Still an Urgent Problem

Rebecca

Still an Urgent Problem
Greetings! I am using Windows Vista Home Premium. I recently downloaded an
upgrade that requires me to uninstall a previous version of the program. When
I go to "Control Panel" and click on "Uninstall or Change a Program," I get
this message, which I didn't see a month or so ago:

"Your system administrator has disabled Programs and Features."

Thus, I can't uninstall the program and install the upgrade, which is an
urgent matter. Can any of the Vista experts help me with this problem? Thank
you.

Rebecca

Anthony Baratta

RE: Still an Urgent Problem
hi

locate the app on your pc - ie: C:/Program Files/Your app Folder/yourapp.exe

right click the exe file select properties, a dialog will open select
"Compatibility" tab,

under "Privilege Level" click "Show settings for all users" button

confirm by clicking continue

in the next dialog goto "Privilege Level", tick the check box - Run this
program as an administrator, click apply then ok, then ok.

open control panel, then Programs and Features, scroll down to the app you
want to uninstall, click it to highlight it, right click it to display
uninstall option and uninstall it.

regards

"Rebecca" wrote:

> Greetings! I am using Windows Vista Home Premium. I recently downloaded an
> upgrade that requires me to uninstall a previous version of the program. When
> I go to "Control Panel" and click on "Uninstall or Change a Program," I get
> this message, which I didn't see a month or so ago:
>
> "Your system administrator has disabled Programs and Features."
>
> Thus, I can't uninstall the program and install the upgrade, which is an
> urgent matter. Can any of the Vista experts help me with this problem? Thank
> you.
>
> Rebecca

Rebecca

RE: Still an Urgent Problem
Dear Anthony, if I may,

I think I misled you with a poorly written explanation.

The problem is not with the specific program I just downloaded. It is with
the entire VISTA Control Panel. Namely, when I go to Control Panel / click on
"Uninstall or Change a Program," I get this message:

"Your system administrator has disabled Programs and Features."

That is, nothing appears in the window, other than the message above. I also
get many such messages -- "Your system administrator has disabled ..." -- for
other items in the Control Panel.

I hope this is a better explanation, and I hope Windows 7 solves some of
these extremely frustrating situations. This is an urgent problem, and I've
searched the Internet, called Microsoft (they said talk to the notebook
maker) but so far no luck. This is clearly a VISTA problem, not a hardware
problem.

Rebecca

"Anthony Baratta" wrote:

> hi
>
> locate the app on your pc - ie: C:/Program Files/Your app Folder/yourapp.exe
>
> right click the exe file select properties, a dialog will open select
> "Compatibility" tab,
>
> under "Privilege Level" click "Show settings for all users" button
>
> confirm by clicking continue
>
> in the next dialog goto "Privilege Level", tick the check box - Run this
> program as an administrator, click apply then ok, then ok.
>
> open control panel, then Programs and Features, scroll down to the app you
> want to uninstall, click it to highlight it, right click it to display
> uninstall option and uninstall it.
>
> regards
>

> "Rebecca" wrote:
>
> > Greetings! I am using Windows Vista Home Premium. I recently downloaded an
> > upgrade that requires me to uninstall a previous version of the program. When
> > I go to "Control Panel" and click on "Uninstall or Change a Program," I get
> > this message, which I didn't see a month or so ago:
> >
> > "Your system administrator has disabled Programs and Features."
> >
> > Thus, I can't uninstall the program and install the upgrade, which is an
> > urgent matter. Can any of the Vista experts help me with this problem? Thank
> > you.
> >
> > Rebecca

Anthony Baratta

RE: Still an Urgent Problem
hi

ok

goto Start/start search

type MMC

confirm continue, the mmc window opens select file from the menu then select
open
this will open the administrative template folder.

if this folder is empty use the drop down and navigate to
Drive:/windows/system32

locate gpedit.msc

once open expand User configuration then locate and expand Administrative
Templates then expand Control Panel

select Add or Remove Programs - note the state - if they are marked as
disabled then double click on the setting and select Not configured option

regards

"Rebecca" wrote:

