Adding privileges to an account

Conficker

Adding privileges to an account

Hi,

Is there anybody in this world who can tell me:
HOW TO ADD "DEBUG PROGRAMS" PRIVILEGE TO MY ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT IN
VISTA HOME PREMIUM?

I have posted this question on many forums, and haven't got appropriate
answer yet. It is pretty frustrating that most people, even the
moderators of some forums, don't know that SECPOL.MSC and GPEDIT.MSC
tools are definitely not available in Home editions of XP and Vista.

But let's get to the problem.
Like I said, I have Vista Home Premium 32bit installed on my laptop,
and I run it with Administrator account.
For some reasons I need to add "Debug programs" privilege to my
account.
This wouldn't be such a problem if I could use secpol.msc or
gpedit.msc. But I cannot because these tools are not available in Home
Premium. Whenever I try to run them by typing their names in Run dialog,
after I hit Enter I get the message:
"Windows cannot find 'secpol.msc'(/'gpedit.msc'). Make sure you typed
the name correctly, and try again".

I have lost plenty of time searching the WEB before I found out that
these two tools are excluded from Home editions of Vista (and XP). Some
smart guys in Microsoft decided that they are not necessary as most of
the settings that can be done with them are nothing but plain registry
settings. So they left us users to use Regedit tool instead.

OK, now I am aware that, in order to assign "Debug programs" privilege
tu my user rights, I have to mess with Registry. We all know how
dangerous it can be, especially for a newbie like me. I can't even
imagine which entries should I have to add or modify there.

So I'd appreciate very much if someone could give me detailed, step by
step, instructions - how to add "Debug programs" privilege to my
Administrator account through the Registry.

Thanks in advance.

--
Conficker
Brink

Re: Adding privileges to an account

Hello Conficker,

I'm not sure what you are trying to do using this. I looked in my
secpol.msc. and by default, Administrator accounts have privileges for
"Debug Programs". You might see if using the built-in Administrator
account may work better for you with it.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...r-account.html

13061

Hope this helps,
Shawn

Conficker;1051161 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there anybody in this world who can tell me:
> HOW TO ADD "DEBUG PROGRAMS" PRIVILEGE TO MY ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT IN
> VISTA HOME PREMIUM?
>
> I have posted this question on many forums, and haven't got appropriate
> answer yet. It is pretty frustrating that most people, even the
> moderators of some forums, don't know that SECPOL.MSC and GPEDIT.MSC
> tools are definitely not available in Home editions of XP and Vista.
>
> But let's get to the problem.
> Like I said, I have Vista Home Premium 32bit installed on my laptop,
> and I run it with Administrator account.
> For some reasons I need to add "Debug programs" privilege to my
> account.
> This wouldn't be such a problem if I could use secpol.msc or
> gpedit.msc. But I cannot because these tools are not available in Home
> Premium. Whenever I try to run them by typing their names in Run dialog,
> after I hit Enter I get the message:
> "Windows cannot find 'secpol.msc'(/'gpedit.msc'). Make sure you typed
> the name correctly, and try again".
>
> I have lost plenty of time searching the WEB before I found out that
> these two tools are excluded from Home editions of Vista (and XP). Some
> smart guys in Microsoft decided that they are not necessary as most of
> the settings that can be done with them are nothing but plain registry
> settings. So they left us users to use Regedit tool instead.
>
> OK, now I am aware that, in order to assign "Debug programs" privilege
> tu my user rights, I have to mess with Registry. We all know how
> dangerous it can be, especially for a newbie like me. I can't even
> imagine which entries should I have to add or modify there.
>
> So I'd appreciate very much if someone could give me detailed, step by
> step, instructions - how to add "Debug programs" privilege to my
> Administrator account through the Registry.
>
> Thanks in advance.

|Filename: Secpol.jpg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13061|

Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*::Windows 7 Forums::*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and*
'*::Vista Forums::*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Brink

Re: Adding privileges to an account

No problem Conficker.

I believe what you are needing is what Nigel had suggested above.

Please let us know how it turned out for you.

Shawn