Administrator Problems

deltacomics

Administrator Problems
After upgrading to Windows Vista Ultimate I seemed to have lost administrator
priveliges. One feature of Dreamweaver is the ability to click on an image to
edit, using another program, and it says you must be administrator to preform
this function, and cancels request and won't open graphic program. When I
open Visual Studios, the opening says you need to be administrator to get all
the functions. Under Windows XP I was recognized as administrator of my
computer. Under user groups I put myself as member of administrators. I had
to create a new user, Administrator in order to do this, also to start IIS
7.0 and SQL Server. All my files are under HP_Administrator which has been
the Administrator for the computer in XP. I would like to delete the new user
and have my old user be recognized as administrator.
Dyawlak

Re: Administrator Problems
You need to set the properties of the program to run as admin - even tho you
are an admin the programs you run do run in admin mode unless told to.

"deltacomics" <deltacomics@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After upgrading to Windows Vista Ultimate I seemed to have lost
> administrator
> priveliges. One feature of Dreamweaver is the ability to click on an image
> edit, using another program, and it says you must be administrator to
> preform
> this function, and cancels request and won't open graphic program. When I
> open Visual Studios, the opening says you need to be administrator to get
> all
> the functions. Under Windows XP I was recognized as administrator of my
> computer. Under user groups I put myself as member of administrators. I
> had
> to create a new user, Administrator in order to do this, also to start IIS
> 7.0 and SQL Server. All my files are under HP_Administrator which has been
> the Administrator for the computer in XP. I would like to delete the new
> user
> and have my old user be recognized as administrator.

Kerry Brown

Re: Administrator Problems
Security is very different in Vista. Your original account is an
administrator if it is in the administrators group. In Vista when you logon
as an administrator you get two security tokens, a regular user and an
administrator. Normally the regular user token is used for security reasons.
If the program was written for Vista it can request that the administrator
token be used. If it wasn't written for Vista you can force it by using Run
as administrator. Here's a FAQ by MVP Jimmy Brush. Be sure to click through
and read the links in the FAQ.

http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Security/uac_programs.aspx

--
Kerry Brown