> Dear Anthony, if I may,
>
> I think I misled you with a poorly written explanation.
>
> The problem is not with the specific program I just downloaded. It is with
> the entire VISTA Control Panel. Namely, when I go to Control Panel / click on
> "Uninstall or Change a Program," I get this message:
>
> "Your system administrator has disabled Programs and Features."
>
> That is, nothing appears in the window, other than the message above. I also
> get many such messages -- "Your system administrator has disabled ..." -- for
> other items in the Control Panel.
>
> I hope this is a better explanation, and I hope Windows 7 solves some of
> these extremely frustrating situations. This is an urgent problem, and I've
> searched the Internet, called Microsoft (they said talk to the notebook
> maker) but so far no luck. This is clearly a VISTA problem, not a hardware
> problem.
>
> Rebecca
>
> "Anthony Baratta" wrote:
>
> > hi
> >
> > locate the app on your pc - ie: C:/Program Files/Your app Folder/yourapp.exe
> >
> > right click the exe file select properties, a dialog will open select
> > "Compatibility" tab,
> >
> > under "Privilege Level" click "Show settings for all users" button
> >
> > confirm by clicking continue
> >
> > in the next dialog goto "Privilege Level", tick the check box - Run this
> > program as an administrator, click apply then ok, then ok.
> >
> > open control panel, then Programs and Features, scroll down to the app you
> > want to uninstall, click it to highlight it, right click it to display
> > uninstall option and uninstall it.
> >
> > regards
> >

> > "Rebecca" wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings! I am using Windows Vista Home Premium. I recently downloaded an
> > > upgrade that requires me to uninstall a previous version of the program. When
> > > I go to "Control Panel" and click on "Uninstall or Change a Program," I get
> > > this message, which I didn't see a month or so ago:
> > >
> > > "Your system administrator has disabled Programs and Features."
> > >
> > > Thus, I can't uninstall the program and install the upgrade, which is an
> > > urgent matter. Can any of the Vista experts help me with this problem? Thank
> > > you.
> > >
> > > Rebecca

Rebecca

RE: Still an Urgent Problem
Thanks, Anthony, but I am using VISTA Home Premium which does not include the
gpedit.msc program. Only God knows why Microsoft does this, and I have to be
very careful not to criticize Microsoft in any way in this discussion group,
but it is extremely frustrating to have to struggle with all these VISTA
issues which arise periodically.

Regards,

Rebecca

"Anthony Baratta" wrote:

> hi
>
> ok
>
> goto Start/start search
>
> type MMC
>
> confirm continue, the mmc window opens select file from the menu then select
> open
> this will open the administrative template folder.
>
> if this folder is empty use the drop down and navigate to
> Drive:/windows/system32
>
> locate gpedit.msc
>
> once open expand User configuration then locate and expand Administrative
> Templates then expand Control Panel
>
> select Add or Remove Programs - note the state - if they are marked as
> disabled then double click on the setting and select Not configured option
>
> regards
>
> "Rebecca" wrote:
>
> > Dear Anthony, if I may,
> >
> > I think I misled you with a poorly written explanation.
> >
> > The problem is not with the specific program I just downloaded. It is with
> > the entire VISTA Control Panel. Namely, when I go to Control Panel / click on
> > "Uninstall or Change a Program," I get this message:
> >
> > "Your system administrator has disabled Programs and Features."
> >
> > That is, nothing appears in the window, other than the message above. I also
> > get many such messages -- "Your system administrator has disabled ..." -- for
> > other items in the Control Panel.
> >
> > I hope this is a better explanation, and I hope Windows 7 solves some of
> > these extremely frustrating situations. This is an urgent problem, and I've
> > searched the Internet, called Microsoft (they said talk to the notebook
> > maker) but so far no luck. This is clearly a VISTA problem, not a hardware
> > problem.
> >
> > Rebecca
> >
> > "Anthony Baratta" wrote:
> >
> > > hi
> > >
> > > locate the app on your pc - ie: C:/Program Files/Your app Folder/yourapp.exe
> > >
> > > right click the exe file select properties, a dialog will open select
> > > "Compatibility" tab,
> > >
> > > under "Privilege Level" click "Show settings for all users" button
> > >
> > > confirm by clicking continue
> > >
> > > in the next dialog goto "Privilege Level", tick the check box - Run this
> > > program as an administrator, click apply then ok, then ok.
> > >
> > > open control panel, then Programs and Features, scroll down to the app you
> > > want to uninstall, click it to highlight it, right click it to display
> > > uninstall option and uninstall it.
> > >
> > > regards

