Windows Vista-XP Dual Boot

tush_jainn

Windows Vista-XP Dual Boot

Issue:

I have dual boot desktop
C:\ XP
D:\ Vista

In XP, i have made the registry changes so that i cannot access/see
vista (D:\) partition, i works fine. Though from Vista, i am unable to
hide XP partition (C:\)...i don't want to have access to XP
partition...any suggestion?

ps: I am new to forum, not sure where to put this thread.

--
tush_jainn
tush_jainn's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/48117.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Ronin

Re: Windows Vista-XP Dual Boot
Reading this and other messages from you, I strongly suggest you use a
full-service partitioning app and boot manager. Windows XP and Vista are
neither. You've already encountered the most obvious drawback of the
partitioning app, whereas the main fault of the boot manager is that the
boot partition usually the original OS partition. I say "usually" because
I'm not sure if it's possible to set it up any differently. Either Partition
Magic, or my favorite, BootIt NG (aka BING), would solve your problems.
Create an independent boot partition, hide partitions, etc. Leave you able
to create and destroy partitions however you desire without affecting the
others. I'm sure there are other such apps, but I'm not really familiar with
anything besides BING.
www.bootitng.com

That said, Vista does have an Extended partition. The fourth partition on a
disk is automatically created as a logical drive inside an extended
partition. From then on, you're creating logicals.

I'm not sure I should do this, but if you are very, very, very confident of
your skills, you might find a solution for hiding the boot partition here:
"Hide Boot Drive from Windows Vista"
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...m/1157942.html

If you try the above, you'll want to refresh your memory of diskpart
commands. Then buy more insurance for your data.
"A Description of the Diskpart Command-Line Utility"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415

--
Ronin

"tush_jainn" <tush_jainn.3pzzra@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Issue:
>
> I have dual boot desktop
> C:\ XP
> D:\ Vista
>
> In XP, i have made the registry changes so that i cannot access/see
> vista (D:\) partition, i works fine. Though from Vista, i am unable to
> hide XP partition (C:\)...i don't want to have access to XP
> partition...any suggestion?
>
> ps: I am new to forum, not sure where to put this thread.
>

> --
> tush_jainn
> tush_jainn's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/48117.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/vista-adm...on/1152974.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

tush_jainn

Re: Windows Vista-XP Dual Boot

Thanks a lot for taking time replying my query.

I am not very techie, not confident with command line...have not
touched Linux for more than a year.

I cannot reinstall OS...is there any simpler options?I think using BING
means i need to reinstall OS?

Would love to avoid purchasing any software if possible.

--
tush_jainn
tush_jainn's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/48117.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-adm...on/1152974.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Ronin

Re: Windows Vista-XP Dual Boot
There is no need to do any installing or reinstalling of the OSes before or
after installing BING. Use Vista's disk management to shrink the last
partition on the disk to leave 16MB of free space. Then install BING. It
will choose that free space to make its own partition. It really only needs
8MB, but I like to play it safe. You can reclaim the space later.

You use the download to create a bootable installation disk, either floppy
or CD. When you boot to it, if you do not want to install it, click Cancel.
That will allow you to use the partitioning tools, among other things. If
that's all you needed, partitioning tools, then this is the procedure to
use. If, however, you haven't already shrunk the last partition on the first
HD to make room for BING, then this is, again, the procedure to use. Once
done, remember to reboot.

Otherwise, let BING install with its own default settings. Then do nothing
until you've read the help files, and the online documentation, as well.
When done, build yourself a set of boot scripts, one for each OS. Use the
script (I forget exactly what they're called, but you'll see what I mean) to
hide the partitions you don't want visible. I find it convenient to leave
volumes visible in BING and use XP or Vista disk managers to "de-letter"
volumes for convenience and simplicity, yet leaving it easier to re-letter
them when I want to retrieve something.

I'm not going to try to give you a detailed primer on setting everything up.
My memory isn't that good. But the company and program have excellent
support, especially the forums. At least they used to. I've been using it a
long time, since its days of development, and I've had no real need to
revisit except to update. The main issue to familiarize yourself with is how
to edit the boot.ini file(s) in each OS, and how to do all this without
locking yourself out. It's not difficult or even risky once you have the
instructions, and it really isn't even difficult to get in and fix the files
if something goes wrong. It's more the PITA effect that you want to avoid.

--
Ronin

"tush_jainn" <tush_jainn.3q5gzc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Thanks a lot for taking time replying my query.
>
> I am not very techie, not confident with command line...have not
> touched Linux for more than a year.
>
> I cannot reinstall OS...is there any simpler options?I think using BING
> means i need to reinstall OS?
>
> Would love to avoid purchasing any software if possible.
>

> --
> tush_jainn
> tush_jainn's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/48117.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/vista-adm...on/1152974.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

tush_jainn

Re: Windows Vista-XP Dual Boot

Hi Guys, any easier method?

--
tush_jainn
tush_jainn's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/48117.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-adm...on/1152974.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Ronin

Re: Windows Vista-XP Dual Boot
Perhaps Google? I don't see anything there other than what I've already
suggested: Third-party apps or the diskpart method already noted. One
third-party app, Neogrub, a part of EasyBCD, is mentioned frequently, but a
major drawback of Google is that the articles it pulls up are repeated by
slimeball sites who simply repeat what others have written and either get
people to actually pay for the stolen material that was originally offered
for free, or slather advertizing all over the site. Such sites clog Google
and skew its results significantly. In other words, I think that if you
research further, you might actually find better stuff, but I don't know.
While I'm at it, another caution to observe when reading newsgroup or other
forum replies is that there are thousands of idiots out there who think they
know what they are talking about but who don't know anything at all. They
suggest things like running a Repair installation for almost any problem,
and other things even more idiotic and more dangerous.

After reading the instructions for Neogrub, I think you'd prefer using
diskpart. But it makes interesting reading, as do several of the other
articles pulled up by Google.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...boot+partition

--
Ronin

"tush_jainn" <tush_jainn.3qifnb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Hi Guys, any easier method?
>

> --
> tush_jainn
> tush_jainn's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/48117.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/vista-adm...on/1152974.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

tush_jainn

Re: Windows Vista-XP Dual Boot

I tried Google...no useful thing comes up n search. Forums are almost
blank for this query. I would use other search engine (not google, yahoo
or live)...

Yes, before trying anything i make sure that i understand the risk...i
don't take anything for an answer...i don't know something doesn't means
everyone what says is correct...

Neogrub -> yes i had seen that post in google...not very convincing
(may be at my low level of knowledge)..i will wait.

--
tush_jainn
tush_jainn's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/48117.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-adm...on/1152974.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Ronin

Re: Windows Vista-XP Dual Boot
Oh, well. Good luck. I really think you should reconsider the third-party
boot manager idea. If you really want to get into multi-booting, it's the
only way to go. Again, good luck.

--
Ronin