I need Permission to open a folder

MCC124

I need Permission to open a folder

Hello, I am a new member and looking for the answer to a problem. Vista
Home Premium 32. I need to open Documents and settings, within "My
Computer" I get a message to say I do not have permission to open this.
I am the only user of my PC. Please how can I get round this?

--
MCC124
Bruce Chambers

Re: I need Permission to open a folder
MCC124 wrote:
> Hello, I am a new member and looking for the answer to a problem. Vista
> Home Premium 32. I need to open Documents and settings, within "My
> Computer" I get a message to say I do not have permission to open this.
> I am the only user of my PC. Please how can I get round this?

Within the Vista schema, "Documents and Settings" isn't a real folder,
so it has no contents and cannot be accessed. It's what's known as a
"junction point," whose sole purpose it to direct legacy applications to
the correct corresponding folder locations within Vista's new file
structure. The rough equivalent would be the C:\Users folder. What,
precisely, are you trying to accomplish? Perhaps someone could than
offer you more specific guidance.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
The Cool Guy

Re: I need Permission to open a folder

Look here;
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ile.html?ltr=T

--
The Cool Guy

Signature loading..... Please Wait....
(84%...)
MCC124

Bruce Chambers;835020 Wrote:
> MCC124 wrote:-
> Hello, I am a new member and looking for the answer to a problem.
> Vista
> Home Premium 32. I need to open Documents and settings, within "My
> Computer" I get a message to say I do not have permission to open
> this.
> I am the only user of my PC. Please how can I get round this?
>

> -
>

> Within the Vista schema, "Documents and Settings" isn't a real folder,
>
> so it has no contents and cannot be accessed. It's what's known as a
> "junction point," whose sole purpose it to direct legacy applications
> the correct corresponding folder locations within Vista's new file
> structure. The rough equivalent would be the C:\Users folder. What,
> precisely, are you trying to accomplish? Perhaps someone could than
> offer you more specific guidance.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> 'How To Ask Questions The Smart Way'
> (http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html)
>
> 'How to ask a question'
> (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375)

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

Hello Bruce,
Not sure if this is the right place to reply, but could not find any
other route to use.
The reason for wanting to open "Documents and Settings" is, that
Ashampoo, tell me to do so, to be able to uninstall Their burner, I
have been having problems in that the Ashampoo Burner will not
recognise either of my two drives (cd/dvd) internal or external.
I can uninstall, via the control panel, but they sugest I also go
deeper. Thanks
Michael

--
MCC124
Richard G. Harper

Re: I need Permission to open a folder
The problem is that despite their advice, you cannot open "Documents and
Settings" in Vista as it does not exist. They need to update their
instructions to take Vista into account. I would uninstall the product in
the normal manner and see if that resolves your issue.

MCC124 wrote:

> Hello Bruce,
> Not sure if this is the right place to reply, but could not find any
> other route to use.
> The reason for wanting to open "Documents and Settings" is, that
> Ashampoo, tell me to do so,...

I can't imagine why they'd tell you that. It's clear that they know
little or nothing of Vista. As I said, "Documents and Settings" is just
a junction point, and cannot be accessed. It may be that you'll find
remnants to this poorly designed application within the C:\Program Files
and/or the C:\Program Data directory trees.