How to declare a program as "trusted"

=?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZXJtY3dlcm5lcg==?=

How to declare a program as "trusted"
How can I declare a program I know as "trusted" so that UAC does not always
ask me for authorization to run it?
Thanks for suggestions
=?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZXJtY3dlcm5lcg==?=

Re: How to declare a program as "trusted"
A damn nuisance. The alternative of turning off UAC completely is not a good
one either but I may be forced to do so because it is too disturbing and time
consuming to continuously give authorizations.

>What would stop programs from
> changing this setting them self?

For instance by asking for my password. Can't UAC distinguish between my
input as user and what the program tries to do?

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> You can't. It would defeat the purpose of uac. What would stop programs from
> changing this setting them self?
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2
>

> "petermcwerner" <petermcwerner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How can I declare a program I know as "trusted" so that UAC does not
> > always
> > ask me for authorization to run it?
> > Thanks for suggestions

=?Utf-8?B?d29sZjQyMQ==?=

Re: How to declare a program as "trusted"
I'm in the same boat here. I mark a program as trusted and was getting
pop-ups everytime I used it (inclueding I.E. 7) I got so tired of it that I
just shut down the uac and have been pop-up free ever since...
BTW: I'm running vista rc1(bummer) missed the boat on rc2......And stuck
waiting for vista to hit the stores...
--
Just when you thought you had the top of the line system...You find out that
you have to upgrade yet again. The pain gasp!!

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Are you using one of the Beta builds or RTM?
> UAC has steadily gotten better.
> I rarely see it in RTM and have left it enabled.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "petermcwerner" <petermcwerner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How can I declare a program I know as "trusted" so that UAC does not
> > always
> > ask me for authorization to run it?
> > Thanks for suggestions

=?Utf-8?B?d29zdWxseQ==?=

RE: How to declare a program as "trusted"
You can create a manifest for the program. So, for example, the file,
sample.exe, can have an embedded manifest, or you can create on in the same
directory with the name sample.exe.manifest. You can use a program called XN
resource editor to look at the manifest for executable files, but if you
modify some of these manifests, you may also change the hash on the
executable. This isn't a big deal if it is a program like an inhouse app,
but may cause issues with digitally signed applications.

I am just getting into the meat of this, but these is a way.
--
MCSE: Security, CCNA, A+, Network +, Security+

"petermcwerner" wrote:

> How can I declare a program I know as "trusted" so that UAC does not always
> ask me for authorization to run it?
> Thanks for suggestions

=?Utf-8?B?d29zdWxseQ==?=

Re: How to declare a program as "trusted"
Thanks for the explanation: this is much deeper with regard to security than
previous versions, and I agree with you: I woud love for this to make a
significant difference and maybe I wouldn't get so many people asking me to
help them with their personal machines and spyware. ;-)
--

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> The integrity level of an object controls what applications can modify that
> object. Changing the integrity level of an .exe would control what
> applications can modify the actual .exe file, not what integrity level the
> application runs at.
>
> Of course, if you are a programmer and researched it enough you could
> probably make a program that implements some sort of "trust always"
> functionality, but this functionality is not built in to windows and I
> believe it would be doing a great disservice to users to make such a program.
>
> --
>
> - JB

=?Utf-8?B?U3VwZXJQbGF5?=

Re: How to declare a program as "trusted"
I have disabled UAC as I am fed up with not being able to add applicaions
which I trust :-(

Jimmy Brush

Re: How to declare a program as "trusted"
Hello,

What applications do you run all the time that requires administrator
privileges? I would guess that either they really should not need admin
privileges, or they could be redesigned to reduce or eliminate prompts .

I think once the Vista-compatible applications are released, this will be
much less of a problem.

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

=?Utf-8?B?TWUgSmFyaGVhZA==?=

Re: How to declare a program as "trusted"
I've got the same issue, and I'm willing to take the risk and allow SOME
programs to auto run with full privilages.

The one program I use that wants confermation EVERY time. Microsft Visual
Basic Express 2005