Local administrator

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FsaWZvcm5pYSBHZWV6ZXI=?=

Local administrator
I am the only user of my computer and I have administrator privileges.
However, when I try to install a program, I am not allowed to do so because I
am not the "local administrator." What is going on?
Adam

Re: Local administrator
California Geezer wrote:
> I am the only user of my computer and I have administrator privileges.
> However, when I try to install a program, I am not allowed to do so because I
> am not the "local administrator." What is going on?

By default even though you're local administrator, Vista will turn off
your admin priveleges unless you specifically approve them for certain
operations.

Can you right-click and "Run as administrator" whatever it is you're
doing to install?
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Local administrator
Adam

Vista does not actually 'turn off' admin privileges. An admin account in
Vista runs with the same privileges as a standard user, but if a program
needs admin privileges to install or perform other functions that require
elevated privileges, it will ask for permission.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Adam" <newsadam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> California Geezer wrote:
>> I am the only user of my computer and I have administrator privileges.
>> However, when I try to install a program, I am not allowed to do so
>> because I am not the "local administrator." What is going on?

> By default even though you're local administrator, Vista will turn off
> your admin priveleges unless you specifically approve them for certain
> operations.
>
> Can you right-click and "Run as administrator" whatever it is you're doing
> to install?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FsaWZvcm5pYSBHZWV6ZXI=?=

Re: Local administrator
The problem that I run into is not that Vista asks for permission, it denies
me permission. Even though I am the administrator, Vista will not install
the program because it says that I am not the administrator. What can I do?

California Geezer

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Adam
>
> Vista does not actually 'turn off' admin privileges. An admin account in
> Vista runs with the same privileges as a standard user, but if a program
> needs admin privileges to install or perform other functions that require
> elevated privileges, it will ask for permission.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Adam" <newsadam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > California Geezer wrote:
> >> I am the only user of my computer and I have administrator privileges.
> >> However, when I try to install a program, I am not allowed to do so
> >> because I am not the "local administrator." What is going on?

> > By default even though you're local administrator, Vista will turn off
> > your admin priveleges unless you specifically approve them for certain
> > operations.
> >
> > Can you right-click and "Run as administrator" whatever it is you're doing
> > to install?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Local administrator
Use the fix that Adam posted. Right click the installation file and select
the Run as administrator option. You should get a UAC pop up asking for
permission, just click Continue in that dialog box.

If you have disabled UAC, then enable it again.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"California Geezer" <CaliforniaGeezer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:4E2D0DB9-156D-4CC6-B315-06D9032CFAB1@microsoft.com...
> The problem that I run into is not that Vista asks for permission, it
> denies
> me permission. Even though I am the administrator, Vista will not install
> the program because it says that I am not the administrator. What can I
> do?
>
> California Geezer
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Adam
>>
>> Vista does not actually 'turn off' admin privileges. An admin account in
>> Vista runs with the same privileges as a standard user, but if a program
>> needs admin privileges to install or perform other functions that require
>> elevated privileges, it will ask for permission.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Adam" <newsadam@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > By default even though you're local administrator, Vista will turn off
>> > your admin priveleges unless you specifically approve them for certain
>> > operations.
>> >
>> > Can you right-click and "Run as administrator" whatever it is you're
>> > doing
>> > to install?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FsaWZvcm5pYSBHZWV6ZXI=?=

Re: Local administrator
Ronnie and Adam: Thank you for your help.