Joining a NT Domain

bnmohan via WindowsKB.com

Joining a NT Domain
Hi! 3 Nov

I have a Vista Business laptop that has been running in a workgroup.
I want to add it to the ofice NT4 domain.

I have found a lot of instructions on how to do so: so maybe I will succeed.
When I join the domain, and log in to it, will a new user profile be created?
Will I have to trnanfer the original user data (mail etc) to this profile?

Thanks

Mohan

bnmohan via WindowsKB.com

Re: Joining a NT Domain
Oh : I had some fun. I did manage to join the domain, but I cannot see it
from the local user account: I have to log on to the domain; when I cannot
see the local user data. Sad

Maybe I have to delete the local user account and copy the saved data to the
domain user account.

The reason I started all this: Can Network Discovery be kept default on?
Systems that need to access this machine in the office fail, till it is
turned on.

Now: how to go bald in one hour:

I had created one account "admin" as administrator; as an emergency login;
and created the actual user also

Now I created the domain user , and logged on to the domain. Since the user
data was not visible: I started going back to the local user. NO GO. Unknown
user or invalid pw. How to log in to a new domain knowledge was imbibed. No
go. Started getting worried: being responsible for someone else's data and
losing it is a nightmare. Now the administrator account does not log on!!!
Half an hour of frantic loggoning , and a violent reaction from Vista that my
account was disabled, and I could go.

Stood up, and sat down, and realised the administrator account I had created
was ADMIN and not ADMINISTRATOR. I know it is obvious.
Logged in as admin, and Heavens: could see the local machine. And some more
how not to: the bloody user account was spelt wrongly! Micheal instead of
Michael. And the account still does not logon. A slip of the mouse clicked on
the go button without entering the pw, and hey PRESTO. The user had a boot
pw, and no Windows pw!!! I had been plugging away the boot pw

When a system is being setup: the admin has to be in total charge, and not
leave it to geeky kids

Mohan

bnmohan wrote:
>Hi! 3 Nov
>
>I have a Vista Business laptop that has been running in a workgroup.
>I want to add it to the ofice NT4 domain.
>
>I have found a lot of instructions on how to do so: so maybe I will succeed.
>When I join the domain, and log in to it, will a new user profile be created?
>Will I have to trnanfer the original user data (mail etc) to this profile?
>
>Thanks
>
>Mohan

Bruce Chambers

Re: Joining a NT Domain
bnmohan via WindowsKB.com wrote:
> Oh : I had some fun. I did manage to join the domain, but I cannot see it
> from the local user account: I have to log on to the domain; when I cannot
> see the local user data. Sad

Not "sad." Perfectly normal behavior; it's working just as it should.
Domain and local accounts are supposed to be entirely separate things.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
bnmohan via WindowsKB.com

Re: Joining a NT Domain
Oh yes : that is what I know from XP days: but I was wondering about those
comments on "How to join a Vista Machine to a Domain". One only creates a
user on the local machine that can access the domain, as for XP

Now I may have to delete the local user account saving files and copy them to
the domain user.

Thanks