denied permission

jasmineleanne06

denied permission
ever since i upgraded to vista i have been getting a "you do not have
permission to access this folder."

i have turned on every permission i can find. is there something else i need
to do?

can someone tell me how i can get the admin account enabled and then create
a standard account for all the time use
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: denied permission
Which folders are you seeing this behavior?

The first account you create after installing vista should be an
administrator account. Open Control Panel/User Accounts and see if the
account you are logged on with has administrator privileges.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"jasmineleanne06" <jasmineleanne06@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:C2218BD3-66E4-4361-A266-E79EEAD0B9B4@microsoft.com...
> ever since i upgraded to vista i have been getting a "you do not have
> permission to access this folder."
>
> i have turned on every permission i can find. is there something else i
> need
> to do?
>
> can someone tell me how i can get the admin account enabled and then
> create
> a standard account for all the time use

Myk

Re: denied permission

I'm using Win Vista Home Premium 32bit at work. There are two accounts
both are administrator accounts. No standard user account even exists.

Routinely when I create a new folder and name it, I am denied
permission to rename said folder. Sometimes I am denied permission to
add content to a folder I've created earlier.

I wouldn't mind if I was given a prompt to confirm the password, but no
such prompt exists, I'm just told I don't have permission.

A check of the folder permissions suggests my account has full
permission. The online help suggests I have full permission. Everything,
even here it's presumed the admin account does have all the permission
it needs.

To say I'm not happy with this situation would be an understatement.
I'm foaming at the mouth, this is intolerable. How do they suggest I use
a standard account when the administrator account is itself apparently
gimped?

--
Myk
Myk

Re: denied permission

I figured something out, if I restart then I have permission again. I
just have to restart the computer 5-6 times every workday it seems -
that's how often this 'feature' makes itself known.

Reminds me of the good old days of having to restart Windows95 many
times a day 'cause of it's memory management issues. The more things
change, the more they stay the same.

--
Myk
Myk

Re: denied permission

Myk;574746 Wrote:
> I figured something out, if I restart then I have permission again. I
> just have to restart the computer 5-6 times every workday it seems -
> that's how often this 'feature' makes itself known.
>
> Reminds me of the good old days of having to restart Windows95 many
> times a day 'cause of it's memory management issues. The more things
> change, the more they stay the same.

This is not the answer. Windows Vista is the best operating system in
the world, lots of very very smart people have explained how it is so
superior to any flavor of Linux, any flavor of OSX. Linux and OSX don't
require multiple restarts to maintain existing permissions, Windows
Vista shouldn't either. This is MY fault, it's gotta be something so
simple and basic I'm an idiot for missing it.

I'm using a very new Hewlett Packard computer, came with Vista
installed and meets Vists'a requirements - with a 2gigahertz intel
processor and 2 gigs of Ram.

I admit it, I'm dumb as a post - now tell me why. Be rude. I just want
an answer.

--
Myk
Elif

Re: denied permission

"Myk" wrote:

> Myk;574746 Wrote:
> > I figured something out, if I restart then I have permission again. I
> > just have to restart the computer 5-6 times every workday it seems -
> > that's how often this 'feature' makes itself known.
> >
> > Reminds me of the good old days of having to restart Windows95 many
> > times a day 'cause of it's memory management issues. The more things
> > change, the more they stay the same.

> This is not the answer. Windows Vista is the best operating system in
> the world, lots of very very smart people have explained how it is so
> superior to any flavor of Linux, any flavor of OSX. Linux and OSX don't
> require multiple restarts to maintain existing permissions, Windows
> Vista shouldn't either. This is MY fault, it's gotta be something so
> simple and basic I'm an idiot for missing it.
>
> I'm using a very new Hewlett Packard computer, came with Vista
> installed and meets Vists'a requirements - with a 2gigahertz intel
> processor and 2 gigs of Ram.
>
> I admit it, I'm dumb as a post - now tell me why. Be rude. I just want
> an answer.
>

> --
> Myk

Elif

Re: denied permission
Hi,

My problem was not exactly like yours, but I was asked to log in as
administrator to activate a key. I checked all the rights of the user
(myself) (had the administrator rights like yours). There should not be any
other administrator, I am the only user. Then I checked the Administrator
Tools under Control Panel. Computer Management=>User Groups. There I saw
"Administrator" a disabled account. I enabled it and I could log on and did
whatever I needed to under that account. If that helps, just use only
"Administrator" account. I have not tried, but maybe you can change its name
to whatever you wish. BTW, I do not think Vista authors are so smart. Why did
they disable this account? To make us proud, when we solved the puzzle?

