Admin on welcome screen

rlatz

Admin on welcome screen
On my system, I have 4 users, one admin and 3 standard user. Is it possible
to prevent that the admin user is shown on the welcome screen?

Thanks,
Ralf

Jimmy Brush

Re: Admin on welcome screen
Hello,

To do this, you will need to modify the registry.

- Click Start
- Type: regedit
- press enter
- browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
- Right-click Winlogon in the left, click New, click Key
- Name the new key: SpecialAccounts
- Select the key you just created, right-click it, click New, click
Key
- Name the new key: UserList
- Select the key you just created
- Right click it, click New, click DWORD (32-bit) Value
- Name the value the name of the user account you wish to be hidden
from the welcome screen
- That's all you need to do

The user account will no longer be visible. To make it visible again,
remove the corresponding DWORD Value from that registry key.

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell
Norbster

Re: Admin on welcome screen
I don't know if this is exactly the right place to post this - may need a new
thread

That's all fine and dandy until UAC gets in the way. I just did this because
I don't want a remote laptop user to be able to login as Admin (take
advantage of all those shiny new security features ;-) ). What happens is the
Administrator account disappears from the UAC box. Now the user is severely
limited in what they can do, no registry editing, and pressing Ctrl +Alt +Del
at the welcome screen twice (or a million times) doesn't get the old school
2K login back.

Anyone know how to fix this? Should I look into remote registry editing?

Thank you,
-Norbster
Jimmy Brush

Re: Admin on welcome screen
Hello,

I would suggest not hiding the admin user from the log on screen so it
will be available from the UAC prompt.

Just tell the user not to log in with the admin account and trust that
they won't.

You can't force them not to anyway, even if it worked the way you
expected it to, since they have the admin password and can re-enable
the account if they want to.

If you don't want the user to be an administrator, you should use the
security tools provided by windows to explicitly grant them the extra
permissions that they need (such as using the security tab on file
properties or registry key properties to give them access).

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell
Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/