VISTA STOLEN LOGIN PASSWORD

tanuxaxa

VISTA STOLEN LOGIN PASSWORD
Hello everyone!

Just picked up my laptop from bestbuy. It was taken care of cus of
outside spill damage. It wasn`t requred to log in computer during
reparing process so i didn`t leave the password. And now I was about
to log in and BAM my computer does not ask me about the password!

I have only one account on my Windows Vista Ultimate and it was
password protected even in a safe mode. So, how could bestbuy guys do
it???? If they could everyone else can!!!

Can anyone tell me how can I protect my personal data for 100%???

Mike Brannigan

Re: VISTA STOLEN LOGIN PASSWORD
"tanuxaxa" <tanyaru@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1179720495.044786.39760@a26g2000pre.googlegro ups.com...
> Hello everyone!
>
> Just picked up my laptop from bestbuy. It was taken care of cus of
> outside spill damage. It wasn`t requred to log in computer during
> reparing process so i didn`t leave the password. And now I was about
> to log in and BAM my computer does not ask me about the password!
>
> I have only one account on my Windows Vista Ultimate and it was
> password protected even in a safe mode. So, how could bestbuy guys do
> it???? If they could everyone else can!!!

There are a number of ways of resetting a password once you have physical
access to the PC.

> Can anyone tell me how can I protect my personal data for 100%???

Easy - do not give your PC to anyone - without physical security you have no
security at all.
Once you give someone the laptop unless you have Bit locker running there
are a number of ways of circumventing the security measures in the operating
system.
This is true of pretty much any operating system that once you have physical
unrestricted access to the device you can gain access.

--

Mike Brannigan

Mike Matheny

Re: VISTA STOLEN LOGIN PASSWORD
tanuxaxa explained on 5/20/2007 :
> Hello everyone!
>
> Just picked up my laptop from bestbuy. It was taken care of cus of
> outside spill damage. It wasn`t requred to log in computer during
> reparing process so i didn`t leave the password. And now I was about
> to log in and BAM my computer does not ask me about the password!
>
> I have only one account on my Windows Vista Ultimate and it was
> password protected even in a safe mode. So, how could bestbuy guys do
> it???? If they could everyone else can!!!
>
> Can anyone tell me how can I protect my personal data for 100%???

ERD Commander, for one. ;-)

--

Mike Matheny