Installation ProblemS

Joe

Installation ProblemS
Hi,

I used the trial of Vista Home Premium for two weeks and it has expired.
Through Penn State (The college of IST), I can obtain the Vista Business.
However, I am not able to use the Business product key with the Home Premium
I have already installed. Penn State (The College of IST) posts the Vista
Business files online, and I do not have access to a dvd burner and therefore
I cannot download the Business files to a dvd to boot it. My question is:
With the reduced funcitonallity version of the Home Premium I currently have,
is there a way to install the business version from installation files that
are provided on the internet by Penn State, without downloading it to a dvd
to boot it? Or, do you have any other suggestions in how to go about
installing Vista Business from these files provided on internet? Or is there
a different way for me to access a bootable dvd version of Vista Business? (I
already have to product key for it from Penn State, The College of IST.

Thanks a lot,

Joe
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Installation ProblemS
Why not just contact Penn State? Only they can answer these questions.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I used the trial of Vista Home Premium for two weeks and it has expired.
> Through Penn State (The college of IST), I can obtain the Vista Business.
> However, I am not able to use the Business product key with the Home
> Premium
> I have already installed. Penn State (The College of IST) posts the Vista
> Business files online, and I do not have access to a dvd burner and
> therefore
> I cannot download the Business files to a dvd to boot it. My question is:
> With the reduced funcitonallity version of the Home Premium I currently
> have,
> is there a way to install the business version from installation files
> that
> are provided on the internet by Penn State, without downloading it to a
> dvd
> to boot it? Or, do you have any other suggestions in how to go about
> installing Vista Business from these files provided on internet? Or is
> there
> a different way for me to access a bootable dvd version of Vista Business?
> (I
> already have to product key for it from Penn State, The College of IST.
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Joe

Patrick Dickey

Re: Installation ProblemS

"Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I used the trial of Vista Home Premium for two weeks and it has expired.
> Through Penn State (The college of IST), I can obtain the Vista Business.
> However, I am not able to use the Business product key with the Home
> Premium
> I have already installed. Penn State (The College of IST) posts the Vista
> Business files online, and I do not have access to a dvd burner and
> therefore
> I cannot download the Business files to a dvd to boot it. My question is:
> With the reduced funcitonallity version of the Home Premium I currently
> have,
> is there a way to install the business version from installation files
> that
> are provided on the internet by Penn State, without downloading it to a
> dvd
> to boot it? Or, do you have any other suggestions in how to go about
> installing Vista Business from these files provided on internet? Or is
> there
> a different way for me to access a bootable dvd version of Vista Business?
> (I
> already have to product key for it from Penn State, The College of IST.
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Joe

Hi Joe,

When you say you used the trial of Home Premium, is it safe to assume
that you downloaded a DVD version of it, and burned that? If so, then you
can reinstall with the Business key, and it will put the components for
Business on (although you'll lose the Home Premium components).

Another option is to either contact Penn State, and see if you can have
them burn the DVD for you (this is your best bet), or download a third party
program which emulates a Virtual DVD drive (I'm not sure whether Daemon
Tools has been updated to work with Vista, but it's an excellent program).
Download the iso file that Penn State is providing, and load it up in the
virtual DVD drive. Then run the upgrade setup from there. Hopefully that
will work for you.

Hope this helps you. :-)
Patrick.

--
Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.