Jim Moriarty

Re: Still an Urgent Problem
On Tue, 26 May 2009 09:10:02 -0700, Rebecca
<Rebecca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks, Anthony, but I am using VISTA Home Premium which does not include the
>gpedit.msc program. Only God knows why Microsoft does this, and I have to be
>very careful not to criticize Microsoft in any way in this discussion group,

Why?

Are you an employee?

Why?
Rebecca

Re: Still an Urgent Problem
No, I don't work for the company, heaven forbid. But many of the experts in
this discussion group are MS MVPs, and they don't appreciate negative
comments about their benefactor ("rants" as the complaints are labeled). So I
guess I let the cat out of the bag. I have nothing but utter contempt for
VISTA, and I am not the only one. I suppose I will have to wait for 7 to come
out late this year. It can't be any worse. There is always the Mac option.

"Jim Moriarty" wrote:

> On Tue, 26 May 2009 09:10:02 -0700, Rebecca
> <Rebecca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Thanks, Anthony, but I am using VISTA Home Premium which does not include the
> >gpedit.msc program. Only God knows why Microsoft does this, and I have to be
> >very careful not to criticize Microsoft in any way in this discussion group,

> Why?
>
> Are you an employee?
>
> Why?

Anthony Baratta

RE: Still an Urgent Problem
hi

sorry for time dif - i'm in australia

goto Start/start search - and type control.exe, once listed in menu right
click and select run as administrator - let me know if control panel items
are listed

regards

"Rebecca" wrote:

> Greetings! I am using Windows Vista Home Premium. I recently downloaded an
> upgrade that requires me to uninstall a previous version of the program. When
> I go to "Control Panel" and click on "Uninstall or Change a Program," I get
> this message, which I didn't see a month or so ago:
>
> "Your system administrator has disabled Programs and Features."
>
> Thus, I can't uninstall the program and install the upgrade, which is an
> urgent matter. Can any of the Vista experts help me with this problem? Thank
> you.
>
> Rebecca

Rebecca

RE: Still an Urgent Problem
Dear Anthony,

All the icons are listed, but when I click on the "Program and Features"
icon, I get the ominous message: "Your system administrator has disabiled
Programs and Features." I ran a virus check and it came up clean. Thus, I am
unable to uninstall a program from the Control Panel (I didn't try to
uninstall from the program's folder because I want to resolve this problem
first).

Regards,

Rebecca

"Anthony Baratta" wrote:

> hi
>
> sorry for time dif - i'm in australia
>
> goto Start/start search - and type control.exe, once listed in menu right
> click and select run as administrator - let me know if control panel items
> are listed
>
> regards
>
> "Rebecca" wrote:
>
> > Greetings! I am using Windows Vista Home Premium. I recently downloaded an
> > upgrade that requires me to uninstall a previous version of the program. When
> > I go to "Control Panel" and click on "Uninstall or Change a Program," I get
> > this message, which I didn't see a month or so ago:
> >
> > "Your system administrator has disabled Programs and Features."
> >
> > Thus, I can't uninstall the program and install the upgrade, which is an
> > urgent matter. Can any of the Vista experts help me with this problem? Thank
> > you.
> >
> > Rebecca

Anthony Baratta

RE: Still an Urgent Problem
hi

try this microsoft windows uninstall utility, once installed right click an
select run as administrator, this tool will allow you to uninstall the
programs you require.

i will also look into your problem further to locate a fix for you and
others with this problem.

link > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/290301

regards