System admin.

Christina1972

System admin.
I can't get my computer to do things. It keeps telling me I need permission
from the system admin. and as far as I can tell I am listed as the admin. A
friend said when we hooked up the lap top for the first time it may have
created the admin. account automaticly and without knowing it I created
another admin. account ...... when I go to switch user or add / remove
accounts there are only 3 listed mine , guest ,and the one I have created for
my children. Mine says admistrator. If I have another admin. account where do
I find it? Thank you for your time
Jimmy Brush

Re: System admin.
Hello,

In Windows Vista, even though you are an administrator, only programs
that ask for your permission ("Windows needs your permission to
continue") are allowed to use your administrator powers.

If a program does not ask for your permission and tries to perform an
administrative action, it will think that you are not an
administrator, when the problem is actually that it did not ask you
for your permission.

To start a program with administrator power that does not ask for it,
right-click the program, and click Run As Administrator.

If it still does not believe your are an administrator, you can try
running the program in Windows XP compatability mode and see if that
helps:

- Right-click the program
- Click properties
- Click compatability tab
- Select Windows XP compatability mode

Also, check with your program's website to see if it has updates that
make it vista-compatible.

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell

On Sun, 20 May 2007 12:35:01 -0700, Christina1972
<Christina1972@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I can't get my computer to do things. It keeps telling me I need permission
>from the system admin. and as far as I can tell I am listed as the admin. A
>friend said when we hooked up the lap top for the first time it may have
>created the admin. account automaticly and without knowing it I created
>another admin. account ...... when I go to switch user or add / remove
>accounts there are only 3 listed mine , guest ,and the one I have created for
>my children. Mine says admistrator. If I have another admin. account where do
>I find it? Thank you for your time

Christina1972

Re: System admin.
Okay I will try that. thank you
Ps: will this help me remove icons of uninstalled programs from my add and
remove list? or is that something else?

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In Windows Vista, even though you are an administrator, only programs
> that ask for your permission ("Windows needs your permission to
> continue") are allowed to use your administrator powers.
>
> If a program does not ask for your permission and tries to perform an
> administrative action, it will think that you are not an
> administrator, when the problem is actually that it did not ask you
> for your permission.
>
> To start a program with administrator power that does not ask for it,
> right-click the program, and click Run As Administrator.
>
> If it still does not believe your are an administrator, you can try
> running the program in Windows XP compatability mode and see if that
> helps:
>
> - Right-click the program
> - Click properties
> - Click compatability tab
> - Select Windows XP compatability mode
>
> Also, check with your program's website to see if it has updates that
> make it vista-compatible.
>
> --
> -JB
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell
> Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
>
> On Sun, 20 May 2007 12:35:01 -0700, Christina1972
> <Christina1972@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I can't get my computer to do things. It keeps telling me I need permission
> >from the system admin. and as far as I can tell I am listed as the admin. A
> >friend said when we hooked up the lap top for the first time it may have
> >created the admin. account automaticly and without knowing it I created
> >another admin. account ...... when I go to switch user or add / remove
> >accounts there are only 3 listed mine , guest ,and the one I have created for
> >my children. Mine says admistrator. If I have another admin. account where do
> >I find it? Thank you for your time

Jimmy Brush

Re: System admin.
The add/remove list is different. What does it say when you try to
remove it?

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell
Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

On Mon, 21 May 2007 08:11:06 -0700, Christina1972
<Christina1972@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Okay I will try that. thank you
>Ps: will this help me remove icons of uninstalled programs from my add and
>remove list? or is that something else?
>
>"Jimmy Brush" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> In Windows Vista, even though you are an administrator, only programs
>> that ask for your permission ("Windows needs your permission to
>> continue") are allowed to use your administrator powers.
>>
>> If a program does not ask for your permission and tries to perform an
>> administrative action, it will think that you are not an
>> administrator, when the problem is actually that it did not ask you
>> for your permission.
>>
>> To start a program with administrator power that does not ask for it,
>> right-click the program, and click Run As Administrator.
>>
>> If it still does not believe your are an administrator, you can try
>> running the program in Windows XP compatability mode and see if that
>> helps:
>>
>> - Right-click the program
>> - Click properties
>> - Click compatability tab
>> - Select Windows XP compatability mode
>>
>> Also, check with your program's website to see if it has updates that
>> make it vista-compatible.
>>
>> --
>> -JB
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell
>> Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
>>
>> On Sun, 20 May 2007 12:35:01 -0700, Christina1972
>> <Christina1972@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I can't get my computer to do things. It keeps telling me I need permission
>> >from the system admin. and as far as I can tell I am listed as the admin. A
>> >friend said when we hooked up the lap top for the first time it may have
>> >created the admin. account automaticly and without knowing it I created
>> >another admin. account ...... when I go to switch user or add / remove
>> >accounts there are only 3 listed mine , guest ,and the one I have created for
>> >my children. Mine says admistrator. If I have another admin. account where do
>> >I find it? Thank you for your time

Christina1972

Re: System admin.
It says the system adm. has set poloicies to prevent this installation. it is
already uninstalled , now I just can't remove it's icon from the list of
programs.