"Myk" wrote:

> Myk;574746 Wrote:
> > I figured something out, if I restart then I have permission again. I
> > just have to restart the computer 5-6 times every workday it seems -
> > that's how often this 'feature' makes itself known.
> >
> > Reminds me of the good old days of having to restart Windows95 many
> > times a day 'cause of it's memory management issues. The more things
> > change, the more they stay the same.

> This is not the answer. Windows Vista is the best operating system in
> the world, lots of very very smart people have explained how it is so
> superior to any flavor of Linux, any flavor of OSX. Linux and OSX don't
> require multiple restarts to maintain existing permissions, Windows
> Vista shouldn't either. This is MY fault, it's gotta be something so
> simple and basic I'm an idiot for missing it.
>
> I'm using a very new Hewlett Packard computer, came with Vista
> installed and meets Vists'a requirements - with a 2gigahertz intel
> processor and 2 gigs of Ram.
>
> I admit it, I'm dumb as a post - now tell me why. Be rude. I just want
> an answer.
>

> --
> Myk

Myk

Re: denied permission

Thanks for the tip, it sounds like a distinct issue though.

I use OSX at home and love it, it works and does everything it is
supposed to. I'm spoiled. At work I've developed a reputation as a
biased Microsoft basher, my employers are sold on Vista being the best,
on Windows being the best possible OS for business. The belief is that
my issues must relate to not knowing the Vista OS well enough.

The truth is that the people that work at Microsoft aren't smart, they
are too smart for that - many of them likely qualify as 'genius' on the
basis of IQ alone. Which suggests nothing that Vista does is an accident
- it is intentional. Vista has far more money, time and intelligence
poured into it than any other operating system in the world.

Lord knows that I have repeatedly been told how awful OSX is compared
to Windows by loyal Windows users - for years. And they know they are
right. They would tell me I'm stupid, it's me, not the operating system.

Is no one here going to make them right?

--
Myk
Sam

Re: denied permission
Why is it that when I look at the original post ( a few others are like this
also), it is totally blank.

"Myk" wrote:

> Thanks for the tip, it sounds like a distinct issue though.
>
> I use OSX at home and love it, it works and does everything it is
> supposed to. I'm spoiled. At work I've developed a reputation as a
> biased Microsoft basher, my employers are sold on Vista being the best,
> on Windows being the best possible OS for business. The belief is that
> my issues must relate to not knowing the Vista OS well enough.
>
> The truth is that the people that work at Microsoft aren't smart, they
> are too smart for that - many of them likely qualify as 'genius' on the
> basis of IQ alone. Which suggests nothing that Vista does is an accident
> - it is intentional. Vista has far more money, time and intelligence
> poured into it than any other operating system in the world.
>
> Lord knows that I have repeatedly been told how awful OSX is compared
> to Windows by loyal Windows users - for years. And they know they are
> right. They would tell me I'm stupid, it's me, not the operating system.
>

> Is no one here going to make them right?
>

> --
> Myk

Myk

Re: denied permission

Elif;576359 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My problem was not exactly like yours, but I was asked to log in as
> administrator to activate a key. I checked all the rights of the user
> (myself) (had the administrator rights like yours). There should not be
> any
> other administrator, I am the only user. Then I checked the
> Administrator
> Tools under Control Panel. Computer Management=>User Groups. There I
> saw
> "Administrator" a disabled account. I enabled it and I could log on and
> did
> whatever I needed to under that account. If that helps, just use only
> "Administrator" account. I have not tried, but maybe you can change its
> name
> to whatever you wish. BTW, I do not think Vista authors are so smart.
> Why did
> they disable this account? To make us proud, when we solved the puzzle?

In the Computer management control panel of the vista I'm using there
are but three main folders, 'System tools', 'Storage' and 'Services and
Applications' - inside said folders there is nothing pertaining to 'user
groups'. This may be a 'home' vs 'deluxe' flavors of Vista thing.

A serious response: I would conjecture it's likely that Vista is the
result of many different teams, none of which communicate with each
other yielding a whole that is lesser than the sum of its parts.

--
Myk