Re: Restricting User Access Hours

Zakhary

Re: Restricting User Access Hours
I'm not sure if I understand the steps entirely with this option...

1) Install PsTools (which includes PsLoggedon) from

2) In cmd, key in all that that you entered...
@echo off "c:\RestrictedFolder\psloggedon.exe" | find /i "xxx" || goto :eof
shutdown.exe /s /f /t 3

Where "xxx" is?

???

"Pegasus [MVP]" wrote:

> "Zakhary" <Zakhary@discussions.microsoft.com> said this in news item
> > I'm not sure where to post this, so am posting it in "general"
> >
> > As a parent, I would like my children to not be able to use the computers
> > during certain hours of the night. There are two computers: one operates
> > on
> > XP; the other on Vista
> >
> > I was looking through the User Account and Computer Management console to
> > see if there was a way to establish user or group policies that restricted
> > particular users or groups from having the ability to log on during
> > certain
> > hours of the day. However, I had no success finding anything. Is there
> > any
> > way to do this that I was not able to find? Or, would I need a separate
> > program to be able to make these restrictions happen?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Zakhary

> You could create a scheduled task that runs under the System account once
> every minute during the restricted hours. It would invoke the following
> batch file (which you must store in a restricted location):
>
> @echo off
> "c:\RestrictedFolder\psloggedon.exe" | find /i "xxx" || goto :eof
> shutdown.exe /s /f /t 3
>
> You can get psloggedon.exe from www.sysinternals.com.
>
> .

Pegasus [MVP]

Re: Restricting User Access Hours
Sorry, I forgot to say that you need to replace xxx with the logon account
name used by your children.

The code I gave you is a batch file. You must put it into a location that is
inaccessible to your children. The following command will create such a
batch file, which I will call "close.bat":

notepad "c:\documents and settings\yakhary\my documents\close.bat{Enter}

After allowing the file to be created, you can copy & paste the code I gave
you into the notepad session, then save and close the file.

Remember to create a scheduled task to execute close.bat under the System
account once every five minutes.

Note also that many children of the current generation are very resourceful.
It would take me about five minutes to crack any restriction you might place
on your PC. It might take your children five days. As others have mentioned,
there are better was to assert your parental authority than putting padlocks
on your PC.