No Accounts Displaying On Login Screen

AirMarshall

No Accounts Displaying On Login Screen
Hi first time here hope you can help.

Bare with me this might take a while.

I upgraded fro XP home to Vista Home Premium first attempt did not work so
had to roll back with the help of a microsoft techy, after upgrading again
all works fine BUT all the accounts i created in XP and vista do not appear
on the login screen including the guest account. All i get is and empt
picture frame and two fields USER NAME & PASSWORD

I got through to another techy from MS who said i may have to set up new
accounts and migrate accross the profile. but before we could try much his
system went on a go slow and he said he would call back he didnt but thats
not the problem.

Anyway any ideas on resurecting the login screen are welcome.

--
A fool always finds a greater fool to follow him.
Jimmy Brush

Re: No Accounts Displaying On Login Screen
Can you log in to your accounts OK?

- JB

On Tue, 22 May 2007 11:52:00 -0700, AirMarshall
<AirMarshall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi first time here hope you can help.
>
>Bare with me this might take a while.
>
>I upgraded fro XP home to Vista Home Premium first attempt did not work so
>had to roll back with the help of a microsoft techy, after upgrading again
>all works fine BUT all the accounts i created in XP and vista do not appear
>on the login screen including the guest account. All i get is and empt
>picture frame and two fields USER NAME & PASSWORD
>
>I got through to another techy from MS who said i may have to set up new
>accounts and migrate accross the profile. but before we could try much his
>system went on a go slow and he said he would call back he didnt but thats
>not the problem.
>
>Anyway any ideas on resurecting the login screen are welcome.

AirMarshall

Re: No Accounts Displaying On Login Screen
Hi
yes i can login by typing one of the old XP and new Vista accounts i set up
to test if that would work.

--

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Can you log in to your accounts OK?
>
> - JB
>
> On Tue, 22 May 2007 11:52:00 -0700, AirMarshall
> <AirMarshall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi first time here hope you can help.
> >
> >Bare with me this might take a while.
> >
> >I upgraded fro XP home to Vista Home Premium first attempt did not work so
> >had to roll back with the help of a microsoft techy, after upgrading again
> >all works fine BUT all the accounts i created in XP and vista do not appear
> >on the login screen including the guest account. All i get is and empt
> >picture frame and two fields USER NAME & PASSWORD
> >
> >I got through to another techy from MS who said i may have to set up new
> >accounts and migrate accross the profile. but before we could try much his
> >system went on a go slow and he said he would call back he didnt but thats
> >not the problem.
> >
> >Anyway any ideas on resurecting the login screen are welcome.

jimmuh

Re: No Accounts Displaying On Login Screen
That's really odd. Your system is behaving as though two policies are
functioning on it.

Interactive logon: Do no show last user (Enabled)
Interactive logon: Do not use CTRL+ALT+DEL (Disabled)

But your original XP version and the new one are HOME versions, and they do
not have policy editors. I've seen a lot of bizarre stuff like this on
upgrade installations of Vista over earlier operating systems. I know a lot
of people say that the upgrade works, but I wouldn't do it on any system that
was important to me.

I'll be interested to see if Jimmy Brush has a suggestion for you.
Obviously, you can just use the system as is, but...

"AirMarshall" wrote:

> Hi
> yes i can login by typing one of the old XP and new Vista accounts i set up
> to test if that would work.
>
> --
> A fool always finds a greater fool to follow him.
>

> "Jimmy Brush" wrote:
>
> > Can you log in to your accounts OK?
> >
> > - JB
> >
> > On Tue, 22 May 2007 11:52:00 -0700, AirMarshall
> > <AirMarshall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi first time here hope you can help.
> > >
> > >Bare with me this might take a while.
> > >
> > >I upgraded fro XP home to Vista Home Premium first attempt did not work so
> > >had to roll back with the help of a microsoft techy, after upgrading again
> > >all works fine BUT all the accounts i created in XP and vista do not appear
> > >on the login screen including the guest account. All i get is and empt
> > >picture frame and two fields USER NAME & PASSWORD
> > >
> > >I got through to another techy from MS who said i may have to set up new
> > >accounts and migrate accross the profile. but before we could try much his
> > >system went on a go slow and he said he would call back he didnt but thats
> > >not the problem.
> > >
> > >Anyway any ideas on resurecting the login screen are welcome.

AirMarshall

Re: No Accounts Displaying On Login Screen
Yes sure would be greatful for any ideas.
At least microsoft Tech Supp has escalated my call to higher beings,
so i await their call on tuesday but i will hav a peek at those two settings
you mentioned.

I have a gut feeling its a registry problem but perhaps thats just being
optomistic.
if only it was as easy as adding them to a list (or perhaps it is?)

Thanks for posts so far!

--

"jimmuh" wrote:

> That's really odd. Your system is behaving as though two policies are
> functioning on it.
>
> Interactive logon: Do no show last user (Enabled)
> Interactive logon: Do not use CTRL+ALT+DEL (Disabled)
>
> But your original XP version and the new one are HOME versions, and they do
> not have policy editors. I've seen a lot of bizarre stuff like this on
> upgrade installations of Vista over earlier operating systems. I know a lot
> of people say that the upgrade works, but I wouldn't do it on any system that
> was important to me.
>
> I'll be interested to see if Jimmy Brush has a suggestion for you.
> Obviously, you can just use the system as is, but...
>
> "AirMarshall" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > yes i can login by typing one of the old XP and new Vista accounts i set up
> > to test if that would work.
> >
> > --
> > A fool always finds a greater fool to follow him.
> >

> > "Jimmy Brush" wrote:
> >
> > > Can you log in to your accounts OK?
> > >
> > > - JB

jimmuh

Re: No Accounts Displaying On Login Screen
I don't think you'll be able to check those policies because the policy
editor shouldn't even exist on that system. I suspect that you are correct in
thinking that the issue lies in the registry. If I knew the registry
equivalents of those policies I'd ask you to look in those locations. But
there are a number of registry locations which contain, for instance, the
significant wording "Do no display last user name", and I don't really think
it would be wise to start fiddling with them. Though, if I had a spare Vista
machine to whack about on, I'd edit its registry just to satisfy my curiosity
-- and, also, in hope of being able to provide some help.

What we need is a registry reference. I've used them in the past, but am
kind of out of that line now.

"AirMarshall" wrote:

> Yes sure would be greatful for any ideas.
> At least microsoft Tech Supp has escalated my call to higher beings,
> so i await their call on tuesday but i will hav a peek at those two settings
> you mentioned.
>
> I have a gut feeling its a registry problem but perhaps thats just being
> optomistic.
> if only it was as easy as adding them to a list (or perhaps it is?)
>
> Thanks for posts so far!
>
> --
> A fool always finds a greater fool to follow him.
>

> "jimmuh" wrote:
>
> > That's really odd. Your system is behaving as though two policies are
> > functioning on it.
> >
> > Interactive logon: Do no show last user (Enabled)
> > Interactive logon: Do not use CTRL+ALT+DEL (Disabled)
> >
> > But your original XP version and the new one are HOME versions, and they do
> > not have policy editors. I've seen a lot of bizarre stuff like this on
> > upgrade installations of Vista over earlier operating systems. I know a lot
> > of people say that the upgrade works, but I wouldn't do it on any system that
> > was important to me.
> >
> > I'll be interested to see if Jimmy Brush has a suggestion for you.
> > Obviously, you can just use the system as is, but...
> >
> > "AirMarshall" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > > yes i can login by typing one of the old XP and new Vista accounts i set up
> > > to test if that would work.
> > >
> > > --
> > > A fool always finds a greater fool to follow him.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: No Accounts Displaying On Login Screen
Hi JB

I just happened to be testing those two settings, for another user,
yesterday. Here are the results.

If you are using Vista Business, Enterprise or Ultimate, you can use the
Group Policy Editor to set the following policies.

Go to Start and type gpedit.msc and in the results, click to open the Group
Policy Editor. Navigate to Local Computer Policy / Computer Configuration /
Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options.
Set the following options.

Interactive logon: Do not display last user name - Enabled

This will cause the old style login dialog to appear automatically, where
you must enter a user name and password to log in.

If you also want to require that users press CTRL+ALT+DEL to make the login
dialog appear, set the following in the group policy editor.

