Unable to run program as user or admin

lop

Unable to run program as user or admin
when trying to run medical software I receive the following error.

There was an problem when trying to read and write to a file.

You most likely do not have proper authority to run Symptom Survey Maestro
on this PC.

You need to verify that your log-on name/password for this PC has
administrator privileges. Or, you need to "Run As" a user that has
Administrator privileges.

You will not be able to continue until this is corrected.
Jimmy Brush

Re: Unable to run program as user or admin
Hello,

In Windows Vista, even if you are logged in as an administrator,
programs are not able to use your administrator power unless they ask
you for permission.

If a program does not automatically ask you for permission, you can
right-click on the program and click Run As Administrator to
explicitly give it such permission.

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell

On Fri, 18 May 2007 09:21:01 -0700, lop
<lop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>when trying to run medical software I receive the following error.
>
>There was an problem when trying to read and write to a file.
>
>You most likely do not have proper authority to run Symptom Survey Maestro
>on this PC.
>
> You need to verify that your log-on name/password for this PC has
>administrator privileges. Or, you need to "Run As" a user that has
>Administrator privileges.
>
>You will not be able to continue until this is corrected.

lop

Re: Unable to run program as user or admin
This error occurs even when i try to run as administrator

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In Windows Vista, even if you are logged in as an administrator,
> programs are not able to use your administrator power unless they ask
> you for permission.
>
> If a program does not automatically ask you for permission, you can
> right-click on the program and click Run As Administrator to
> explicitly give it such permission.
>
> --
> -JB
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell
> Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
>
> On Fri, 18 May 2007 09:21:01 -0700, lop
> <lop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >when trying to run medical software I receive the following error.
> >
> >There was an problem when trying to read and write to a file.
> >
> >You most likely do not have proper authority to run Symptom Survey Maestro
> >on this PC.
> >
> > You need to verify that your log-on name/password for this PC has
> >administrator privileges. Or, you need to "Run As" a user that has
> >Administrator privileges.
> >
> >You will not be able to continue until this is corrected.

Jimmy Brush

Re: Unable to run program as user or admin
Then based on the error message it is trying to access a file that
administrators do not have access to.

This may be the case if it is trying to modify a file in the
\windows\system32 folder.

Is there any way for you to tell what file it is needing access to?

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell
Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

On Fri, 18 May 2007 12:48:01 -0700, lop
<lop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>This error occurs even when i try to run as administrator
>
>"Jimmy Brush" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> In Windows Vista, even if you are logged in as an administrator,
>> programs are not able to use your administrator power unless they ask
>> you for permission.
>>
>> If a program does not automatically ask you for permission, you can
>> right-click on the program and click Run As Administrator to
>> explicitly give it such permission.
>>
>> --
>> -JB
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell
>> Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
>>
>> On Fri, 18 May 2007 09:21:01 -0700, lop
>> <lop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >when trying to run medical software I receive the following error.
>> >
>> >There was an problem when trying to read and write to a file.
>> >
>> >You most likely do not have proper authority to run Symptom Survey Maestro
>> >on this PC.
>> >
>> > You need to verify that your log-on name/password for this PC has
>> >administrator privileges. Or, you need to "Run As" a user that has
>> >Administrator privileges.
>> >
>> >You will not be able to continue until this is corrected.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Unable to run program as user or admin
Lop

Try right click that programs .exe file and selecting
Properties/Compatibility Tab. Select to Run as Windows XP and select the Run
As Administrator option.

You also need to contact the developers of that software and ask if they are
going to release a Vista compatible version of that program.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP