Weird access problem

Nancy T.

Weird access problem
I am in my user folder. I am the owner and administrator of this computer.
However, it won't let me access several of the folders in my user account.
Such as the Templates folder. When I click on it, it says:
"C:\Users\Nancy\Templates is not accessible. Access is denied." The icon on
the folder looks like a shortcut icon. It is the same folder as AppDate, but
with a little arrow pointing up and to the right down in the lower left
corner. If I right click on it and go to Properties, I am listed as the
owner. This is currently happening to the following folders: Application
Data, Cookies, Local Settings, NetHood, PrintHood, SendTo, Start Menu, and
Templates. I got the same message with my Music folder a few minutes ago. I
rebooted and now I can at least access that one. Any ideas?
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Weird access problem
Nancy

This is a common problem for users that are looking for the same folder
structure in Vista that was used in XP.

The folders you are looking at that appear to be shortcuts are called a
Junction or Symbolic Link. These folders are used for backward
compatibility, mostly for installation programs that are looking for an old
system folder location. They appear where a system folder location, that was
part of a previous version of Windows, has been changed in Vista. When an
older installation program is installed, these folders will redirect the
installation program to the proper folder in Vista. These folders contain no
user information.

You can use a command prompt to locate the new folder that the Junction
points to in Vista

Press WINKEY+R and type cmd and press OK.

The command window should open at the C:\Users\<username> folder.

Type: dir /ahL and press the ENTER key. (Note the space in the
command)

The result will be a list of folders on the C: drive, here is an example.

<date> <time> <JUNCTION> SendTo
[C:\Users\<username>AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windo ws\SendTo]

This shows the old name of the folder (SendTo) with the path to the new
location in brackets.

It would be a good idea to print this list for future reference.

For reference, Here is the list of Junctions for a standard, clean
installation of Vista Ultimate on the C: drive. Office 2007 is installed.
Your results may be different because of different software being installed.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]

C:\Users\username>dir /ahl

Directory of C:\Users\<username>

12/13/2006 03:15 PM <JUNCTION> Application Data
[C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming]

12/13/2006 03:15 PM <JUNCTION> Cookies
[C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Wind ows\Cookies]

12/13/2006 03:15 PM <JUNCTION> Local Settings
[C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local]

12/13/2006 03:15 PM <JUNCTION> My Documents [C:\Users\<username>\Documents]

12/13/2006 03:15 PM <JUNCTION> NetHood
[C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Wind ows\Network Shortcuts]

12/13/2006 03:15 PM <JUNCTION> PrintHood
[C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Wind ows\Printer Shortcuts]

12/13/2006 03:15 PM <JUNCTION> Recent
[C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Wind ows\Recent]

12/13/2006 03:15 PM <JUNCTION> SendTo
[C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Wind ows\SendTo]

12/13/2006 03:15 PM <JUNCTION> Start Menu
[C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Wind ows\Start Menu]

12/13/2006 03:15 PM <JUNCTION>
TEMPLATE[C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Wind ows\Templates

(Where "<username>" is the name of the account you are currently logged onto
the system with.)

The "My" designation for a user folder has been retired, so the old "My"
Documents, My Music, etc, is now called simply Documents and Music
respectively.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Nancy T." <NancyT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am in my user folder. I am the owner and administrator of this computer.
> However, it won't let me access several of the folders in my user account.
> Such as the Templates folder. When I click on it, it says:
> "C:\Users\Nancy\Templates is not accessible. Access is denied." The icon
> on
> the folder looks like a shortcut icon. It is the same folder as AppDate,
> but
> with a little arrow pointing up and to the right down in the lower left
> corner. If I right click on it and go to Properties, I am listed as the
> owner. This is currently happening to the following folders: Application
> Data, Cookies, Local Settings, NetHood, PrintHood, SendTo, Start Menu, and
> Templates. I got the same message with my Music folder a few minutes ago.
> rebooted and now I can at least access that one. Any ideas?

Nancy T.

Re: Weird access problem
Thank you. That was a very clear and concise response and it totally makes
sense. Now I am thinking that when I couldn't get in to my music folder, I
may have been clicking on My Music instead of Music. Thanks for taking the
time to answer. You were a great help!

Nancy
(I still HATE Vista and Office 2007!)

Your welcome, glad this helped.