Admin rights and installing software.

Toshuser

Admin rights and installing software.

Hi , im glad to have found this forum as ive had a niggly wee problem
with Vista of late.I bought my computer about 10 months ago and it came
with Vista Home premium.Up to now i cant think of any software ive
installed other than Office.
That would have been on day one.
So fast forward to now and id like to install Pinnacle Studio 9 which
tells me i dont have admin rights and need to sign in as administrater.
Im the one and only user,the computer tells me clearly i am the
administrater which of course correct.
Any help is greatly appreciated as its got me stumped.I installed it on
a XP machine just to check,id like to have it on my laptop.

--
Toshuser
Flavius

Re: Admin rights and installing software.

And Do you have UAC turned on? -If not you have to turn on UAC
+restart.If UAC is already turned on and still you have this issue try
install this program in safe mode

--
Flavius
Toshuser

Re: Admin rights and installing software.

Ok , Flavius , ill find out what UAC is and check , ill give it a
try.Thank you.I will post results how i got on.

--
Toshuser
Flavius

Re: Admin rights and installing software.

Right click on the program >>Properties>>compatbility :check :Run this
program with compatbility mode>>choose Windows XP

--
Flavius
Toshuser

Re: Admin rights and installing software.

Wow..theres hope yet , thank you Flavius.Ill let you know how i get on.

When i right click the program icon on the D drive and go to properties
i get a box with 5 pages , General , Hardware , Sharing , Customise and
Recording.
Looking through them it doesnt give me an option to use a compatability
mode?

--
Toshuser
GTS

Re: Admin rights and installing software.
Try right clicking on the Pinnacle installer and select Run as
Administrator.

Here's and explanation of this issue.

BUT I AM THE !>BLEEPING*! ADMINISTRATOR!

New Vista users are often confused by the need to grant Administrator rights
to certain activities (when User Account Control is enabled) despite being
logged in to an Administrator account. This unnecessary confusion is the
result of a foolish design mistake by Microsoft, giving the same name to two
distinctly different kinds of accounts with two different privilege levels,
specifically calling them both simply "Administrator".

In Windows XP there are limited users and Administrative users. (For
purposes of this discussion I have disregarded other privilege levels which
might apply only in a domain.) An Administrative user has full rights to
the system in all respects. In Vista there are really 3 types of accounts
with different privileges - Limited user, Administrator-User (individual
user account), and Administrator-Superuser (the built-in administrator
account).

The Administrator-User account no longer has unlimited privileges. The
built-in Administrator account must approve certain actions. The purpose of
this is to limit potential damage by malicious software when running within
an Administrator account.

A great deal of confusion would have been avoided by sensibly naming the
accounts. For example, the built in Administrator account might have been
named Superuser or Root (borrowing from UNIX) or the Administrator-User
might have been named "Privileged-User."

You might find it helpful to think of your computers accounts along these
lines -Administrator-User and Administrator-Superuser.

Toshuser;1119394 Wrote:
> Wow..theres hope yet , thank you Flavius.Ill let you know how i get on.
>
> When i right click the program icon on the D drive and go to properties
> i get a box with 5 pages , General , Hardware , Sharing , Customise and
> Recording.
> Looking through them it doesnt give me an option to use a compatability
> mode?

Impossible! Surly you're clicking on any folder or drive not on program
icon!

|Filename: Compatbility.png |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15155|

Flavius
Toshuser

Re: Admin rights and installing software.

No , i can assure you when i right click the D drive showing the program
icon i got the box as described.However when i explored the cd and right
clicked the exe file i did get the compatable mode.
I tried XP , tried rebooting too , that didnt work.Same thing,it tells
me its blocked due to incompatablity ,check online for solution which
there isnt one apparantly.

So i tried using win 2000 mode , no joy there either.Whats odd is i
installed this program yesterday on an XP machine with no problems at
all.
Now using XP mode it says im not on.

--
Toshuser
Flavius

Re: Admin rights and installing software.

And another way:right click on this file as admin?

--
Flavius
Toshuser

Re: Admin rights and installing software.

I tried that Flavius , i think its got me beat.

--
Toshuser