Insufficient Privileges

Url

Insufficient Privileges

I've been trying to open an application with a self-extracting installer
I've downloaded, and keep getting this error message:

"Unable to write to the temp directory in
C:\Users\X\AppData\Local\Temp\. Check that you have write access to this
directory."

Every account has full access and ownership of every file on my
computer, and the account I'm using is the admin. I've checked this more
times than I care to count, have tried opening in safe mode to receive
the same error message, and have even tried downloading a different
version to see if maybe it was corrupt, and received the same result.
I've had this error a few times in the past, but never on anything I was
so intent on trying out that I've become this frustrated. Any ideas?

--
Url
rive0108

Re: Insufficient Privileges

Url;1058162 Wrote:
> I've been trying to open an application with a self-extracting installer
> I've downloaded, and keep getting this error message:
>
> "Unable to write to the temp directory in
> C:\Users\X\AppData\Local\Temp\. Check that you have write access to this
> directory."
>
> Every account has full access and ownership of every file on my
> computer, and the account I'm using is the admin. I've checked this more
> times than I care to count, have tried opening in safe mode to receive
> the same error message, and have even tried downloading a different
> version to see if maybe it was corrupt, and received the same result.
> I've had this error a few times in the past, but never on anything I was
> so intent on trying out that I've become this frustrated. Any ideas?

You do realize in Vista that the Appdata folder is not a real folder
right? Thats why you cant write to it. its a "junction".

--
rive0108
Url

rive0108;1058169 Wrote:

> You do realize in Vista that the Appdata folder is not a real folder
> right? Thats why you cant write to it. its a "junction".

Is there any way through Vista functions that I can reroute the
extraction? The application is encrypted, and I'm nowhere near
experienced enough with that stuff to begin to mess with it.

Url;1058170 Wrote:
> > rive0108;1058169 Wrote:
> >
> > You do realize in Vista that the Appdata folder is not a real folder
> > right? Thats why you cant write to it. its a "junction".> >

> It extracts there by default. Is there any way through Vista
> functions that I can reroute the extraction? The application is
> encrypted, and I'm nowhere near experienced enough with that stuff to
> begin to mess with it.

Are you trying to use an XP app? try compatability mode to install.

--
rive0108
Url

rive0108;1058178 Wrote:

> Are you trying to use an XP app? try compatability mode to install.

Tried as well, still no dice. I appreciate your help, but I think I'm
going to try a different application similar to this. Thanks!

--
Url