Strange User Account

Larry Pollane

Strange User Account
I have discovered a User Account on my system that I did not set up. The
User Accounts screen displays the following:

ASP.NET Machine Account
Standard User
Password Protected

Note that this account does not show up on my "Welcome" screen when I boot
my system.

Can someone tell mewhat this account is, where it came from and whether or
not I should delete it?

--Larry P.

Mike Brannigan

Re: Strange User Account
"Larry Pollane" <lp34@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have discovered a User Account on my system that I did not set up. The
>User Accounts screen displays the following:
>
> ASP.NET Machine Account
> Standard User
> Password Protected
>
> Note that this account does not show up on my "Welcome" screen when I boot
> my system.
>
> Can someone tell mewhat this account is, where it came from and whether or
> not I should delete it?
>
> --Larry P.

This is perfectly normal for and installation that has IIS installed and
ASP.
Just do a quick internet search adn yuo will read all about it.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...+Account&meta=
Maybe you could have done this search before coming here ?
--

Mike Brannigan

Dustin Harper

Re: Strange User Account
The ASP.net account is a byproduct of IIS. IIS requires it to be there, but
it will not show on the welcome screen. If you install other select
applications, you will get other strange accounts that are not on the
welcome screen, either. IIS needs an account for the ASP applications to run
in, and it won't use any accounts already on the machine, as they only need
very few privledges.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"Larry Pollane" <lp34@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have discovered a User Account on my system that I did not set up. The
>User Accounts screen displays the following:
>
> ASP.NET Machine Account
> Standard User
> Password Protected
>
> Note that this account does not show up on my "Welcome" screen when I boot
> my system.
>
> Can someone tell mewhat this account is, where it came from and whether or
> not I should delete it?
>
> --Larry P.

chick

Re: Strange User Account
Mike,
I thought that this site was to help people with problems. I do not consider
a suggestion to do a Google search before asking here is all that helpful.

"Mike Brannigan" wrote:

> "Larry Pollane" <lp34@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> >I have discovered a User Account on my system that I did not set up. The
> >User Accounts screen displays the following:
> >
> > ASP.NET Machine Account
> > Standard User
> > Password Protected
> >
> > Note that this account does not show up on my "Welcome" screen when I boot
> > my system.
> >
> > Can someone tell mewhat this account is, where it came from and whether or
> > not I should delete it?
> >
> > --Larry P.

> This is perfectly normal for and installation that has IIS installed and
> ASP.
> Just do a quick internet search adn yuo will read all about it.
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...+Account&meta=
> Maybe you could have done this search before coming here ?
> --
>
> Mike Brannigan

Mike Brannigan

Re: Strange User Account
"chick" <chick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Mike,
> I thought that this site was to help people with problems. I do not
> consider
> a suggestion to do a Google search before asking here is all that helpful.

Really? - if the OP had bothered to type into Google or any search engine
they would have found the answer immediately rather than posting here and
waiting for a reply.
The point of telling them to do a little search before posting here is
simply the modern version of "give a man a fish and feed him for a day ,
teach him to fish and he feeds himself for life".

This newsgroup is for helping with problems but those should be real
problems that a person cannot find as a simple answer to a question with a
10 second type into a search engine.
If more people helped themselves first (you know read the manual, look in
the built in help and do a quick internet search) then came here with the
really hard stuff it would radically reduce the noise ratio in here and
allow people to provide better and fuller responses to real issues rather
then trying to help lots of individuals who could have helped themselves
first.
--

Mike Brannigan