimonW

Re: UAC can not elevate
No Kerry, I've tried that. I've also tried..

1. booting in Safe Mode with Networking Support
2. Rundll netplwiz etc and setting permissions there like enabling
"Ctrl+Alt+Del"
3. cmd line net user username passoword /active:yes (this returns error 5
access denied)
4 your recommedation (task man)

although I have attempted elevation with Run As and Ctrl + Shift with other
programs.

By design Windows is behaving itself. UAC is doing its job. The problem is
with its dialog i.e. I am unable to enter a password to elevate. This may be
a result of having just upgraded from Win XP Media Centre to Vista Home
Premium (compmgmt.msc is therefore unavailable anyway), the upgrade completed
successfully and final reboot to the Vista Welcome Screen proudly displayed
usr1 & usr2.

Great, except I can't Ctrl+Alt+Del logon to administer the machine and
finish off the installation. Why? The true Administrator is the only machine
Administrator which was previously suppressed from the WinXP Welcome Screen
(see http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_wel_screen.htm).

With a Ctrl+Alt+Del I'm scuppered! If you or your colleagues have any other
ideas please don't hesitate to post - otherwise it's looking like a
re-installation.

Rgrds, Simon

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> When you boot to safe mode is the "Administrator" account available for
> logon?
>
> Another possibility is adding a user through remote management. On another
> computer run compmgmt.msc. Right click on Computer management (local) and
> pick Connect to another computer. This may allow you to add another user
> then add the user to the administrators group.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "SimonW" <SimonW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Kerry
> > Thanks for your reply. I am unable to elevate Task Manager in the way you
> > receommend. UAC starts and says -
> >
> > "To continue please type an administrator password"
> >
> > But there is no textbox to enter the password.
> >
> > Rgrds, Simon
> >

> > "Kerry Brown" wrote:
> >
> >> Try task manager. Enable "Show processes from all users" and see if you
> >> can
> >> elevate task manger. If you can elevate it then click on the Applications
> >> tab and start a new task. Type in compmgmt.msc and you should be able to
> >> add
> >> a user or edit the existing users.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Kerry Brown
> >> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> >> http://www.vistahelp.ca

Kerry Brown

Re: UAC can not elevate
It may indeed require a reinstall. I think on the wish list for Vista there
should be a F8 boot option to boot to the normally disabled administrator
account with UAC disabled. This would allow troubleshooting of UAC problems.
Currently I've seen a few situations where the fix is obvious but because
UAC is borked the fix can't be done.

--

> No Kerry, I've tried that. I've also tried..
>
> 1. booting in Safe Mode with Networking Support
> 2. Rundll netplwiz etc and setting permissions there like enabling
> "Ctrl+Alt+Del"
> 3. cmd line net user username passoword /active:yes (this returns error 5
> access denied)
> 4 your recommedation (task man)
>
> although I have attempted elevation with Run As and Ctrl + Shift with
> other
> programs.
>
> By design Windows is behaving itself. UAC is doing its job. The problem
> is
> with its dialog i.e. I am unable to enter a password to elevate. This may
> be
> a result of having just upgraded from Win XP Media Centre to Vista Home
> Premium (compmgmt.msc is therefore unavailable anyway), the upgrade
> completed
> successfully and final reboot to the Vista Welcome Screen proudly
> displayed
> usr1 & usr2.
>
> Great, except I can't Ctrl+Alt+Del logon to administer the machine and
> finish off the installation. Why? The true Administrator is the only
> machine
> Administrator which was previously suppressed from the WinXP Welcome
> Screen
> (see http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_wel_screen.htm).
>
> With a Ctrl+Alt+Del I'm scuppered! If you or your colleagues have any
> other
> ideas please don't hesitate to post - otherwise it's looking like a
> re-installation.
>
> Rgrds, Simon
>

> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> When you boot to safe mode is the "Administrator" account available for
>> logon?
>>
>> Another possibility is adding a user through remote management. On
>> another
>> computer run compmgmt.msc. Right click on Computer management (local) and
>> pick Connect to another computer. This may allow you to add another user
>> then add the user to the administrators group.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>>

>> "SimonW" <SimonW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello Kerry
>> > Thanks for your reply. I am unable to elevate Task Manager in the way
>> > you
>> > receommend. UAC starts and says -
>> >
>> > "To continue please type an administrator password"
>> >
>> > But there is no textbox to enter the password.
>> >
>> > Rgrds, Simon

SimonW

Re: UAC can not elevate
I fear you are right. It's remarkable. I suspect the Standard User XP
Account somehow is not enough to qualify for elevation following an upgrade.
Do you know a command line option for a setting a user with a Vista Standard
User Account? This might just do it. Rgrds, Simon

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> It may indeed require a reinstall. I think on the wish list for Vista there
> should be a F8 boot option to boot to the normally disabled administrator
> account with UAC disabled. This would allow troubleshooting of UAC problems.
> Currently I've seen a few situations where the fix is obvious but because
> UAC is borked the fix can't be done.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "SimonW" <SimonW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No Kerry, I've tried that. I've also tried..
> >
> > 1. booting in Safe Mode with Networking Support
> > 2. Rundll netplwiz etc and setting permissions there like enabling
> > "Ctrl+Alt+Del"
> > 3. cmd line net user username passoword /active:yes (this returns error 5
> > access denied)
> > 4 your recommedation (task man)
> >
> > although I have attempted elevation with Run As and Ctrl + Shift with
> > other
> > programs.
> >
> > By design Windows is behaving itself. UAC is doing its job. The problem
> > is
> > with its dialog i.e. I am unable to enter a password to elevate. This may
> > be
> > a result of having just upgraded from Win XP Media Centre to Vista Home
> > Premium (compmgmt.msc is therefore unavailable anyway), the upgrade
> > completed
> > successfully and final reboot to the Vista Welcome Screen proudly
> > displayed
> > usr1 & usr2.
> >
> > Great, except I can't Ctrl+Alt+Del logon to administer the machine and
> > finish off the installation. Why? The true Administrator is the only
> > machine
> > Administrator which was previously suppressed from the WinXP Welcome
> > Screen
> > (see http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_wel_screen.htm).
> >
> > With a Ctrl+Alt+Del I'm scuppered! If you or your colleagues have any
> > other
> > ideas please don't hesitate to post - otherwise it's looking like a
> > re-installation.
> >
> > Rgrds, Simon
> >

> > "Kerry Brown" wrote:
> >
> >> When you boot to safe mode is the "Administrator" account available for
> >> logon?
> >>
> >> Another possibility is adding a user through remote management. On
> >> another
> >> computer run compmgmt.msc. Right click on Computer management (local) and
> >> pick Connect to another computer. This may allow you to add another user
> >> then add the user to the administrators group.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Kerry Brown
> >> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> >> http://www.vistahelp.ca

Kerry Brown

Re: UAC can not elevate
Without elevation I don't think it's possible.