Can I access administrative C$ share without enabling admin accoun

=?Utf-8?B?S2VsbHk=?=

Can I access administrative C$ share without enabling admin accoun
I'm looking for a way to access the C$ and D$ administrative shares from an
XP PRO to Vista Business RTM install.

I know I can do this by enabling the Administrator account on the Vista PC
and using that username and password, but would prefer not to have to open up
the machine that far if not necessary.

If I enable th administrator account and use that in the batch file, I can
see and use the drives and folders... but using the username and password I
use locally on the Vista PC (the one created during installation), the drives
and folders on them are not accessible.

This is the batch file;

echo off
set password=******
set username=xxxxxxx
cls
echo.
echo Deleting mapped drives
echo.
@if exist m:\nul net use m: /delete >nul
@if exist n:\nul net use o: /delete >nul
@if exist p:\nul net use p: /delete >nul
@if exist q:\nul net use q: /delete >nul
@if exist \\vista01\c$\nul net use \\vista01\c$ /delete >nul
@if exist \\vista01\ipc$ net use \\vista01ipc$ /delete >nul
echo.
echo Re-mapping desktop drives
echo.
@net use \\%username% %password% /user:%username% >nul
@net use m: \\vista01\c$ >nul
@net use n: \\vista01\d$ >nul
@net use p: \\vista01\dvdrw >nul
@net use q: \\vista01\dvd >nul
echo.
net use
pause
:end

It resulsts in mapped drives...New connections will not be remembered.

Status Local Remote Network

Disconnected M: \\vista01\c$ Microsoft Windows Network
Disconnected N: \\vista01\d$ Microsoft Windows Network
Disconnected P: \\vista01\dvdrw Microsoft Windows Network
Disconnected Q: \\vista01\dvd Microsoft Windows Network
Disconnected \\vista01\IPC$ Microsoft Windows Network

=?Utf-8?B?S2VsbHk=?=

Re: Can I access administrative C$ share without enabling admin ac
PERFECT solution... works like a charm...Thank you.
BTW, the system restart was not needed.

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As a new security feature, Windows Vista by default does not allow
> non-domain administrators to use their administrator powers over a network
> (except through remote desktop, if enabled). One drawback to this is that
> there is no way to access the administrative shares on a default
> installation of Vista.
>
> To change this behavior without enabling the administrator account, you can
> allow all vista administrator accounts to use their administrator powers
> over the network by changing the following registry key:
>
> - Click start
> - Type: regedit
> - Press enter
> - In the left, browse to the following folder:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\system\
> - Right-click a blank area in the right pane
> - Click New
> - Click DWORD Value
> - Type: LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy
> - Double-click the item you just created
> - Type 1 into the box
> - Click OK
> - Restart your computer
>

> - JB
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows Vista Support Faq
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Jimmy Brush

Re: Can I access administrative C$ share without enabling admin ac
You're welcome .

- JB
cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: Can I access administrative C$ share without enabling admin accoun
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 17:03:27 -0500, "Jimmy Brush"

>As a new security feature, Windows Vista by default does not allow
>non-domain administrators to use their administrator powers over a network
>(except through remote desktop, if enabled). One drawback to this is that
>there is no way to access the administrative shares on a default
>installation of Vista.

I'm after the opposite; I'd like to be certain that no admin shares
(particularly those that offer full access to entire HD volumes) are
availible over any sort of network, no matter what credentials an
Internet or LAN entity may wave around.

XP Home used to be safe from this risk, in that null account password
or not, the hidden admin shares would not be network-accessible. Does
Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium enjoy the same benefit? Does
the answer change between Vista-32 and Vista-64?

Saws are too hard to use.
Be easier to use!