Remove Admin from Welcome Screen & NOT UAC

Norbster

Remove Admin from Welcome Screen & NOT UAC
Hello,

I tried the XP registry edit to remove the Administrator account from the
Welcome screen, which worked great. The only problem is now when a user needs
to have their credentials escalated to Admin rights the Administrator account
is absent from the UAC box. There is also no option to select a user...

Does anyone know a work around for this? I want the person using this laptop
to know the Admin password but not be able to easily login as Admin.

Thanks!
-Norbster
SimonW

RE: Remove Admin from Welcome Screen & NOT UAC
Hello
I have the same problem. Except I am unable to perform any Administrative
tasks becasue my only true Administrator was previously hidden from the
Welcome Screen and remains so after upgrading from XP to Vista Home Premium.

When I attempt to run regedt32.exe As Administrator my UAC dialogue appears
but there is no password box, and so am unable to elevate.

How did you get on with your issue ?

Thanks in advance, Simon

"Norbster" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I tried the XP registry edit to remove the Administrator account from the
> Welcome screen, which worked great. The only problem is now when a user needs
> to have their credentials escalated to Admin rights the Administrator account
> is absent from the UAC box. There is also no option to select a user...
>
> Does anyone know a work around for this? I want the person using this laptop
> to know the Admin password but not be able to easily login as Admin.
>
> Thanks!
> -Norbster

Norbster

RE: Remove Admin from Welcome Screen & NOT UAC
I don't think the way I resolved the Admin being hidden will work for you...
I cheated and used system restore. I would say try to login to your computer
over remote desktop and see if you can login as Administrator.

-Norbster

"SimonW" wrote:

> Hello
> I have the same problem. Except I am unable to perform any Administrative
> tasks becasue my only true Administrator was previously hidden from the
> Welcome Screen and remains so after upgrading from XP to Vista Home Premium.
>
> When I attempt to run regedt32.exe As Administrator my UAC dialogue appears
> but there is no password box, and so am unable to elevate.
>
> How did you get on with your issue ?
>
> Thanks in advance, Simon
>
> "Norbster" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I tried the XP registry edit to remove the Administrator account from the
> > Welcome screen, which worked great. The only problem is now when a user needs
> > to have their credentials escalated to Admin rights the Administrator account
> > is absent from the UAC box. There is also no option to select a user...
> >
> > Does anyone know a work around for this? I want the person using this laptop
> > to know the Admin password but not be able to easily login as Admin.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > -Norbster

SimonW

RE: Remove Admin from Welcome Screen & NOT UAC
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I cannot access any settings to permit
remote access. I've reinstalled Vista. The problem arose from having a
previously "hidden" Administrator account on XP - Vista sees this as
"Disabled", not hidden!

Many thanks and good luck...

"Norbster" wrote:

> I don't think the way I resolved the Admin being hidden will work for you...
> I cheated and used system restore. I would say try to login to your computer
> over remote desktop and see if you can login as Administrator.
>
> -Norbster
>
> "SimonW" wrote:
>
> > Hello
> > I have the same problem. Except I am unable to perform any Administrative
> > tasks becasue my only true Administrator was previously hidden from the
> > Welcome Screen and remains so after upgrading from XP to Vista Home Premium.
> >
> > When I attempt to run regedt32.exe As Administrator my UAC dialogue appears
> > but there is no password box, and so am unable to elevate.
> >
> > How did you get on with your issue ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance, Simon
> >
> > "Norbster" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I tried the XP registry edit to remove the Administrator account from the
> > > Welcome screen, which worked great. The only problem is now when a user needs
> > > to have their credentials escalated to Admin rights the Administrator account
> > > is absent from the UAC box. There is also no option to select a user...
> > >
> > > Does anyone know a work around for this? I want the person using this laptop
> > > to know the Admin password but not be able to easily login as Admin.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > -Norbster

Norbster

RE: Remove Admin from Welcome Screen & NOT UAC
I would suggest using a special Linux boot CD to set the Admin account to
enabled. The one I've successfully used on XP is <a
href="http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html">here</a>.

This may (probably) or may not work in Vista - I haven't tried it.

If you do try this, please let me know how it worked.

Thanks,
-Norbster

"SimonW" wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I cannot access any settings to permit
> remote access. I've reinstalled Vista. The problem arose from having a
> previously "hidden" Administrator account on XP - Vista sees this as
> "Disabled", not hidden!
>
> Many thanks and good luck...
>
> "Norbster" wrote:
>
> > I don't think the way I resolved the Admin being hidden will work for you...
> > I cheated and used system restore. I would say try to login to your computer
> > over remote desktop and see if you can login as Administrator.
> >
> > -Norbster
> >
> > "SimonW" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello
> > > I have the same problem. Except I am unable to perform any Administrative
> > > tasks becasue my only true Administrator was previously hidden from the
> > > Welcome Screen and remains so after upgrading from XP to Vista Home Premium.
> > >
> > > When I attempt to run regedt32.exe As Administrator my UAC dialogue appears
> > > but there is no password box, and so am unable to elevate.
> > >
> > > How did you get on with your issue ?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance, Simon

Norbster

RE: Remove Admin from Welcome Screen & NOT UAC
I would suggest using a special Linux boot CD to enable the Admin account.
The one I've successfully used on XP is available at the link below with a
set of instructions. It's very easy to use.

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html"

They say that it's Vista compatible. I haven't tried it on there but I think
it should work just fine.

If you try this, please let me know how it worked/if it solved your problem.

Thanks,
-Norbster