Display Settings

kkaralee

Display Settings

I have Home Premium 32. All of a sudden, starting last week sometime, I
started having to reset my display aspect every time I do a restart.
NEVER have had this problem before? It seems to be not saving my
settings. Any suggestions? Hopefully not too technical? Thanks.

--
kkaralee
DL

Re: Display Settings
Run Winupdate, from IE or the shortcut, type windows update in your search
bar/start menu
Then review installed updates to see if any driver updates were recently
installed, particularly video drivers.
Were any installed last week?

"kkaralee" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have Home Premium 32. All of a sudden, starting last week sometime, I
> started having to reset my display aspect every time I do a restart.
> NEVER have had this problem before? It seems to be not saving my
> settings. Any suggestions? Hopefully not too technical? Thanks.
>

> --
> kkaralee

Bruce Chambers

Re: Display Settings
kkaralee wrote:
> I have Home Premium 32. All of a sudden, starting last week sometime, I
> started having to reset my display aspect every time I do a restart.
> NEVER have had this problem before? It seems to be not saving my
> settings. Any suggestions? Hopefully not too technical? Thanks.

The first thing to do would be to install (or re-install) the most
current, Vista-specific video drivers for your computer's video adapter.
Obtain these only from the manufacturer of your specific video adapter.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Charlie Tame

Re: Display Settings
Bruce Chambers wrote:
> kkaralee wrote:
>> I have Home Premium 32. All of a sudden, starting last week sometime, I
>> started having to reset my display aspect every time I do a restart.
>> NEVER have had this problem before? It seems to be not saving my
>> settings. Any suggestions? Hopefully not too technical? Thanks.
>>

> The first thing to do would be to install (or re-install) the most
> current, Vista-specific video drivers for your computer's video adapter.
> Obtain these only from the manufacturer of your specific video adapter.

Actually Bruce I have an NVidia card and 2 identical flat screens, and
one of them periodically goes into lower color settings. I first
reinstalled the drivers, a fresh download from NVidia and that cured it
for a while but it came back. Next I tried messing with the NVidia tool
which achieved precisely nothing and then tried right click >
Personalize etc. The settings looked right but I changed res and then
changed it back and that fixed it. I am not sure how long I've had the
latest driver, it may coincide with the start of this problem but
obviously it doesn't happen all the time so it's hard to tell anyway,
but I have found in the past that the newest driver is not always the
best, sometimes they improve one thing but break something else.

I've never has a problem with drivers from MS update as long as they are
downloaded and installed by themselves and not as part of a list of
updates with other things going on, but get them with other updates and
I think you are asking for trouble in some cases.
Bruce Chambers

Re: Display Settings
Charlie Tame wrote:

> Actually Bruce I have an NVidia card and 2 identical flat screens, and
> one of them periodically goes into lower color settings. I first
> reinstalled the drivers, a fresh download from NVidia and that cured it
> for a while but it came back.

Since the problem only happens to one of the flat screens, you might
try switching their connections to see if the problem might be with the
misbehaving monitor. If the problem also switches, you can eliminate
the drivers and perhaps the video adapter from the equation.

Next I tried messing with the NVidia tool
> which achieved precisely nothing and then tried right click >
> Personalize etc. The settings looked right but I changed res and then
> changed it back and that fixed it. I am not sure how long I've had the
> latest driver, it may coincide with the start of this problem but
> obviously it doesn't happen all the time so it's hard to tell anyway,
> but I have found in the past that the newest driver is not always the
> best, sometimes they improve one thing but break something else.

That does happen on rare occasions, but not very often.

> I've never has a problem with drivers from MS update as long as they are
> downloaded and installed by themselves and not as part of a list of
> updates with other things going on, but get them with other updates and
> I think you are asking for trouble in some cases.

In general, I've found it best *not* to download any "Driver"
updates from Windows Update, unless they're for a hardware device
originally manufactured by Microsoft. Device drivers provided by each
component's manufacturer's web site are likely to perform better and
offer more features than will the watered-down, "generic" drivers that
those manufacturers provide to Microsoft for distribution
via Windows Update.