Need For Passwords in Vista

=?Utf-8?B?V0JsYWNrbWFu?=

Need For Passwords in Vista
In one of the FAQ on support.microsoft.com it was asked if there had to be a
password associated with a user name. The answer was no that a password was
not needed but recommended. I have a friend who lives alone and just
purchased a new computer. Everything that she turns the computer on, she is
greeted with a request for her password. She lives along and is the only
person that ever accesses the computer. Does anyone know of a way to remove
this useless request for a password?
mikeyhsd

Re: Need For Passwords in Vista
start / run
control userpasswords2
bottom of that advanced tab

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"WBlackman" <WBlackman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49A601C3-02C5-474E-8A9F-F7C915A72581@microsoft.com...
In one of the FAQ on support.microsoft.com it was asked if there had to be a
password associated with a user name. The answer was no that a password was
not needed but recommended. I have a friend who lives alone and just
purchased a new computer. Everything that she turns the computer on, she is
greeted with a request for her password. She lives along and is the only
person that ever accesses the computer. Does anyone know of a way to remove
this useless request for a password?
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Need For Passwords in Vista
A password is never useless and it usually only takes a few seconds to type
it in the box.

If someone breaks into her home, and sits down at her computer, they would
have unrestricted access to all of her private information.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"WBlackman" <WBlackman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In one of the FAQ on support.microsoft.com it was asked if there had to be
> password associated with a user name. The answer was no that a password
> was
> not needed but recommended. I have a friend who lives alone and just
> purchased a new computer. Everything that she turns the computer on, she
> is
> greeted with a request for her password. She lives along and is the only
> person that ever accesses the computer. Does anyone know of a way to
> remove
> this useless request for a password?

=?Utf-8?B?V0JsYWNrbWFu?=

Re: Need For Passwords in Vista
Mikey,

I believe that I understand what you said, that is if you are saying to
enter the command of "control userpasswords2" in the run option. I will try
it tomorrow when I visit my friend.

Thank you for your help.

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> start / run
> control userpasswords2
> bottom of that advanced tab
>

> mikeyhsd@comcast.net
>

> "WBlackman" <WBlackman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49A601C3-02C5-474E-8A9F-F7C915A72581@microsoft.com...
> In one of the FAQ on support.microsoft.com it was asked if there had to be a
> password associated with a user name. The answer was no that a password was
> not needed but recommended. I have a friend who lives alone and just
> purchased a new computer. Everything that she turns the computer on, she is
> greeted with a request for her password. She lives along and is the only
> person that ever accesses the computer. Does anyone know of a way to remove
> this useless request for a password?

=?Utf-8?B?V0JsYWNrbWFu?=

Re: Need For Passwords in Vista
Ronnie,

I guess this is something that we must not agree on. A password is fine if a
person wants to have it but I do not feel that it should be forced upon
anyone.

My friend uses her computer only to connect to AOL to read her email. Is
someone breaks into her house and all they do is read her mail, she will be
one lucky person.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> A password is never useless and it usually only takes a few seconds to type
> it in the box.
>
> If someone breaks into her home, and sits down at her computer, they would
> have unrestricted access to all of her private information.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "WBlackman" <WBlackman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In one of the FAQ on support.microsoft.com it was asked if there had to be
> > password associated with a user name. The answer was no that a password
> > was
> > not needed but recommended. I have a friend who lives alone and just
> > purchased a new computer. Everything that she turns the computer on, she
> > is
> > greeted with a request for her password. She lives along and is the only
> > person that ever accesses the computer. Does anyone know of a way to
> > remove
> > this useless request for a password?

mikeyhsd

Re: Need For Passwords in Vista
hope it works ok.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> start / run
> control userpasswords2
> bottom of that advanced tab
>

> mikeyhsd@comcast.net
>

> "WBlackman" <WBlackman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49A601C3-02C5-474E-8A9F-F7C915A72581@microsoft.com...
> In one of the FAQ on support.microsoft.com it was asked if there had to be a
> password associated with a user name. The answer was no that a password was
> not needed but recommended. I have a friend who lives alone and just
> purchased a new computer. Everything that she turns the computer on, she is
> greeted with a request for her password. She lives along and is the only
> person that ever accesses the computer. Does anyone know of a way to remove
> this useless request for a password?

Hedy Keller

AW: Need For Passwords in Vista

Make use of the standard features within Vista:

Open system control (from the start panel), you will see an item with user
account, open that and follow the next items and instructions. You have both
possibilities to define or undefine a password.

Hedy

=?Utf-8?B?V0JsYWNrbWFu?=

RE: AW: Need For Passwords in Vista
Thank you Hedy. I will be going over to my friends house later today and will
try to make the change to her computer. I guess that one of the major
problems associated with software these days is that there are no longer
manuals that explain all of the options on a computer and where they are
located.

A higher leven of security is a great thing if you need it but it should
never be forced upon someone just to prove that you can do it. The system
used on some larger computers where you can put a password on say a given
folder makes a lot more sense to me than this sigh-onj password. But maybe
the programmers at microsoft are not up to the level of those that existed in
the past.

Again, thank you very much for your suggestion.

--- webb ---

"Hedy Keller" wrote:

> Make use of the standard features within Vista:
>
> Open system control (from the start panel), you will see an item with user
> account, open that and follow the next items and instructions. You have both
> possibilities to define or undefine a password.
>
> Hedy

=?UTF-8?Q?Axel_G=C3=B6ller?=

AW: AW: Need For Passwords in Vista
> Again, thank you very much for your suggestion.

You are welcome. I hope my idea will work sufficiently for you. Please don't
hesitate to ask again if something is not clear.

Hedy