Administrative Headaches

riskman

Administrative Headaches
Been trying to read all the help regarding Admin permissions, but am still
confused. I can't even add a printer when I'm logged in as Administrator (and
only user of this machine).
--
Riskman
riskman

RE: Administrative Headaches
Clarification - I'm using Vista Premium Home Edition.
--
Riskman

"riskman" wrote:

> Been trying to read all the help regarding Admin permissions, but am still
> confused. I can't even add a printer when I'm logged in as Administrator (and
> only user of this machine).
> --
> Riskman

Bruce Chambers

riskman wrote:
> Been trying to read all the help regarding Admin permissions, but am still
> confused. I can't even add a printer when I'm logged in as Administrator (and
> only user of this machine).

What happens when you try? What specific error messages do you get?
What do your system event logs report? What specific troubleshooting
steps have you already taken, and what were the results of each?

I'm afraid that no one can help if you don't provide at least a
modicum of pertinent information.

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

dmex

Re: Administrative Headaches

riskman, create a new admin user and see if the new user will allow you
to add a printer or other things.

Arteekay, My reasons (rant) why UAC is not needed... Administrators do
not need UAC because most privileged server fuctions get denied access
to windows services they require also most administrators are smart
enough not to run any program likely to cause infestations or undesired
actions on there computer (IE7/IE6/outlook to name a few) IE in
inherently flawed because of its complete intergration with windows and
protected mode was designed to provide a shield between fuctions, UAC
detects calls made to services and asks the user if the process should
or shouldnt be asking for that privilege, it doesnt stop a thing if you
clicked accept.. brandons blog was talking about the protected mode
stoping a program from running so if most others used another web
browser UAC is not required because its only fuction is to ask you if it
should or shouldnt be asking for it.
It will definalty not help stop anything soon when malicious programs
are modified to disable it and other windows protections though the
registry, its a easy process.

--
dmex