Administrator Problems

mattmullins

Administrator Problems
I have set my account as an administrator but certain options within windows
are blocked by an administrator. I thought that I was the only admin as I am
the only person who uses the computer, but when looking through the Users
folder in Windows Explorer I found an Administrator account. How do I log
into or delete this account so that from my account all options are possible?
jimmuh

RE: Administrator Problems
Hi.

I think you are misunderstanding the prompts you are seeing. Vista behaves
quite differently from previous Windows versions with regard to permissions /
accounts. That "Administrator" account is a built-in account which is
disabled by default (and should remain so). It only becomes available as a
logon option in Safe Mode if all other admin accounts on the system have
become disabled.

To understand how User Account Control works, so that you can do the things
you want to do and so that you understand why UAC issues those prompts, you
might want to have a look at this:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...C/default.aspx

That should help you become comfortable with the way UAC works. I've seen a
lot of people balking at UAC because they don't understand the way it
functions. And who could blame them? Previous versions of Windows would let
an admin do just about anything without so much as a how-do-you-do. Though
most of us might think that's what we want, it definitely isn't what we want
when the operation being requested is being requested by an unknown and
unwanted daughter process of something else that we started. (One example of
a case in which UAC can save your bacon.)

I hope that article is helpful to you. The guy who wrote it is one of the
brightest porch lights on the block.