Default Password at C Prompt

J A Clarke

I have Windows XP and Vista RC2 installed on my computer. Through the XP
Recovery Console, I can receive a (DOS) prompt to logon to either OS. For XP,
entering nothing works fine. However, when trying to logon to Vista, I
receive an error when entering a blank password. Is there a default password
for Vista? This problem occured when I stupidly installed XP on my HD which
was already running Vista, and did not use a new partition. I have XP running
from C:\win and Vista running from C:\Windows. I just want to be able to run
Vista again. Many thanks in advance for any assistance!
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: Default Password at C Prompt
Hello,
I wouldn't expect Recovery Console for Windows XP allow for a Windows Vista
Logon.
The Repair option on the Windows VIsta DVD is much more useful and offers
better options for Windows Vista than does Recovery Console for Windows XP.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|>From: =?Utf-8?B?SiBBIENsYXJrZQ==?= <J A Clarke@discussions.microsoft.com>
|>Subject: Default Password at C Prompt
|>Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 08:36:03 -0700
|>Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_acco unts_passwords

|>I have Windows XP and Vista RC2 installed on my computer. Through the XP
|>Recovery Console, I can receive a (DOS) prompt to logon to either OS. For
XP,
|>entering nothing works fine. However, when trying to logon to Vista, I
|>receive an error when entering a blank password. Is there a default
password
|>for Vista? This problem occured when I stupidly installed XP on my HD
which
|>was already running Vista, and did not use a new partition. I have XP
running
|>from C:\win and Vista running from C:\Windows. I just want to be able to
run
|>Vista again. Many thanks in advance for any assistance!

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Default Password at C Prompt
J. A.

Did Vista come pre-installed on that system? Unless you have a Vista
installation disk or the computer manufacturer included recovery options,
you are pretty much stuck. Installing 2 operating systems on the same
partition is an absolute no-no and installing a previous OS on top of a
newer OS is just as bad.

You might want to try rebooting and pressing F8 when the system first starts
to initialize. This will give you a screen with menu options that may
include recovery modules that system manufacturer has installed.

If none of these options work, you may want to contact support for that
system and they should be able to get you back to the factory state.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP