BIOS UPDATE

Zman

BIOS UPDATE
I received a BIOS update for my VISTA operation system. I downloaded the
file, however I get FLASH ACCESS DENIED. Log on administrator and retry. I
am logged in as the administrator. My sign in is the only person on the
login and I am designated the admin. Anyone have a answer as to what I need
to do to apply this update?
--
The one and only Zman
TE

Re: BIOS UPDATE

"Zman" <Zman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I received a BIOS update for my VISTA operation system. I downloaded the
> file, however I get FLASH ACCESS DENIED. Log on administrator and retry.
> am logged in as the administrator. My sign in is the only person on the
> login and I am designated the admin. Anyone have a answer as to what I
> need
> to do to apply this update?
> --
> The one and only Zman

My guess is that your motherboard has flash protection enabled. Some boards
have a jumper to protect the bios from flashing. Consult your computer
manufacture.

Bruce Chambers

Re: BIOS UPDATE
Zman wrote:
> I received a BIOS update for my VISTA operation system.

That's not even remotely possible. Vista is an operating system, a
form of software. A computer's BIOS is stored on the CMOS chip on the
computer's motherboard, and is completely separate form any software
installed on the computer.

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...213814,00.html

http://searchsmb.techtarget.com/sDef...213860,00.html

> I downloaded the
> file, however I get FLASH ACCESS DENIED. Log on administrator and retry. I
> am logged in as the administrator. My sign in is the only person on the
> login and I am designated the admin. Anyone have a answer as to what I need
> to do to apply this update?

Very, very few BIOS flashing utilities run from within Windows, as this
is a very dangerous thing to do. Have you carefully and precisely
followed the instructions provided by the computer's motherboard
manufacturer?

More importantly, why are you trying to flash your computer's BIOS?
What specific problem are you experiencing that the motherboard
manufacturer says will be fixed by the Bios flash? If there is no
specific problem, don't flash the BIOS; it's far to easy to render a
computer completely unbootable by applying an incorrect BIOS "update."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Zman

Re: BIOS UPDATE
Thanks. I will try to contact Dell to find out if that is what is happening.
--
The one and only Zman

> Thanks. I will try to contact Dell to find out if that is what is
> happening.
> --
> The one and only Zman
>

> "TE" wrote:
>

>> "Zman" <Zman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I received a BIOS update for my VISTA operation system. I downloaded
>> >the
>> > file, however I get FLASH ACCESS DENIED. Log on administrator and
>> > retry.
>> > am logged in as the administrator. My sign in is the only person on
>> > the
>> > login and I am designated the admin. Anyone have a answer as to what I
>> > need
>> > to do to apply this update?
>> > --
>> > The one and only Zman

>> My guess is that your motherboard has flash protection enabled. Some
>> boards
>> have a jumper to protect the bios from flashing. Consult your computer
>> manufacture.

A quick Google for 'Dell FLASH ACCESS DENIED' returned this
http://www.dellcommunity.com/support...essage.id=2517

Seems other dell users are having the same problem.

Njetspam

Re: BIOS UPDATE
Zman wrote:
> I received a BIOS update for my VISTA operation system. I downloaded the
> file, however I get FLASH ACCESS DENIED. Log on administrator and retry. I
> am logged in as the administrator. My sign in is the only person on the
> login and I am designated the admin. Anyone have a answer as to what I need
> to do to apply this update?

Do NOT update bios with Windows. Boot to dos and update or use
boot-disk and so on.
Angry_American

Re: BIOS UPDATE
> Zman wrote:
>> I received a BIOS update for my VISTA operation system.

> That's not even remotely possible. Vista is an operating system, a form
> of software. A computer's BIOS is stored on the CMOS chip on the
> computer's motherboard, and is completely separate form any software
> installed on the computer.
>
> http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...213814,00.html
>
> http://searchsmb.techtarget.com/sDef...213860,00.html

A lot of computer manufacturers are only handing out BIOS updates packaged
to be run from Windows, Dell does this now as well. They used to give an
option to update the BIOS either by booting with a boot disk or flashing
from windows, but now its exclusively a windows package now.

Dan

Angry_American

Re: BIOS UPDATE
"Njetspam" <njetspam@njetspam.njetspam> wrote in message
> Zman wrote:
>> I received a BIOS update for my VISTA operation system. I downloaded the
>> file, however I get FLASH ACCESS DENIED. Log on administrator and retry.
>> I am logged in as the administrator. My sign in is the only person on
>> the login and I am designated the admin. Anyone have a answer as to what
>> I need to do to apply this update?

> Do NOT update bios with Windows. Boot to dos and update or use
> boot-disk and so on.

With a Dell the op does not have a choice, the BIOS update is an exe and
must be run from Windows.

Dan

Bruce Chambers

Re: BIOS UPDATE
Angry_American wrote:

> A lot of computer manufacturers are only handing out BIOS updates
> packaged to be run from Windows, Dell does this now as well. They used
> to give an option to update the BIOS either by booting with a boot disk
> or flashing from windows, but now its exclusively a windows package now.
>
> Dan

Yet another reason to avoid Dell products. Oh well....

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Bruce Chambers

Re: BIOS UPDATE
Angry_American wrote:
> "Njetspam" <njetspam@njetspam.njetspam> wrote in message
>> Zman wrote:
>>> I received a BIOS update for my VISTA operation system. I downloaded
>>> the file, however I get FLASH ACCESS DENIED. Log on administrator
>>> and retry. I am logged in as the administrator. My sign in is the
>>> only person on the login and I am designated the admin. Anyone have
>>> a answer as to what I need to do to apply this update?

>> Do NOT update bios with Windows. Boot to dos and update or use
>> boot-disk and so on.

> With a Dell the op does not have a choice, the BIOS update is an exe and
> must be run from Windows.
>
> Dan

That may be the only option Dell provides, but I wouldn't be surprised
if the actual motherboard's manufacturer didn't provide a safer means.
Remember, Dell doesn't actually make computers from scratch; they just
assemble them from components made by other companies. Those other
companies usually have support web sites, as well.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm