Keeping users installed files on there account?

duff

Keeping users installed files on there account?
Okay, my mother, father, and i all have our own admin accounts on vista. Is
there a way to make so that when they install a program, it will stay on
there account and there account only? Like my father installed divx which i
dont mind cause i would use it too, however it put shortcuts on all of our
account desktops. When i went and deleted them on my desktop it deleted them
off all of our desktops. Is there a way to keep what i do on my account, stay
only on my account?

Thanks
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Keeping users installed files on there account?
Some programs will install for All Users, without asking if this is what you
want to do. When they do this, they place the shortcuts in the All Users
Start Menu which is located at:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

They also place the shortcuts on all users desktops. This is why when you
delete the shortcut for that program, the program is assuming you want it
removed from all accounts desktops, so it will disappear from all of the
accounts.

The location for each individual user to store their Start Menu shortcuts
is:

C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

The location for each users desktop is:

C:\Users\user name\Desktop

The only thing you can do to resolve this is to open Windows Explorer and
manually delete the shortcut from each individual accounts desktop, where
you do not want the shortcut. You will need to do the same for each users
Start Menu/All Programs.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"duff" <duff @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news0135D0A-44CE-48A7-85C1-4E9B950C8D07@microsoft.com...
> Okay, my mother, father, and i all have our own admin accounts on vista.
> Is
> there a way to make so that when they install a program, it will stay on
> there account and there account only? Like my father installed divx which
> dont mind cause i would use it too, however it put shortcuts on all of our
> account desktops. When i went and deleted them on my desktop it deleted
> them
> off all of our desktops. Is there a way to keep what i do on my account,
> stay
> only on my account?
>
> Thanks

duff

Re: Keeping users installed files on there account?
I was able to find the folder for the desktop and get the ones i didnt want
deleted, but for the life of my cant find the one for the start menu. I dont
even have an appdata folder under my user name folder.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Some programs will install for All Users, without asking if this is what you
> want to do. When they do this, they place the shortcuts in the All Users
> Start Menu which is located at:
>
> C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
>
> They also place the shortcuts on all users desktops. This is why when you
> delete the shortcut for that program, the program is assuming you want it
> removed from all accounts desktops, so it will disappear from all of the
> accounts.
>
> The location for each individual user to store their Start Menu shortcuts
> is:
>
> C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
>
> The location for each users desktop is:
>
> C:\Users\user name\Desktop
>
> The only thing you can do to resolve this is to open Windows Explorer and
> manually delete the shortcut from each individual accounts desktop, where
> you do not want the shortcut. You will need to do the same for each users
> Start Menu/All Programs.
>

> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "duff" <duff @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news0135D0A-44CE-48A7-85C1-4E9B950C8D07@microsoft.com...
> > Okay, my mother, father, and i all have our own admin accounts on vista.
> > Is
> > there a way to make so that when they install a program, it will stay on
> > there account and there account only? Like my father installed divx which
> > dont mind cause i would use it too, however it put shortcuts on all of our
> > account desktops. When i went and deleted them on my desktop it deleted
> > them
> > off all of our desktops. Is there a way to keep what i do on my account,
> > stay
> > only on my account?
> >
> > Thanks

Charlene Shepard [MSFT]

Re: Keeping users installed files on there account?
Hi Duff,

AppData is a hidden folder. You can turn on hidden folders by doing the
following:

1. Navigate to your user name folder.
2. Press Alt to display the folder menu.
3. Click Tools, and then click Folder Options.
4. Click the View tab, and then click Show hidden files and folders.

Charlene
--
Charlene Shepard
Windows User Assistance Team