"Lock" Vista

99XJ

"Lock" Vista
I do not have the Vista installed on my PC, I am asking on behalf of my Dad.
I set up the Vista for them, and they do not have a password for the user
account. My dad accidentally hit the "Lock" button (in Start menu) instead
of the off button. He says it now says "User Locked" I haven't checked it
out yet, and am unfamiliar with Vista but how can I unlock it if there is no
password associated with the user?

DP

Re: "Lock" Vista

He might try the Switch User button which is on the lockout screen and see
where that gets him.
Is it actually asking him for a password? Or are you just assuming it will
ask?

"99XJ" <rnwrede@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I do not have the Vista installed on my PC, I am asking on behalf of my
>Dad.
> I set up the Vista for them, and they do not have a password for the user
> account. My dad accidentally hit the "Lock" button (in Start menu) instead
> of the off button. He says it now says "User Locked" I haven't checked it
> out yet, and am unfamiliar with Vista but how can I unlock it if there is
> no
> password associated with the user?

Ashton Crusher

Re: "Lock" Vista
On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 21:46:04 -0700, "99XJ" <rnwrede@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I do not have the Vista installed on my PC, I am asking on behalf of my Dad.
>I set up the Vista for them, and they do not have a password for the user
>account. My dad accidentally hit the "Lock" button (in Start menu) instead
>of the off button. He says it now says "User Locked" I haven't checked it
>out yet, and am unfamiliar with Vista but how can I unlock it if there is no
>password associated with the user?

I've noticed that when my machine goes into standby and then I take it
back out the screen that comes up shows the word "Locked" under my
account icon. But I have no password and I just click on the account
icon and it goes on into Vista.
HairyMcLeary

Re: "Lock" Vista
"99XJ" <rnwrede@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I do not have the Vista installed on my PC, I am asking on behalf of my
>Dad.
> I set up the Vista for them, and they do not have a password for the user
> account. My dad accidentally hit the "Lock" button (in Start menu) instead
> of the off button. He says it now says "User Locked" I haven't checked it
> out yet, and am unfamiliar with Vista but how can I unlock it if there is
> no
> password associated with the user?

If he hasn't set a password then the password is nothing, just click the
arrow without typing anything and the session should resume.

Rock

Re: "Lock" Vista
"99XJ" <rnwrede@yahoo.com> wrote
>I do not have the Vista installed on my PC, I am asking on behalf of my
>Dad.
> I set up the Vista for them, and they do not have a password for the user
> account. My dad accidentally hit the "Lock" button (in Start menu) instead
> of the off button. He says it now says "User Locked" I haven't checked it
> out yet, and am unfamiliar with Vista but how can I unlock it if there is
> no
> password associated with the user?

It's not good safety practice to operate without a password. FYI, no need
to crosspost to all those groups.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

99XJ

Re: "Lock" Vista
Thanks all, I figured out last night after posting that all he had to do was
just click account or enter blank password. He was on the phone and didn't
make sense at the time.

I was told not to "crosspost" a while back so I didn't, crossposting is when
you post to multi groups one at a time. I was instructed to enter desired
groups into the "To:" (Newsgroups) all at once (outlook express, click
Newsgroups, then desired groups) and this was exceptable practice.

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
"99XJ" <rnwrede@yahoo.com> wrote
>I do not have the Vista installed on my PC, I am asking on behalf of my
>Dad.
> I set up the Vista for them, and they do not have a password for the user
> account. My dad accidentally hit the "Lock" button (in Start menu) instead
> of the off button. He says it now says "User Locked" I haven't checked it
> out yet, and am unfamiliar with Vista but how can I unlock it if there is
> no
> password associated with the user?

It's not good safety practice to operate without a password. FYI, no need
to crosspost to all those groups.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

mikeyhsd

Re: "Lock" Vista
that's just our resident net nanny giving you a virtual spanking.

you are correct that is the most acceptable manner putting all the groups on one line. and it appears that is what you have done.

but you should not post to too many groups at once. again you did not.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"99XJ" <rnwrede@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23dM6tA$fHHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
Thanks all, I figured out last night after posting that all he had to do was
just click account or enter blank password. He was on the phone and didn't
make sense at the time.

I was told not to "crosspost" a while back so I didn't, crossposting is when
you post to multi groups one at a time. I was instructed to enter desired
groups into the "To:" (Newsgroups) all at once (outlook express, click
Newsgroups, then desired groups) and this was exceptable practice.

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
"99XJ" <rnwrede@yahoo.com> wrote
>I do not have the Vista installed on my PC, I am asking on behalf of my
>Dad.
> I set up the Vista for them, and they do not have a password for the user
> account. My dad accidentally hit the "Lock" button (in Start menu) instead
> of the off button. He says it now says "User Locked" I haven't checked it
> out yet, and am unfamiliar with Vista but how can I unlock it if there is
> no
> password associated with the user?

It's not good safety practice to operate without a password. FYI, no need
to crosspost to all those groups.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Jerry

Re: "Lock" Vista
A stupid question: did you try just entering nothing? You know, a blank
password?

"99XJ" <rnwrede@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I do not have the Vista installed on my PC, I am asking on behalf of my
>Dad.
> I set up the Vista for them, and they do not have a password for the user
> account. My dad accidentally hit the "Lock" button (in Start menu) instead
> of the off button. He says it now says "User Locked" I haven't checked it
> out yet, and am unfamiliar with Vista but how can I unlock it if there is
> no
> password associated with the user?

Rock

Re: "Lock" Vista
"99XJ" <rnwrede@yahoo.com> wrote
> Thanks all, I figured out last night after posting that all he had to do
> was
> just click account or enter blank password. He was on the phone and didn't
> make sense at the time.
>
> I was told not to "crosspost" a while back so I didn't, crossposting is
> when
> you post to multi groups one at a time. I was instructed to enter desired
> groups into the "To:" (Newsgroups) all at once (outlook express, click
> Newsgroups, then desired groups) and this was exceptable practice.

You're misunderstanding the terms crossposting and multiposting, and when
they are appropriate. Crossposting means sending _one_ message to multiple
groups at the same time. This is what you did.

Multiposting means sending the same message _separately_ to the different
groups. One should never multipost.

Crossposting is ok, but it should be done judiciously, and then only to one
or two groups, and only if needed. It shouldn't be done as a shotgun
approach.

My comment was more informational, that there was no need to crosspost this
question. It is a basic question. Pick one applicable group such as
vista.general or vista.security. Crosspost only when relevant to multiple
groups, and it's a complicated or very specialized issue, and you don't know
where the problem really lies; under these circumstances, do it to one or
two at the most.

Under normal circumstances for basic questions just pick one group that is
the most appropriate. This is especially true in newsgroups that have the
same base such as these vista newsgroups.

Hope that clears it up, and glad the issue is resolved. Hopefully the user
will add a password for good security practices.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]