File sharing problems in Vista Home Premium

suzystabalot

File sharing problems in Vista Home Premium
I can't get folder sharing to work at all on my computer. I have tried
everything I can find on the internet, but nobody seems to have the same
problem as me.
When I try to turn public folder sharing on, I get the message "The RPC
server is unavailable."
If I try to put the folder I want to share in my public folder, I get the
message "You need permission to perform this action."
I am the only user on this computer and I don't see anything wrong with the
administration stuff. I've posted this once in here but never got a reply,
probably because nobody else knew what to do either.
I have to say, compared to XP, Vista is a unbelievable pain in the ass for
almost everything. If Mac had a tablet, I would've gotten one.
Any clue what I can do to fix this problem?
Paul

Re: File sharing problems in Vista Home Premium
Using Windows Explorer, find the folder, click on Properties. Select the
Security tab, edit your privileges to Full Control, Apply, then you should
be able to share the folder. I found this out by accident when I tried to
rename a folder (mis-typed the name and didn't catch it until after I hit
Enter ). I have Vista Home Premium.
Paul
"suzystabalot" <suzystabalot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news642093A-FF6E-4381-BBE4-889C6DB848D0@microsoft.com...
>I can't get folder sharing to work at all on my computer. I have tried
> everything I can find on the internet, but nobody seems to have the same
> problem as me.
> When I try to turn public folder sharing on, I get the message "The RPC
> server is unavailable."
> If I try to put the folder I want to share in my public folder, I get the
> message "You need permission to perform this action."
> I am the only user on this computer and I don't see anything wrong with
> the
> administration stuff. I've posted this once in here but never got a
> reply,
> probably because nobody else knew what to do either.
> I have to say, compared to XP, Vista is a unbelievable pain in the ass for
> almost everything. If Mac had a tablet, I would've gotten one.
> Any clue what I can do to fix this problem?

suzystabalot

Re: File sharing problems in Vista Home Premium
Thanks a lot for the reply. I've tried that one too ... I'm really starting
to think there's a problem with the OS (you know, a REAL problem, not one of
the normal Vista problems ^_^) or maybe it's somehow the computer's fault.

"Paul" wrote:

> Using Windows Explorer, find the folder, click on Properties. Select the
> Security tab, edit your privileges to Full Control, Apply, then you should
> be able to share the folder. I found this out by accident when I tried to
> rename a folder (mis-typed the name and didn't catch it until after I hit
> Enter ). I have Vista Home Premium.
> Paul
> "suzystabalot" <suzystabalot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news642093A-FF6E-4381-BBE4-889C6DB848D0@microsoft.com...
> >I can't get folder sharing to work at all on my computer. I have tried
> > everything I can find on the internet, but nobody seems to have the same
> > problem as me.
> > When I try to turn public folder sharing on, I get the message "The RPC
> > server is unavailable."
> > If I try to put the folder I want to share in my public folder, I get the
> > message "You need permission to perform this action."
> > I am the only user on this computer and I don't see anything wrong with
> > the
> > administration stuff. I've posted this once in here but never got a
> > reply,
> > probably because nobody else knew what to do either.
> > I have to say, compared to XP, Vista is a unbelievable pain in the ass for
> > almost everything. If Mac had a tablet, I would've gotten one.
> > Any clue what I can do to fix this problem?

dmex

Re: File sharing problems in Vista Home Premium

RPC Service...sounds like a services issue...
Goto the start menu, click the search bar at the very bottom and type
services and open it, scroll down untill you find one item called Server
and make sure its set to automatic startup and it has started, this
should fix the RPC server unavailable error message, if it does not fix
it there are some other tools and settings to check that might reveal
whats causing it. Post back with your results.

--
dmex
Patrick Dickey

> Thanks a lot for the reply. I've tried that one too ... I'm really
> starting
> to think there's a problem with the OS (you know, a REAL problem, not one
> of
> the normal Vista problems ^_^) or maybe it's somehow the computer's fault.
>
> "Paul" wrote:
>
>> Using Windows Explorer, find the folder, click on Properties. Select the
>> Security tab, edit your privileges to Full Control, Apply, then you
>> should
>> be able to share the folder. I found this out by accident when I tried to
>> rename a folder (mis-typed the name and didn't catch it until after I hit
>> Enter ). I have Vista Home Premium.
>> Paul
>> "suzystabalot" <suzystabalot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news642093A-FF6E-4381-BBE4-889C6DB848D0@microsoft.com...
>> >I can't get folder sharing to work at all on my computer. I have tried
>> > everything I can find on the internet, but nobody seems to have the
>> > same
>> > problem as me.
>> > When I try to turn public folder sharing on, I get the message "The RPC
>> > server is unavailable."
>> > If I try to put the folder I want to share in my public folder, I get
>> > the
>> > message "You need permission to perform this action."
>> > I am the only user on this computer and I don't see anything wrong with
>> > the
>> > administration stuff. I've posted this once in here but never got a
>> > reply,
>> > probably because nobody else knew what to do either.
>> > I have to say, compared to XP, Vista is a unbelievable pain in the ass
>> > for
>> > almost everything. If Mac had a tablet, I would've gotten one.
>> > Any clue what I can do to fix this problem?

Hi suzy,
Have you tried taking ownership of both the public folder and the one
that you want to share? If you click on the Security tab, and click down
near the bottom in Advanced (Special Permissions), there should be a tab in
the box that appears which concerns ownership. You can take ownership of
the folder there (and all of it's subfolders).
I would recommend trying that on the folder that you want to share, and
if it doesn't work, then take ownership of the public folders as well, and
you should be able to copy the folder in there.
Also, it should be noted, that if you're trying to access the folders
via a network connection, your "Permissions" are going to be limited to
whatever you specify in the "Permissions" button on the Sharing Tab. These
are the effective permissions that are given to network access, and the
going rule of thumb is "You get the most restrictive permissions available
to you." So, you'll want to add your user account with Full Control in that
area as well.

Hopefully this helps you a little, and have a great week.:-)
Patrick.

--
Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.

suzystabalot

Re: File sharing problems in Vista Home Premium
That was actually one of the first things I tried. It still doesn't do
anything. It's actually kind of pathetic because googling my problem now
comes up with a bunch of posts made by me.

"dmex" wrote:

> RPC Service...sounds like a services issue...
> Goto the start menu, click the search bar at the very bottom and type
> services and open it, scroll down untill you find one item called Server
> and make sure its set to automatic startup and it has started, this
> should fix the RPC server unavailable error message, if it does not fix
> it there are some other tools and settings to check that might reveal
> whats causing it. Post back with your results.
>

> --
> dmex

dmex

Re: File sharing problems in Vista Home Premium

hmm well if you havnt disabled any services and its still mostly in
default settings you might need todo a repair, you cant fix most RPC
issues unless its todo with services or the registry.
Do you know what might haves caused this like installing a certin
program or running a utility program cause these might be made for XP
and detect something vista needs as junk and delete it.

boot your vista dvd and when prompted enter your language infomation
and click ok...on the next screen down the bottom on the left it will
say "repair your computer" click it and do a file system check or system
restore.

this way you wont have to reinstall (yet) and it might repair the
problem
Let me know how it works...

--
dmex
dj

Re: File sharing problems in Vista Home Premium
On May 12, 9:15 pm, suzystabalot
<suzystaba...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I can't get folder sharing to work at all on my computer. I have tried
> everything I can find on the internet, but nobody seems to have the same
> problem as me.
> When I try to turn public folder sharing on, I get the message "The RPC
> server is unavailable."
> If I try to put the folder I want to share in my public folder, I get the
> message "You need permissionto perform this action."
> I am the only user on this computer and I don't see anything wrong with the
> administration stuff. I've posted this once in here but never got a reply,
> probably because nobody else knew what to do either.
> I have to say, compared to XP,Vistais a unbelievable pain in the ass for
> almost everything. If Mac had a tablet, I would've gotten one.
> Any clue what I can do to fix this problem?

I have the same problem.
If you follow all the hints, you will be able to transfer some, but
not all files.
Sneakernet works fine. Instead of floppies use USB Drives.

suzystabalot

Re: File sharing problems in Vista Home Premium
I'm trying to share over my network so I can play things on my TV. Nothing
is share-able even when I put it in the public folder. The issue is that I
can't even turn on public file sharing.
I can transfer files with hard drives but a hard drive can't be plugged into
my xbox and it's a pita to copy everything to the hard drive and then bring
it to another computer just so I can do what I should be able to do in the
first place.
I guess I may not be perfectly clear on what you're suggesting I should do ...