Vista upgrade -- XP Profile & data inaccessible

=?Utf-8?B?LURFUkVLLQ==?=

Vista upgrade -- XP Profile & data inaccessible
I need help.

I upgraded to RTM today and while my XP user profile is present in the
c:\users directory, but I cant access any of the documents, favorites, etc
from that profile any longer.

I have about 1.5 gigs of info in the profile, but have tried everything –
copy to, mounting the volume from a remote computer, etc.

When the upgrade was complete, originally everything came up -- my desktop
settings, docs, etc, just fine. Then, I turned off UAC and rebooted, and
when I logged in, Vista created an entirely new profile.

I have taken ownership of the directory, logged in as a local and network
administrator, upgraded all the user accounts to administrator, etc...no luck.

What am I missing here?

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBNYW4=?=

RE: Vista upgrade -- XP Profile & data inaccessible
I found my old profile in C:\Windows.old\Documents and Settings\

"-DEREK-" wrote:

> I need help.
>
> I upgraded to RTM today and while my XP user profile is present in the
> c:\users directory, but I cant access any of the documents, favorites, etc
> from that profile any longer.
>
> I have about 1.5 gigs of info in the profile, but have tried everything –
> copy to, mounting the volume from a remote computer, etc.
>
> When the upgrade was complete, originally everything came up -- my desktop
> settings, docs, etc, just fine. Then, I turned off UAC and rebooted, and
> when I logged in, Vista created an entirely new profile.
>
> I have taken ownership of the directory, logged in as a local and network
> administrator, upgraded all the user accounts to administrator, etc...no luck.
>
> What am I missing here?

=?Utf-8?B?LURFUkVLLQ==?=

RE: Vista upgrade -- XP Profile & data inaccessible
I wish it were as simple as that. Vista only creates a windows.old directory
when you do a fresh install, not an upgrade.

My suspicions were correct, the profile had either been deleted or Vista
lost the file headers. I bought a program called Recover 2000 Pro, and the
profile indeed was deleted and needed to be recovered.

Usng that tool, I was able to recover about 50% of the lost data, only
becuase after a week of use on the hard drive, most of the data had been
overwritten or lost from normal hard drive use.

Has anyone else had any experience with a profile being deleted and rendered
useless?