Re: You have been denied permission to access...

=?Utf-8?B?RmF5Y2Fs?=

Re: You have been denied permission to access...
hi
sorry to come back with this permissions things but i have a problem and
maybe someone can help
so i've done a clean installation of vista, everythings works fine and can
access my files saved under Xp. But i wanted to restrict acces for some
others users and hereS' where my problems started, somehow i denied acces to
all the usergroups include my account (set as administrator) even under XP
the folders and files are now unaccessible.
I tried to undo it on the parent directory but the change won' apply to
subfolders.
I can still undo it but i have to do it for every single files and that'S
too long.
So is there an option to do it for multiples files?
thank for yours answers and sorry my english isn't so good

Faycal

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The solution is NOT to change ownership; rather, you need to add a
> permission in Vista via the security tab to the folder where these files
> resides that gives your username read/write access. The permission applied
> to the folder will automatically apply to all the files that you created
> inside of that folder.
>

> --
> - JB
>
> Windows Vista Support Faq
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Jimmy Brush

Re: You have been denied permission to access...
Hello,

When I was first introduced to Windows NT many moons ago I did the same
thing myself ... except I ended up locking everyone (including SYSTEM) out
of my entire disk drive, even after multiple warnings from Windows about how
that wasn't such a good idea. lol. Needless to say, the system wouldn't boot
and I ended up reformatting.

Anyway, based on what you've said, it sounds like you added a DENY
permission. Deny permissions override any other ALLOW permissions on the
file.

Example: allowing the Administrators group access to a file and then DENYing
the users group access to that file.

This would seem to block normal users but allow administrators access, but
that's not what happens. Since deny permissions take precedence, both
administrators and users are denied access, since all administrators are
users and users are denied.

Most of the time you should never need to set a deny permission. If you do,
DON'T deny access to a file to a well-known group (such as users or
administrators) - set deny permissions on a single user account or create a
new group (such as "blocked users") and put that group in the deny
permissions.

In this case, you will need to take ownership of the files in order to be
able to change their permissions.

Following these steps should allow you to change the permissions on the
files:

1) open admin command prompt

- Click start
- Type: cmd
- right-click it under programs
- click Run As Administrator

2) take ownership of everything

- browse to the folder that you need access to
(for example, "cd c:\users\jimmy\documents\folder")

In the command prompt, type:
takeown /F . /A /R /D Y

and press enter.

3) change permissions

You should now be able to remove the deny permissions and make any other
changes, and then have those changes propogated down the folder heirarchy.

--
- JB

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

=?Utf-8?B?RmF5Y2Fs?=

Re: You have been denied permission to access...
thx man very helpful