delete icons in each user account?

PM

delete icons in each user account?
I have 4 user accounts on my computer running Windows Vista Home Premium.
Mine is an administrator account & the others are standard accounts. When we
try to delete icons in one account, it sometimes deletes them in every
account. It does always ask for administrator permission on the ones that
delete from everyone's accounts. I thought each user could delete icons on
their desktop without affecting anyone else's desktop. Can anyone offer any
suggestions?
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: delete icons in each user account?
PM

The default location of the icons are the key with this problem.

There are locations that effect all users and a corresponding location that
effect individual users.

Example: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu is the location for the
All Users Start Menu folder. If an icon is placed in this location or
deleted from this location, it will affect every user on the computer.

The location for the individual users Start Menu folder is:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Window s\Start Menu. Icons
created or deleted from this location only effect the individual user.

For the Desktop, C:\Users\Public\Desktop is the location for All Users.
Individual users location is C:\Users\username\Desktop.

Many programs, when first installed, will ask if you want to install for all
users or just install for the currently logged on user. If you select all
users, it will place icons and change settings for everyone. Some programs
don't ask, they just install for all users or the individual user.

Your solution would be to not delete an icon from the physical desktop, but
delete it from the location within Windows Explorer that is either the
individual users desktop folder or the all users desktop folder.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"PM" <PM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 4 user accounts on my computer running Windows Vista Home Premium.
> Mine is an administrator account & the others are standard accounts. When
> we
> try to delete icons in one account, it sometimes deletes them in every
> account. It does always ask for administrator permission on the ones that
> delete from everyone's accounts. I thought each user could delete icons
> on
> their desktop without affecting anyone else's desktop. Can anyone offer
> any
> suggestions?

PM

Re: delete icons in each user account?
Thanks Ronnie for the excellent explanation. I makes perfect sense.

Thanks Again!!

PM

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> PM
>
> The default location of the icons are the key with this problem.
>
> There are locations that effect all users and a corresponding location that
> effect individual users.
>
> Example: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu is the location for the
> All Users Start Menu folder. If an icon is placed in this location or
> deleted from this location, it will affect every user on the computer.
>
> The location for the individual users Start Menu folder is:
> C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Window s\Start Menu. Icons
> created or deleted from this location only effect the individual user.
>
> For the Desktop, C:\Users\Public\Desktop is the location for All Users.
> Individual users location is C:\Users\username\Desktop.
>
> Many programs, when first installed, will ask if you want to install for all
> users or just install for the currently logged on user. If you select all
> users, it will place icons and change settings for everyone. Some programs
> don't ask, they just install for all users or the individual user.
>
> Your solution would be to not delete an icon from the physical desktop, but
> delete it from the location within Windows Explorer that is either the
> individual users desktop folder or the all users desktop folder.
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "PM" <PM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have 4 user accounts on my computer running Windows Vista Home Premium.
> > Mine is an administrator account & the others are standard accounts. When
> > we
> > try to delete icons in one account, it sometimes deletes them in every
> > account. It does always ask for administrator permission on the ones that
> > delete from everyone's accounts. I thought each user could delete icons
> > on
> > their desktop without affecting anyone else's desktop. Can anyone offer
> > any
> > suggestions?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: delete icons in each user account?