RE: Restricting User Access Hours

Zakhary

RE: Restricting User Access Hours
So far, all replies have referred either to internet-specific hour
restrictions via making changes on the router or links and suggestions on
searching through a search engine or forum.

1) I am interested in restricting full computer access on a per user or per
group basis; not just internet and not on a per computer or house-wide basis.
2) Searching the internet was tried before coming here and gave a few hits
that will be attempted. One site gave a way to use command prompt to
establish access hours for particular users, which may be tried. However, my
reason for coming here was not to be re-directed elsewhere, but because my
experience on these forums is that they afford me input from individuals who
have personal expertise and know-how on whatever given Microsoft subject.

Conclusion:
Please only respond if you personally have the know-how on restricting
log-in hours **for particular users or user groups** within the operating
system. Alternatively, if you know of no way, but have a program to offer,
that could work too.

Thanks,
Zakhary

"Zakhary" wrote:

> I'm not sure where to post this, so am posting it in "general"
>
> As a parent, I would like my children to not be able to use the computers
> during certain hours of the night. There are two computers: one operates on
> XP; the other on Vista
>
> I was looking through the User Account and Computer Management console to
> see if there was a way to establish user or group policies that restricted
> particular users or groups from having the ability to log on during certain
> hours of the day. However, I had no success finding anything. Is there any
> way to do this that I was not able to find? Or, would I need a separate
> program to be able to make these restrictions happen?
>
> Thanks,
> Zakhary

Zakhary

RE: Restricting User Access Hours
I forgot to mention...
I am seeking someone with this know-how because I know there will be
follow-up questions that will transpire and I hope to have an easy source to
ask them and get an answer. Those other sites do not answer some questions
that I already think may come about (I'll wait to "test" it out, though).

-Zakhary

"Zakhary" wrote:

> So far, all replies have referred either to internet-specific hour
> restrictions via making changes on the router or links and suggestions on
> searching through a search engine or forum.
>
> 1) I am interested in restricting full computer access on a per user or per
> group basis; not just internet and not on a per computer or house-wide basis.
> 2) Searching the internet was tried before coming here and gave a few hits
> that will be attempted. One site gave a way to use command prompt to
> establish access hours for particular users, which may be tried. However, my
> reason for coming here was not to be re-directed elsewhere, but because my
> experience on these forums is that they afford me input from individuals who
> have personal expertise and know-how on whatever given Microsoft subject.
>
> Conclusion:
> Please only respond if you personally have the know-how on restricting
> log-in hours **for particular users or user groups** within the operating
> system. Alternatively, if you know of no way, but have a program to offer,
> that could work too.
>
> Thanks,
> Zakhary
>
> "Zakhary" wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure where to post this, so am posting it in "general"
> >
> > As a parent, I would like my children to not be able to use the computers
> > during certain hours of the night. There are two computers: one operates on
> > XP; the other on Vista
> >
> > I was looking through the User Account and Computer Management console to
> > see if there was a way to establish user or group policies that restricted
> > particular users or groups from having the ability to log on during certain
> > hours of the day. However, I had no success finding anything. Is there any
> > way to do this that I was not able to find? Or, would I need a separate
> > program to be able to make these restrictions happen?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Zakhary

Jim

Re: Restricting User Access Hours

Turn off at the mains .

#On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 02:06:01 -0800, Zakhary
<Zakhary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>So far, all replies have referred either to internet-specific hour
>restrictions via making changes on the router or links and suggestions on
>searching through a search engine or forum.
>
>1) I am interested in restricting full computer access on a per user or per
>group basis; not just internet and not on a per computer or house-wide basis.
>2) Searching the internet was tried before coming here and gave a few hits
>that will be attempted. One site gave a way to use command prompt to
>establish access hours for particular users, which may be tried. However, my
>reason for coming here was not to be re-directed elsewhere, but because my
>experience on these forums is that they afford me input from individuals who
>have personal expertise and know-how on whatever given Microsoft subject.
>
>Conclusion:
>Please only respond if you personally have the know-how on restricting
>log-in hours **for particular users or user groups** within the operating
>system. Alternatively, if you know of no way, but have a program to offer,
>that could work too.
>
>Thanks,
>Zakhary
>
>"Zakhary" wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure where to post this, so am posting it in "general"
>>
>> As a parent, I would like my children to not be able to use the computers
>> during certain hours of the night. There are two computers: one operates on
>> XP; the other on Vista
>>
>> I was looking through the User Account and Computer Management console to
>> see if there was a way to establish user or group policies that restricted
>> particular users or groups from having the ability to log on during certain
>> hours of the day. However, I had no success finding anything. Is there any
>> way to do this that I was not able to find? Or, would I need a separate
>> program to be able to make these restrictions happen?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Zakhary

Shenan Stanley

Re: Restricting User Access Hours
<snipped>
<You also changed it to cross-posted this time, I see>

Zakhary wrote:
> So far, all replies have referred either to internet-specific hour
> restrictions via making changes on the router or links and suggestions on
> searching through a search engine or forum.
>
> 1) I am interested in restricting full computer access on a per user or
> per
> group basis; not just internet and not on a per computer or house-wide
> basis.
> 2) Searching the internet was tried before coming here and gave a few
> hits
> that will be attempted. One site gave a way to use command prompt to
> establish access hours for particular users, which may be tried. However,
> my
> reason for coming here was not to be re-directed elsewhere, but because my
> experience on these forums is that they afford me input from individuals
> who
> have personal expertise and know-how on whatever given Microsoft subject.
>
> Conclusion:
> Please only respond if you personally have the know-how on restricting
> log-in hours **for particular users or user groups** within the operating
> system. Alternatively, if you know of no way, but have a program to
> offer,
> that could work too.

Actually - I gave you direct links to direct answers and suggested you
Google based off those. Some of the links I gave you were even VIDEOS of
people restricting the logon times.

No one knows what you have/have not tried unless you tell them and if you
have these 'tough questions' - ask them.. Don't bother 'warning' about them.

In the end - technology will not substitute for social interaction (in this
case, parenting.) Whatever you do - if they have unrestricted physical
access for some period of time - they can undo.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP