Logon with a CAC Reader?

Bloomer510

Logon with a CAC Reader?
I recently purchased a Smart Card Reader. I am using Vista Business. I wanted
to know if anyone knows if I can require a registered ID to be inserted, and
then a password to logon to windows? I am using NetSign CAC Version
4.2.0.1.155 to register and control settings for my CAC Card. I do not see
any option to force windows to require a card to logon, but if I pull the
card out, it immediately locks the computer.
Thanks
Sharon F

Re: Logon with a CAC Reader?
On Thu, 10 May 2007 21:48:01 -0700, Bloomer510 wrote:

> I recently purchased a Smart Card Reader. I am using Vista Business. I wanted
> to know if anyone knows if I can require a registered ID to be inserted, and
> then a password to logon to windows? I am using NetSign CAC Version
> 4.2.0.1.155 to register and control settings for my CAC Card. I do not see
> any option to force windows to require a card to logon, but if I pull the
> card out, it immediately locks the computer.
> Thanks

I do not know the answer to your question. I did look over the site for the
NetSign CAC software though. You have at least two things to consider:

NetSign CAC does not list Vista as a compatible operating system

NetSign is now at EOL (end of life) and it will no longer be developed
(http://www.saflink.com/products/nets...gn-CAC_EOL.pdf)
The PDF is pretty finite about the state of affairs and I think it's safe
to assume that if features are missing or broken (under Vista and under
previously supported operating systems), they will not be developed, added
or fixed.

If you can find a user forum focused on CAC cards and management software,
you might be able to get usable suggestions from other users of these
items. I hope you find the information that you're looking for.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Sharon F

Re: Logon with a CAC Reader?
On Thu, 10 May 2007 21:48:01 -0700, Bloomer510 wrote:

> I recently purchased a Smart Card Reader. I am using Vista Business. I wanted
> to know if anyone knows if I can require a registered ID to be inserted, and
> then a password to logon to windows? I am using NetSign CAC Version
> 4.2.0.1.155 to register and control settings for my CAC Card. I do not see
> any option to force windows to require a card to logon, but if I pull the
> card out, it immediately locks the computer.
> Thanks

PS: As for Vista settings, have you looked at secpol.msc yet? Under Local
Policies> Security Options, there is "Interactive logon: require smart
card"

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Bloomer510

Re: Logon with a CAC Reader?
Thank you, that was very helpful. I changed the setting, and logged off. It
told me I needed my smart card to logon just as I wanted it to. I put in my
smart card, and it still said the same thing. I rebooted in safe mode and
changed the setting back. You would not happen to know how to set it up so it
recognized my smart card with my user name?
Thank you

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Thu, 10 May 2007 21:48:01 -0700, Bloomer510 wrote:
>
> > I recently purchased a Smart Card Reader. I am using Vista Business. I wanted
> > to know if anyone knows if I can require a registered ID to be inserted, and
> > then a password to logon to windows? I am using NetSign CAC Version
> > 4.2.0.1.155 to register and control settings for my CAC Card. I do not see
> > any option to force windows to require a card to logon, but if I pull the
> > card out, it immediately locks the computer.
> > Thanks

> PS: As for Vista settings, have you looked at secpol.msc yet? Under Local
> Policies> Security Options, there is "Interactive logon: require smart
> card"
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Bruce Chambers

Re: Logon with a CAC Reader?
Bloomer510 wrote:
> Thank you, that was very helpful. I changed the setting, and logged off. It
> told me I needed my smart card to logon just as I wanted it to. I put in my
> smart card, and it still said the same thing. I rebooted in safe mode and
> changed the setting back. You would not happen to know how to set it up so it
> recognized my smart card with my user name?
> Thank you

You need to obtain Vista-specific device drivers from the card reader's
manufacturer.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: