Use OEM Windows Home License on a different PC?

BugleM

Use OEM Windows Home License on a different PC?
My eMachine is dying. It has XP home edition on it. The only disk I have
for this PC is a eMachine restore disk. As far as I am concerned I own a
license to operate Windows XP home on any PC I want. I don't think it should
have to be a eMachine. How can I get XP home loaded and use the OEM CD Key?

I have three other PC's all with their own license and CD key. I don't
think I should have to buy another license because I am upgrading my PC to
the point where the OEM disk won't recognize it.

Thanks
Tim

Re: Use OEM Windows Home License on a different PC?
Logic and software licenses are not always synonymous...but sometimes there
are explanations. Windows OEM licenses are typically cheaper than retail
licenses. The trade-off (one of them) for the lower price is that you cannot
transfer them to a different PC. MS ties the OEM license to the motherboard
so even if you upgrade your motherboard, you cannot (technically) use the
same license...but I have heard people have successfully pleaded their cases
to the Activation Gods. But, the bottom line is when your eMachine finally
dies, the XP license dies with it. Bummer.

Tim

"BugleM" <BugleM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My eMachine is dying. It has XP home edition on it. The only disk I have
> for this PC is a eMachine restore disk. As far as I am concerned I own a
> license to operate Windows XP home on any PC I want. I don't think it
> should
> have to be a eMachine. How can I get XP home loaded and use the OEM CD
> Key?
>
> I have three other PC's all with their own license and CD key. I don't
> think I should have to buy another license because I am upgrading my PC to
> the point where the OEM disk won't recognize it.
>
> Thanks

TE

Re: Use OEM Windows Home License on a different PC?
Try http://www.howtohaven.com/system/cre...etupdisk.shtml

"BugleM" <BugleM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My eMachine is dying. It has XP home edition on it. The only disk I have
> for this PC is a eMachine restore disk. As far as I am concerned I own a
> license to operate Windows XP home on any PC I want. I don't think it
> should
> have to be a eMachine. How can I get XP home loaded and use the OEM CD
> Key?
>
> I have three other PC's all with their own license and CD key. I don't
> think I should have to buy another license because I am upgrading my PC to
> the point where the OEM disk won't recognize it.
>
> Thanks

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Use OEM Windows Home License on a different PC?
Generally the OEM license is permanently tied to the original computer
regardless the condition of that computer.
Read your EULA for details.
One of the many reasons you paid less for your OEM than retail
license.

Even if the license would allow, there are probably technical
limitations set up by Emachines which prevent installing on a computer
with other than an Emachine motherboard.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"BugleM" <BugleM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My eMachine is dying. It has XP home edition on it. The only disk
> I have
> for this PC is a eMachine restore disk. As far as I am concerned I
> own a
> license to operate Windows XP home on any PC I want. I don't think
> it should
> have to be a eMachine. How can I get XP home loaded and use the OEM
> CD Key?
>
> I have three other PC's all with their own license and CD key. I
> don't
> think I should have to buy another license because I am upgrading my
> PC to
> the point where the OEM disk won't recognize it.
>
> Thanks

Bruce Chambers

BugleM wrote:
> My eMachine is dying. It has XP home edition on it. The only disk I have
> for this PC is a eMachine restore disk. As far as I am concerned I own a
> license to operate Windows XP home on any PC I want.

You've a vivid imagination. What you *own* is a license (the copyright
holders permission, in simple terms) to use that OEM copy of Windows on
*only* the machine with which it was purchased.

> I don't think it should
> have to be a eMachine. How can I get XP home loaded and use the OEM CD Key?

Contact eMAchines about repairing the computer to which that OEM
license is permanently bound.

> I have three other PC's all with their own license and CD key. I don't
> think I should have to buy another license because I am upgrading my PC to
> the point where the OEM disk won't recognize it.

It doesn't really matter what you think. You agreed to a contract; now
you want to renege on that agreement. Do you also default on your
credit card payments when you get tired of making them?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

BugleM

Re: Use OEM Windows Home License on a different PC?
I found the full blown CD Key on a COA on the back of the machine, I will
load Xp home from one of my other disks and insert that CD key and see what
happens.

Hmm, could all this licensing crap be why Iowa just settled a lawsuit with
MS and is allowing me to collect $16 for every copy of Windows and DOS I ever
bought? ($29 for Office and $10 for Works) I'll get a large enough refund
to buy another license if I need. I have at least $160 coming.

The eMachine is a 2001 1.0 ghz piece of crap when I bought it, much less
from today's standards.

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> BugleM wrote:
> > My eMachine is dying. It has XP home edition on it. The only disk I have
> > for this PC is a eMachine restore disk. As far as I am concerned I own a
> > license to operate Windows XP home on any PC I want.

> You've a vivid imagination. What you *own* is a license (the copyright
> holders permission, in simple terms) to use that OEM copy of Windows on
> *only* the machine with which it was purchased.
>
> > I don't think it should
> > have to be a eMachine. How can I get XP home loaded and use the OEM CD Key?
> >

> Contact eMAchines about repairing the computer to which that OEM
> license is permanently bound.
>

> > I have three other PC's all with their own license and CD key. I don't
> > think I should have to buy another license because I am upgrading my PC to
> > the point where the OEM disk won't recognize it.

> It doesn't really matter what you think. You agreed to a contract; now
> you want to renege on that agreement. Do you also default on your
> credit card payments when you get tired of making them?
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand Russell

f/fgeorge

Re: Use OEM Windows Home License on a different PC?
On Thu, 24 May 2007 05:42:01 -0700, BugleM
<BugleM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I found the full blown CD Key on a COA on the back of the machine, I will
>load Xp home from one of my other disks and insert that CD key and see what
>happens.
>
>Hmm, could all this licensing crap be why Iowa just settled a lawsuit with
>MS and is allowing me to collect $16 for every copy of Windows and DOS I ever
>bought? ($29 for Office and $10 for Works) I'll get a large enough refund
>to buy another license if I need. I have at least $160 coming.
>
>The eMachine is a 2001 1.0 ghz piece of crap when I bought it, much less
>from today's standards.

The full blown license is tied to an EMachine, so it won't work on any
old machine. Sorry, the little idiot in India won't help either. He is
just doing what he is told and although a pain in the butt, can't help
you either. Believe me, I tried! I have an old Dell, I upgraded the
MB, cpu, ram and harddrives. Called India and they said call Dell!
Pain in the butt!!! But licenses are licenses!

BugleM wrote:
> I found the full blown CD Key on a COA on the back of the machine, I will
> load Xp home from one of my other disks and insert that CD key and see what
> happens.

If they're unbranded, generic OEM CDs, they may well work for the
installtion, although you shouldn't be able to activate them. If you
were an hoinest person, you wouldn't even contemplate trying.

> Hmm, could all this licensing crap be why Iowa just settled a lawsuit with
> MS and is allowing me to collect $16 for every copy of Windows and DOS I ever
> bought?

Very Unlikely. What does that decision say, spoecifically? Please
provide a link so other can see this. To the best of my knowledge, no
one has ever successfully challenged the terms of Microsoft's licenses
in a US court. I haven't even heard of any lawyer foolisd enough to try.

> The eMachine is a 2001 1.0 ghz piece of crap when I bought it, much less
> from today's standards.

True, even brand new, any eMachines computer is little more than a
piece to scrap. You get what you pay for.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm