Shrink Volume

Bill Goodbody

Shrink Volume
I can't get a volume to shrink.
I have tried vairous defrag programs to maximize free space, turned off
paging.
They still leave some small stuff at the end, and I can't tell how to
get rid of it so I can shrink the volume.
HELP!

JerryM

Re: Shrink Volume
Do you mean shrink a Partition?
Are you using Disk Management?

--

Jerry

One thing money can't buy,
The wagging tail of a dog.

"Bill Goodbody" <wkgoodbody@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I can't get a volume to shrink.
> I have tried vairous defrag programs to maximize free space, turned off
> paging.
> They still leave some small stuff at the end, and I can't tell how to
> get rid of it so I can shrink the volume.
> HELP!

Bill Goodbody

Re: Shrink Volume
Yes, while there is alot of space available 30 gb out of 60, it won't allow
me to shrink at all as there are some file near the end.

I have used to differeent compression programs, and shut off paging, but
still an't do it?
"JerryM" <jerrym526@msn.org> wrote in message
> Do you mean shrink a Partition?
> Are you using Disk Management?
>
> --
>
> Jerry
>
> One thing money can't buy,
> The wagging tail of a dog.
>
> "Bill Goodbody" <wkgoodbody@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I can't get a volume to shrink.
>> I have tried vairous defrag programs to maximize free space, turned
>> off paging.
>> They still leave some small stuff at the end, and I can't tell how to
>> get rid of it so I can shrink the volume.
>> HELP!

JerryM

Re: Shrink Volume
Bill,
You can force it to shrink by entering the amount of space to shrink in MB.

Experiment with it by Entering 10,000,000 MB ( that's 10 gb)
I have done this without losing any programs.

I wouldn't go below 40 gb for your OP size.

--

> Yes, while there is alot of space available 30 gb out of 60, it won't
> allow me to shrink at all as there are some file near the end.
>
> I have used to differeent compression programs, and shut off paging, but
> still an't do it?
> "JerryM" <jerrym526@msn.org> wrote in message
>> Do you mean shrink a Partition?
>> Are you using Disk Management?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Jerry
>>
>> One thing money can't buy,
>> The wagging tail of a dog.
>>
>> "Bill Goodbody" <wkgoodbody@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I can't get a volume to shrink.
>>> I have tried vairous defrag programs to maximize free space, turned
>>> off paging.
>>> They still leave some small stuff at the end, and I can't tell how to
>>> get rid of it so I can shrink the volume.
>>> HELP!

JerryM

Re: Shrink Volume
Better make that 10,000 MB to start with (10 gb)

--

Jerry

One thing money can't buy,
The wagging tail of a dog.

> Bill,
> You can force it to shrink by entering the amount of space to shrink in
> MB.
>
> Experiment with it by Entering 10,000,000 MB ( that's 10 gb)
> I have done this without losing any programs.
>
> I wouldn't go below 40 gb for your OP size.
>
> --
>
> Jerry
>
> One thing money can't buy,
> The wagging tail of a dog.
>
> "Bill Goodbody" <wkgoodbody@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Yes, while there is alot of space available 30 gb out of 60, it won't
>> allow me to shrink at all as there are some file near the end.
>>
>> I have used to differeent compression programs, and shut off paging, but
>> still an't do it?
>> "JerryM" <jerrym526@msn.org> wrote in message
>>> Do you mean shrink a Partition?
>>> Are you using Disk Management?
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Jerry
>>>
>>> One thing money can't buy,
>>> The wagging tail of a dog.

Bill Goodbody

Re: Shrink Volume
Eventually it resolved itself, by removing more intalled software and
recompressing using Perfect Disk Rx