Standard account can not run exe's when "run as administrator" is selected

tankman1989

Standard account can not run exe's when "run as administrator" is selected

I am trying to start a new method of using my computer and am not going
to run my profile as an Admin account. I am used to Linux and having to
use SU or SUDO, so this should not be much different.

I am running into the same problem that pushed me away from this model
before. I did a fresh install of a laptop, ran all Vista Home Premium
updates, created a standard account, logged into the standard account,
selected an exe on my C:, right clicked and selected "Run as
Administrator" and I get this message *"Windows can not access the
specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate
permissions to access the item."*

This error seems familiar as I tried this before and had the same
problem. This pushed me into using an account that had elevated Admin
privileges all the time (bad idea for someone who uses the internet and
installs a lot of programs).

What is the deal and how can I fix it?

--
tankman1989
Flavius

Re: Standard account can not run exe's when "run as administrator" is selected

tankman1989;1129487 Wrote:
> I am trying to start a new method of using my computer and am not going
> to run my profile as an Admin account. I am used to Linux and having to
> use SU or SUDO, so this should not be much different.
>
> I am running into the same problem that pushed me away from this model
> before. I did a fresh install of a laptop, ran all Vista Home Premium
> updates, created a standard account, logged into the standard account,
> selected an exe on my C:, right clicked and selected "Run as
> Administrator" and I get this message *"Windows can not access the
> specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate
> permissions to access the item."*
>
> This error seems familiar as I tried this before and had the same
> problem. This pushed me into using an account that had elevated Admin
> privileges all the time (bad idea for someone who uses the internet and
> installs a lot of programs).
>
> What is the deal and how can I fix it?

You can safely use not-build-in admin account with UAC turned
on,because UAC pernamently seperate permissions as limited rights for
user and admin rights see also:'User Account Control Step-by-Step Guide'
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...%29.aspx).When
you working normally on your admin account your are counting as limited
user,if you want to do any which require admin rights you have to be
authenticated (through UAC),when you'll authenticate permission are
elevate for only required process not for all. This is difference
solutions than SUDO or even SU from Linux but I guarantee it is fully
safe also.Of course build-in admin account shouldn't be use in daily
work and normally should be disabled.Build-in admin account should be
used only in extremaly situations when normal not-build-in admins
accounts are corrupted and impossible in any way to fix problems.

Exactly relate to error message:

> I get this message *"Windows can not access the specified device, path,
> or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the
> item."
> *

Do you have the same error message on your (not-build -in) admin
account? -if yes I would suspect any protected software:uninstall
non-system firewall if you're using.If this is only on standard account
possible also wrong UAC settings for standard users,you have to check
UAC configuration:'How do I change the behavior of the User Account
Control message? - Windows Vista Help'
(http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...962c01033.mspx)
'2.2.11 User Account Control'
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ROT.10%29.aspx)