Setting normal user to rootadmin in Vista Ultimate

Bram Naus

Setting normal user to rootadmin in Vista Ultimate
Hi,

Anyone knows how to change a normal user to a rootadmin in Vista Ultimate?

Thx,

Bram
Mike Brannigan

Re: Setting normal user to rootadmin in Vista Ultimate
"Bram Naus" <info@eduprax.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Anyone knows how to change a normal user to a rootadmin in Vista Ultimate?
>
> Thx,
>
> Bram

There is no such thing as rootadmin (this is not Unix or Linux)
Open the Help and Support and type in Administrator
The answer you seek is there (on my PC it is item 10 Change a user's account
type)

The Help and Support is there to be used as your first source of answers to
your questions.

--

Mike Brannigan

Angry_American

"Mike Brannigan" <Mike.Brannigan@localhost> wrote in message
> "Bram Naus" <info@eduprax.nl> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Anyone knows how to change a normal user to a rootadmin in Vista
>> Ultimate?
>>
>> Thx,
>>
>> Bram

> There is no such thing as rootadmin (this is not Unix or Linux)
> Open the Help and Support and type in Administrator
> The answer you seek is there (on my PC it is item 10 Change a user's
> account
> type)

Actually there is and its a hidden account. To unhide do the following:

First, open an elevated command prompt by typing cmd into the Search box on
the Start menu, right-clicking the command prompt icon that appears at the
top of the Start menu, then selecting Run as administrator.

Then enter this command and press Enter:

Net user administrator /active:yes

To undo or hide the account:

Net user administrator /active:no

The major caveat is this is a Super Admin account, and should be used only
for admin duties, it should never be used for day to day usage.

Dan

"Angry_American" <Angry_American@nospam.net> wrote in message
news9A70ECE-2634-4DA1-9455-37C5146A5F7F@microsoft.com...

> "Mike Brannigan" <Mike.Brannigan@localhost> wrote in message
>> "Bram Naus" <info@eduprax.nl> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Anyone knows how to change a normal user to a rootadmin in Vista
>>> Ultimate?
>>>
>>> Thx,
>>>
>>> Bram

>> There is no such thing as rootadmin (this is not Unix or Linux)
>> Open the Help and Support and type in Administrator
>> The answer you seek is there (on my PC it is item 10 Change a user's
>> account
>> type)
>>

> Actually there is and its a hidden account. To unhide do the following:
>
> First, open an elevated command prompt by typing cmd into the Search box
> on the Start menu, right-clicking the command prompt icon that appears at
> the top of the Start menu, then selecting Run as administrator.
>
> Then enter this command and press Enter:
>
> Net user administrator /active:yes
>
> To undo or hide the account:
>
> Net user administrator /active:no
>
> The major caveat is this is a Super Admin account, and should be used only
> for admin duties, it should never be used for day to day usage.
>
> Dan

No Dan that is the Administrator account and not rootadmin (but that is not
the issue with your answer).
We are all (hopefully) aware of the default Administrator account and the
fact that it is disabled by default.
However the original posters question however badly phrased with their
obvious Unix background was about how to make another users account an
administrative level account, which has little to do with enabling the

> "Angry_American" <Angry_American@nospam.net> wrote in message
> news9A70ECE-2634-4DA1-9455-37C5146A5F7F@microsoft.com...
>>
>> "Mike Brannigan" <Mike.Brannigan@localhost> wrote in message
>>> "Bram Naus" <info@eduprax.nl> wrote in message

>>> There is no such thing as rootadmin (this is not Unix or Linux)
>>> Open the Help and Support and type in Administrator
>>> The answer you seek is there (on my PC it is item 10 Change a user's
>>> account
>>> type)
>>>

>> Actually there is and its a hidden account. To unhide do the following:
>>
>> First, open an elevated command prompt by typing cmd into the Search box
>> on the Start menu, right-clicking the command prompt icon that appears at
>> the top of the Start menu, then selecting Run as administrator.
>>
>> Then enter this command and press Enter:
>>
>> Net user administrator /active:yes
>>
>> To undo or hide the account:
>>
>> Net user administrator /active:no
>>
>> The major caveat is this is a Super Admin account, and should be used
>> only for admin duties, it should never be used for day to day usage.
>>
>> Dan

> No Dan that is the Administrator account and not rootadmin (but that is
> not the issue with your answer).
> We are all (hopefully) aware of the default Administrator account and the
> fact that it is disabled by default.
> However the original posters question however badly phrased with their
> obvious Unix background was about how to make another users account an
> administrative level account, which has little to do with enabling the
> default Administrator account.
> " ... Anyone knows how to change a normal user to a rootadmin in Vista
> Ultimate? ..."
>
> --
>
> Mike Brannigan

This is the windows equivalent of a root account in the nix environment.
Full control of all files, folders, and processes without permission
prompts.

> "Mike Brannigan" <Mike.Brannigan@localhost> wrote in message
>> "Angry_American" <Angry_American@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> news9A70ECE-2634-4DA1-9455-37C5146A5F7F@microsoft.com...
>>>
>>> "Mike Brannigan" <Mike.Brannigan@localhost> wrote in message

>>> Actually there is and its a hidden account. To unhide do the following:
>>>
>>> First, open an elevated command prompt by typing cmd into the Search box
>>> on the Start menu, right-clicking the command prompt icon that appears
>>> at the top of the Start menu, then selecting Run as administrator.
>>>
>>> Then enter this command and press Enter:
>>>
>>> Net user administrator /active:yes
>>>
>>> To undo or hide the account:
>>>
>>> Net user administrator /active:no
>>>
>>> The major caveat is this is a Super Admin account, and should be used
>>> only for admin duties, it should never be used for day to day usage.
>>>
>>> Dan

>> No Dan that is the Administrator account and not rootadmin (but that is
>> not the issue with your answer).
>> We are all (hopefully) aware of the default Administrator account and the
>> fact that it is disabled by default.
>> However the original posters question however badly phrased with their
>> obvious Unix background was about how to make another users account an
>> administrative level account, which has little to do with enabling the
>> default Administrator account.
>> " ... Anyone knows how to change a normal user to a rootadmin in Vista
>> Ultimate? ..."
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Brannigan

> This is the windows equivalent of a root account in the nix environment.
> Full control of all files, folders, and processes without permission
> prompts.
>
> Dan

Indeed, but that is not what the original poster asked.

--

Mike Brannigan