100% Safe ???

GJB

100% Safe ???
I keep reading about all of the ways to circumvent the Windows Vista login
password. Is there anything I can do to make certain that nobody can log
into my system?...for example..is there anything that will protect me from
someone logging in and obtaining my personal information if my computer is
stolen ?

Thanks.
nate42nd

Re: 100% Safe ???

GJB;1053659 Wrote:
> I keep reading about all of the ways to circumvent the Windows Vista
> login
> password. Is there anything I can do to make certain that nobody can
> log
> into my system?...for example..is there anything that will protect me
> from
> someone logging in and obtaining my personal information if my computer
> is
> stolen ?
>
> Thanks.

I can safely say nothing is 100% but encrypting your data would be a
pain but a good step. You could encrypt just the data that's most
sensitive. I don't use encryption software so can't recommend any but I
hope this helps.

--
nate42nd
DL

Re: 100% Safe ???
There are third party tools that can be used to not only encrypt but will
destroy all data in the event of your laptop being stolen.

"GJB" <GJB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I keep reading about all of the ways to circumvent the Windows Vista login
> password. Is there anything I can do to make certain that nobody can log
> into my system?...for example..is there anything that will protect me from
> someone logging in and obtaining my personal information if my computer is
> stolen ?
>
> Thanks.

GJB

Re: 100% Safe ???
That's good to know....can you please tell me the name of some of these
software packages that will destroy data if stolen ?????

"DL" wrote:

> There are third party tools that can be used to not only encrypt but will
> destroy all data in the event of your laptop being stolen.
>
> "GJB" <GJB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I keep reading about all of the ways to circumvent the Windows Vista login
> > password. Is there anything I can do to make certain that nobody can log
> > into my system?...for example..is there anything that will protect me from
> > someone logging in and obtaining my personal information if my computer is
> > stolen ?
> >
> > Thanks.

GJB

Re: 100% Safe ???
How about a fingerprint reader...would that help secure a desktop system ?

"GJB" wrote:

> That's good to know....can you please tell me the name of some of these
> software packages that will destroy data if stolen ?????
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
> > There are third party tools that can be used to not only encrypt but will
> > destroy all data in the event of your laptop being stolen.
> >
> > "GJB" <GJB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I keep reading about all of the ways to circumvent the Windows Vista login
> > > password. Is there anything I can do to make certain that nobody can log
> > > into my system?...for example..is there anything that will protect me from
> > > someone logging in and obtaining my personal information if my computer is
> > > stolen ?
> > >
> > > Thanks.

Noel Paton

Re: 100% Safe ???
On Fri, 29 May 2009 19:11:01 -0700, GJB
<GJB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How about a fingerprint reader...would that help secure a desktop system ?
>
>"GJB" wrote:
>
>> That's good to know....can you please tell me the name of some of these
>> software packages that will destroy data if stolen ?????

No- fingerprint readers only come into play after the OS has booted.
The ONLY way for your data to be 100% safe is not to store it!
As someone has already said, there are means to encrypt your data, and
further secure it by having the encryption key on a removable drive -
if the system is then booted without appropriate credentials, it can
be set to 'phone home' to check for status, and if the 'wrong' answer
is supplied, it may wipe the drive/data.
Note that all this does is place another obstacle in the path of the
determined intruder with deep pockets.
If you need 100% security, don't store data - how close you want to
get to 100% depends on your needs, pocket, and reality.

Once someone has physical access to you,r PC it's 'theoretically
possible' to recover almost everything you've ever done (the older the
data the more expensive the recovery). NOTHING can prevent that except
physical destruction of the HD and RAM.
--
Noel Paton

http://www.crashfixpc.co.uk