Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Getting access to system areas.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2009
Steve
 

Posts: n/a
Getting access to system areas.
After re-installing Vista Home Premium, I cannot get access to parts of the
disk I need to get to, even though my account type is Administrator. For
example, Windows Explorer gives an error message when try to get to
C:\Documents and Settings. "Location not available. Access is Denied" .
Same for C:\Users\Steve\Application Data but there is a file there I *need*
to delete. Please help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2009
Michael Walraven
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Getting access to system areas.
In general
take ownership
set access permissions
delete/modify system files
get system restore disks and reformat/reload system

If you are really careful and know what you are doing the last step may be
unnecessary

Michael


"Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6D3FE66F-A06C-442A-9A92-10826C280120@microsoft.com...
> After re-installing Vista Home Premium, I cannot get access to parts of
> the
> disk I need to get to, even though my account type is Administrator. For
> example, Windows Explorer gives an error message when try to get to
> C:\Documents and Settings. "Location not available. Access is Denied" .
> Same for C:\Users\Steve\Application Data but there is a file there I
> *need*
> to delete. Please help. Thanks.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2009
Steve
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Getting access to system areas.
I need a bit more help than this. I've tried all I know (right click,
properties, security, add myself) and that just gives the same error message
- access is denied.

Somehow I MUST be be able to get control of my own machine.

I am hoping I can get step-by-step instructions that work. Thankyou.

Steve.

"Michael Walraven" wrote:

> In general
> take ownership
> set access permissions
> delete/modify system files
> get system restore disks and reformat/reload system
>
> If you are really careful and know what you are doing the last step may be
> unnecessary
>
> Michael
>
>
> "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:6D3FE66F-A06C-442A-9A92-10826C280120@microsoft.com...
> > After re-installing Vista Home Premium, I cannot get access to parts of
> > the
> > disk I need to get to, even though my account type is Administrator. For
> > example, Windows Explorer gives an error message when try to get to
> > C:\Documents and Settings. "Location not available. Access is Denied" .
> > Same for C:\Users\Steve\Application Data but there is a file there I
> > *need*
> > to delete. Please help. Thanks.

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2009
Michael Walraven
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Getting access to system areas.
Steve
I created an administrator account 'Steve' on my machine for testing.

For the specific c:\users\steve\Application Data - inability to list/
browse.

The locking is done with a 'deny' access permission for 'everyone'.

If you check the permissions list you will find that at the top of the list
is deny for everyone to list folder/read data
as you are a member of 'everyone' this will apply to you.

You can chance that permission temporarily to 'allow' but I STRONGLY
recommend that you put it back when you are finished.
(make sure you APPLY the change, I forgot that step twice :{ ).

Michael


"Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:557C9410-A31B-41B7-A0E4-EA5E4E9ACBBE@microsoft.com...
> I need a bit more help than this. I've tried all I know (right click,
> properties, security, add myself) and that just gives the same error
> message
> - access is denied.
>
> Somehow I MUST be be able to get control of my own machine.
>
> I am hoping I can get step-by-step instructions that work. Thankyou.
>
> Steve.
>
> "Michael Walraven" wrote:
>
>> In general
>> take ownership
>> set access permissions
>> delete/modify system files
>> get system restore disks and reformat/reload system
>>
>> If you are really careful and know what you are doing the last step may
>> be
>> unnecessary
>>
>> Michael
>>
>>
>> "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:6D3FE66F-A06C-442A-9A92-10826C280120@microsoft.com...
>> > After re-installing Vista Home Premium, I cannot get access to parts of
>> > the
>> > disk I need to get to, even though my account type is Administrator.
>> > For
>> > example, Windows Explorer gives an error message when try to get to
>> > C:\Documents and Settings. "Location not available. Access is Denied"
>> > .
>> > Same for C:\Users\Steve\Application Data but there is a file there I
>> > *need*
>> > to delete. Please help. Thanks.

>>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 IT security growth areas for 2010 Steve Security News 0 10-15-2009 15:00
IE8 beats Firefox and Chrome in 7 out of 10 areas WinVistaClub WinVistaClub Blog 0 06-19-2009 03:50
Four areas you can improve IT spending efficiency Steve Security News 0 02-11-2009 16:10
Search nag in Win Explorer w/ non-indexed areas Joel A microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 2 02-15-2008 01:52
Technology Innovation Areas For 2025 Steve General Technology News 0 11-21-2007 11:30




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:55.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120