Messed up C: disk administrations, help!

Seuthrian

Messed up C: disk administrations, help!

In desperate need of help!

I was trying to install something on my computer, and it kept telling
me I didn't have administrative rights to do so. So I browsed through
some older posts in this forum and set out to fix things on my own: big
mistake. I right clicked on the C drive and went to Properties. I
clicked the Security tab and then proceeded to go to both Authen. User
and Users, editing them both and giving them both full control. Anyways,
I got paranoid about this (plus it didn't help me in the download
process of what I needed at all), and I went under Authen. User first,
and clicked "deny" under full control. And now? It's gone, the whole
user group is gone!

So I really need help with two things. How do I get that group back?

And what "rights" should be allowed under both Au. User and Users? I
really want to just set things back in order. Please help!

--
Seuthrian
Seuthrian's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/152702.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Bruce Chambers

Re: Messed up C: disk administrations, help!
Seuthrian wrote:
> In desperate need of help!
>
> I was trying to install something on my computer, and it kept telling
> me I didn't have administrative rights to do so. So I browsed through
> some older posts in this forum and set out to fix things on my own: big
> mistake. I right clicked on the C drive and went to Properties. I
> clicked the Security tab and then proceeded to go to both Authen. User
> and Users, editing them both and giving them both full control. Anyways,
> I got paranoid about this (plus it didn't help me in the download
> process of what I needed at all), and I went under Authen. User first,
> and clicked "deny" under full control. And now? It's gone, the whole
> user group is gone!
>
> So I really need help with two things. How do I get that group back?

By selecting "Deny" for all users who log into the computer, you've
effectively locked out *everyone*, as even the local Administrator is a
member of those groups. You only recourse now is to format the hard
drive and reinstall the OS. You'll need to use something like a Linux
Live CD, which operates "outside" the NTFS file permissions, to access
and recover any important data before doing so. A very useful one can be
found here: http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm

> And what "rights" should be allowed under both Au. User and Users? I
> really want to just set things back in order. Please help!

Those groups would normally never have permissions higher then "Modify"
on any files/folders, assuming that you're using only applications
properly designed to run under Vista's security paradigm.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.