Interactive logon: Do not require CTRL+ALT+DEL - Disabled

If you are using Vista Home Basic or Home Premium you can use the registry
to set these same policies. Go to Start and type regedt32.exe. In the
results, right click regedit32.exe and select the Run As Administrator
option.

Warning, you should always backup the registry prior to making any changes.

Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System

Double click the following value and change the value data setting.

DontDisplayLastUserName (Change the Value Data to 1 (one) and click OK)

This will cause the old style login dialog to appear automatically, where
you must enter a user name and password to log in.

If you also want to require that users press CTRL+ALT+DEL to manually make
the login dialog appear, you must create the following registry DWord value.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System

In the right side pane, right click and select New / DWORD (32-bit) Value.
Name this value DisableCAD (Case sensitive) double click the new dword
and make sure the Value Data is set to 0 (Zero) click OK.

Exit the registry editor and reboot to see the changes. You will be required
to press CTRL+ALT+DEL and enter a user name and password to login.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"jimmuh" <jimmuh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I don't think you'll be able to check those policies because the policy
> editor shouldn't even exist on that system. I suspect that you are correct
> in
> thinking that the issue lies in the registry. If I knew the registry
> equivalents of those policies I'd ask you to look in those locations. But
> there are a number of registry locations which contain, for instance, the
> significant wording "Do no display last user name", and I don't really
> think
> it would be wise to start fiddling with them. Though, if I had a spare
> Vista
> machine to whack about on, I'd edit its registry just to satisfy my
> curiosity
> -- and, also, in hope of being able to provide some help.
>
> What we need is a registry reference. I've used them in the past, but am
> kind of out of that line now.
>
> "AirMarshall" wrote:
>
>> Yes sure would be greatful for any ideas.
>> At least microsoft Tech Supp has escalated my call to higher beings,
>> so i await their call on tuesday but i will hav a peek at those two
>> settings
>> you mentioned.
>>
>> I have a gut feeling its a registry problem but perhaps thats just being
>> optomistic.
>> if only it was as easy as adding them to a list (or perhaps it is?)
>>
>> Thanks for posts so far!
>>
>> --
>> A fool always finds a greater fool to follow him.
>>

>> "jimmuh" wrote:
>>
>> > That's really odd. Your system is behaving as though two policies are
>> > functioning on it.
>> >
>> > Interactive logon: Do no show last user (Enabled)
>> > Interactive logon: Do not use CTRL+ALT+DEL (Disabled)
>> >
>> > But your original XP version and the new one are HOME versions, and
>> > they do
>> > not have policy editors. I've seen a lot of bizarre stuff like this on
>> > upgrade installations of Vista over earlier operating systems. I know a
>> > lot
>> > of people say that the upgrade works, but I wouldn't do it on any
>> > system that
>> > was important to me.
>> >
>> > I'll be interested to see if Jimmy Brush has a suggestion for you.
>> > Obviously, you can just use the system as is, but...

jimmuh

Re: No Accounts Displaying On Login Screen
And, right on cue, the "reference" appears! Thank you for that information,
Ronnie Vernon! I'm making a note of it for my own records. Though I doubt
that any of the systems I'll ever service or use at work or home will be
without a policy editor (And this would be one of the reasons.) I do know
people who will undboubtedly get one of the home versions. And some of them
may want to use these features.

Jimmy

Your welcome, glad this helped.

--

> [...]
>> > equivalents of those policies I'd ask you to look in those locations.
>> > But
>> > there are a number of registry locations which contain, for instance,
>> > the
>> > significant wording "Do no display last user name", and I don't really
>> > think
>> > it would be wise to start fiddling with them. Though, if I had a spare
>> > Vista
>> > machine to whack about on, I'd edit its registry just to satisfy my
>> > curiosity
>> > -- and, also, in hope of being able to provide some help.
>> >
>> > What we need is a registry reference. I've used them in the past, but
>> > am
>> > kind of out of that line now.

jimmuh

Re: No Accounts Displaying On Login Screen
Hey, AirMarshall, are you still with us? Did you read the information Ronnie
Vernon provided? I'm thinking that those registry edits may be just what you
need!