User name not the same as logon name?

Eyeonb

User name not the same as logon name?

Hi everyone, I'm having some sharing issues, which I think could be
related to the below.

I logon to Vista ultimate x64 with the username: Charles it's also got
a password.

However, when I look under c:\users\ there is no Charles folder, but
rather all my documents etc etc are in c:\users\user\ ?!?

When I open the task manager and click on the last tab called users, it
shows "user" logged in, and not "charles".

Weird, thing is on the start menu up the top it has the correct name
"Charles". What's happening here? I've tried googling it, and not much
has come up. Is there a difference between profile name and login name?
IE I'm loggin in as Charles, but my profile name is "user"?

In the control panel, under "user accounts", there is only one user;
Charles, who is administrator and password protected. In that control
panel, if I click on advanced user profile properties, it shows the only
profile as COMPUTERNAME\User, and when I select it, the COPY TO...
button is greyed out.

ANYWAY, how can I rename my profile to say CHARLES instead of USER? As
I said above, the COPY TO... button is greyed out, so I can't even copy
it to a new profile?

Why is there this difference?!?!? Thanks in advance!

--
Eyeonb
Flavius

Re: User name not the same as logon name?

Eyeonb;1143523 Wrote:
> Hi everyone, I'm having some sharing issues, which I think could be
> related to the below.
>
> I logon to Vista ultimate x64 with the username: Charles it's also got
> a password.
>
> However, when I look under c:\users\ there is no Charles folder, but
> rather all my documents etc etc are in c:\users\user\ ?!?
>
> When I open the task manager and click on the last tab called users, it
> shows "user" logged in, and not "charles".
>
> Weird, thing is on the start menu up the top it has the correct name
> "Charles". What's happening here? I've tried googling it, and not much
> has come up. Is there a difference between profile name and login name?
> IE I'm loggin in as Charles, but my profile name is "user"?
>
> In the control panel, under "user accounts", there is only one user;
> Charles, who is administrator and password protected. In that control
> panel, if I click on advanced user profile properties, it shows the only
> profile as COMPUTERNAME\User, and when I select it, the COPY TO...
> button is greyed out.
>
> ANYWAY, how can I rename my profile to say CHARLES instead of USER? As
> I said above, the COPY TO... button is greyed out, so I can't even copy
> it to a new profile?
>
> Why is there this difference?!?!? Thanks in advance!

First look my attached image.
[image:
http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.p...=12537941 18]

There are "name" and "Full Name".The truly user name identified by
system is "name","Full Name" is without any meaning you can even don't
have "Full name",When you login to system if account have any "Full
name" it is displayed on logon screen instead your own name.The same is
with Control Panel >>User Accounts.In* lusrmgr.msc* or in *control*
*userpasswords2* you
can see both "Name" and "Full Name".Commands "net user" or "net
localgroup" only shows "name".

For you

your "Name" :User
your "Full Name" :Charles

|Filename: NickAccount.jpg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15928|

Flavius
Eyeonb

Re: User name not the same as logon name?

That makes sense now! So ... if using lusrmgr.msc, I right click the
username and select rename, and change "Name" from User to Charles, will
that automatically rename c:\users\user to c:\users\Charles, or is it
going to cause problems, and deletions of all my docs?

Any way of backing it up first before trying if we're unsure?

Eyeonb;1143545 Wrote:
> That makes sense now! So ... if using lusrmgr.msc, I right click the
> username and select rename, and change "Name" from User to Charles, will
> that automatically rename c:\users\user to c:\users\Charles, or is it
> going to cause problems, and deletions of all my docs?
>
> Any way of backing it up first before trying if we're unsure?

No.Still "User" account profile will be stored in C:\Users\User even if
the "Name" will be now "Charles".System allow this kind of things.Really
do you disturb it?I suggest leave it.Well there is ability to rename
user profile folder too...but is that really worth to do :shock:?
When you change account "Name"...
1.First you have to login into another admin account -if you don't
another admin account you have to create it before.
2.Find folder C:\Users\User and rename it to C:\Users\Charles
3.Open regedit find key *HKEY_LOCALE_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList* navigate to subkey which adressed to
"User" account and correct path to user profile folder.See image.
[image:
http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.p...=12537959 50]

As you can see you have to edit path in "ProfileImagePath"
After it you will have account name "Charles" with profile
C:\Users\Charles

|Filename: UIP.jpg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15931|

Flavius
Eyeonb

Flavius;1143566 Wrote:
> > Eyeonb;1143545 Wrote:
> > That makes sense now! So ... if using lusrmgr.msc, I right click the
> > username and select rename, and change "Name" from User to Charles, will
> > that automatically rename c:\users\user to c:\users\Charles, or is it
> > going to cause problems, and deletions of all my docs?
> >
> > Any way of backing it up first before trying if we're unsure?> >

> No.Still "User" account profile will be stored in C:\Users\User even
> if the "Name" will be now "Charles".System allow this kind of
> things.Really do you disturb it?I suggest leave it.Well there is
> ability to rename user profile folder too...but is that really worth
> to do :shock:?

Why do I want to do it? I need to change the name:User to show Charles,
because I'm having file sharing problems because the share doesn't have
access privelages for the user: "User" only for "charles", however I'm
worried that if I change the name from "user" to "charles" that I'll
lose all my settings, documents etc etc.

So if Vista is half smart, and after simply changing the name from
"user" to "charles" it continues along with no hiccups, no deletions, no
changes, then great, I'll do that. But I should probably have someway of
backing all of that up first :huh:

Eyeonb;1144287 Wrote:
> But I should probably have someway of backing all of that up first :huh:

Your private data won't be changed.Althogh it would be well to create
checkpoint in System Restore before this operation
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76...nt-create.html

--
Flavius