get command line to open in specified directory

Mike Zielinski

get command line to open in specified directory
I have Vista Premium and I want to know if there is a way to make the command
line in a specified directory. I use it for only one directory and I always
want it to open in that directory. Is there a way to do this? And if so how?
Mike
Les

Re: get command line to open in specified directory
"Mike Zielinski" <Mike Zielinski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Premium and I want to know if there is a way to make the
>command
> line in a specified directory. I use it for only one directory and I
> always
> want it to open in that directory. Is there a way to do this? And if so
> how?
> Mike

Try this: shift right click on the folder you want to open a command window
on and the context menu has that option available.

--
regards,
Les Hay, Livingston, Scotland

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000736-1, 26/04/2007
Tested on: 26/04/2007 17:35:49

Jeff

Re: get command line to open in specified directory
Just make a shortcut for Command prompt. (CMD.EXE). Then right click on the
shortcut and go to properties, change the "start in" field to whatever
directory you want to open

"Mike Zielinski" <Mike Zielinski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Premium and I want to know if there is a way to make the
>command
> line in a specified directory. I use it for only one directory and I
> always
> want it to open in that directory. Is there a way to do this? And if so
> how?
> Mike

Neil Harley

Mike Zielinski wrote:
> I have Vista Premium and I want to know if there is a way to make the
> command line in a specified directory. I use it for only one
> directory and I always want it to open in that directory. Is there a
> way to do this? And if so how? Mike

paste the following into notepad and save it as a registry file. You may
need to show file extensions to change the txt to reg. Once done, double
click (or r/c and merge) and you'll get a Command Prompt here on all
directories:

--copy from below here--

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Command Prompt Here]
@="Command &Prompt Here"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Command Prompt Here\command]
@="cmd.exe /k cd %1 "

--copy above here--

Or do as someone else suggested and create a shortcut to cmd.exe with
whatever Start In path.

Mike Zielinski

Re: get command line to open in specified directory
Thank you all for your answers, for now I am putting the folder name in the
Start In fiield
Thanks again,
Mike Zielinski
"Neil Harley" wrote:

> Mike Zielinski wrote:
> > I have Vista Premium and I want to know if there is a way to make the
> > command line in a specified directory. I use it for only one
> > directory and I always want it to open in that directory. Is there a
> > way to do this? And if so how? Mike

> paste the following into notepad and save it as a registry file. You may
> need to show file extensions to change the txt to reg. Once done, double
> click (or r/c and merge) and you'll get a Command Prompt here on all
> directories:
>
> --copy from below here--
>
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Command Prompt Here]
> @="Command &Prompt Here"
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Command Prompt Here\command]
> @="cmd.exe /k cd %1 "
>
> --copy above here--
>
> Or do as someone else suggested and create a shortcut to cmd.exe with
> whatever Start In path.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: get command line to open in specified directory
It's actually included by default in Vista.

"Open Command Window Here" context menu option on file system folders in Windows Vista:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/109/1/

--
Regards,

"Neil Harley" wrote:

> Mike Zielinski wrote:
> > I have Vista Premium and I want to know if there is a way to make the
> > command line in a specified directory. I use it for only one
> > directory and I always want it to open in that directory. Is there a
> > way to do this? And if so how? Mike

> paste the following into notepad and save it as a registry file. You may
> need to show file extensions to change the txt to reg. Once done, double
> click (or r/c and merge) and you'll get a Command Prompt here on all
> directories:
>
> --copy from below here--
>
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Command Prompt Here]
> @="Command &Prompt Here"
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Command Prompt Here\command]
> @="cmd.exe /k cd %1 "
>
> --copy above here--
>
> Or do as someone else suggested and create a shortcut to cmd.exe with
> whatever Start In path.

Neil Harley

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> It's actually included by default in Vista.
>
> "Open Command Window Here" context menu option on file system folders
> in Windows Vista:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/109/1/

It may be but I couldn't get it to show on the menu no matter how hard I
pressed the Shift key ;-)

Neil Harley

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> It's actually included by default in Vista.
>
> "Open Command Window Here" context menu option on file system folders
> in Windows Vista:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/109/1/

I couldn't get the Open Command entry to show here which is why I resorted
to the reg entry.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: get command line to open in specified directory
Interesting! I'm sure it's included by default in Vista. Don't know why it doesn't work for you.

--
Regards,

"Neil Harley" <nomail@home> wrote in message news:58DA2E1D-8D3F-42C6-A1AF-C6395A2F3EA2@microsoft.com...
Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> It's actually included by default in Vista.
>
> "Open Command Window Here" context menu option on file system folders
> in Windows Vista:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/109/1/

I couldn't get the Open Command entry to show here which is why I resorted
to the reg entry.

David Mayerovitch

Re: get command line to open in specified directory
I find that Shift-RightClick will add "Open Command Window Here" to the
context menu only if you click on the folder in the right-hand pane of
Windows Explorer, or whatever it is called in Vista.

David