easier way to switch users?

=?Utf-8?B?SlJU?=

easier way to switch users?
I need to be able to switch users without entering having to go through four
or five point-and-clicks. Is there a way to "move" the "switch user" menu
item to the desktop?

Or is there a command line I could use to create a desktop icon to
accomplish this? (and if so, how is this accomplished?)

Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?amltbXVo?=

RE: easier way to switch users?
Hmmm. Have you tried just hitting the Windows-L key combination and then
clicking on the Switch Users button?

"JRT" wrote:

> I need to be able to switch users without entering having to go through four
> or five point-and-clicks. Is there a way to "move" the "switch user" menu
> item to the desktop?
>
> Or is there a command line I could use to create a desktop icon to
> accomplish this? (and if so, how is this accomplished?)
>
> Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?SlJU?=

RE: easier way to switch users?
yes, but that still requires the followig:

hit two keys (for me,that takes two hands on the keyboard),
then wait for the next screen,
then use right hand to go to my mouse to click "switch user"
then again use mouse to choose other user.

Would be nice if I could do it all with two mouse clicks (switch user, then
select user)!

"jimmuh" wrote:

> Hmmm. Have you tried just hitting the Windows-L key combination and then
> clicking on the Switch Users button?
>
> "JRT" wrote:
>
> > I need to be able to switch users without entering having to go through four
> > or five point-and-clicks. Is there a way to "move" the "switch user" menu
> > item to the desktop?
> >
> > Or is there a command line I could use to create a desktop icon to
> > accomplish this? (and if so, how is this accomplished?)
> >
> > Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?amltbXVo?=

RE: easier way to switch users?
Okay. You must switch user accounts a lot to make this worth worry about.
Either that or you're even lazier than I am. (Hard to believe. I'm pretty
darned lazy.)

;-)

I'll be interested to see if anyone can advise you on a quicker/easier method.

"JRT" wrote:

> yes, but that still requires the followig:
>
> hit two keys (for me,that takes two hands on the keyboard),
> then wait for the next screen,
> then use right hand to go to my mouse to click "switch user"
> then again use mouse to choose other user.
>
> Would be nice if I could do it all with two mouse clicks (switch user, then
> select user)!
>

> "jimmuh" wrote:
>
> > Hmmm. Have you tried just hitting the Windows-L key combination and then
> > clicking on the Switch Users button?
> >
> > "JRT" wrote:
> >
> > > I need to be able to switch users without entering having to go through four
> > > or five point-and-clicks. Is there a way to "move" the "switch user" menu
> > > item to the desktop?
> > >
> > > Or is there a command line I could use to create a desktop icon to
> > > accomplish this? (and if so, how is this accomplished?)
> > >
> > > Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?SlJU?=

RE: easier way to switch users?
Ha... i switch several times an hour... between "personal" and "Business"
(for legal reasons, keeping files segregated etc.)

I am certainly lazy. I used to have a program called "Macro Express" which
could probably reduce this down to one or two clicks.

But I am hoping, some on this forum could point to an exe file in, the
windows folder, i could simply create a shortcut to. (or, as my mother would
have me say "to which I can create a shortcut.")

"jimmuh" wrote:

> Okay. You must switch user accounts a lot to make this worth worry about.
> Either that or you're even lazier than I am. (Hard to believe. I'm pretty
> darned lazy.)
>
> ;-)
>
> I'll be interested to see if anyone can advise you on a quicker/easier method.
>
> "JRT" wrote:
>
> > yes, but that still requires the followig:
> >
> > hit two keys (for me,that takes two hands on the keyboard),
> > then wait for the next screen,
> > then use right hand to go to my mouse to click "switch user"
> > then again use mouse to choose other user.
> >
> > Would be nice if I could do it all with two mouse clicks (switch user, then
> > select user)!
> >

> > "jimmuh" wrote:
> >
> > > Hmmm. Have you tried just hitting the Windows-L key combination and then
> > > clicking on the Switch Users button?

=?Utf-8?B?amltbXVo?=

RE: easier way to switch users?
Well, you've piqued my curiosity. I'll watch the thread to see if anything
comes of this. I might even do a little research this weekend -- if I can
scare up the ambition. If I come up with anything I'll certainly post to let
you know. I'm thinking it's not going to be as easy as creating to a shortcut
to an executable, but it might be as easy as creating a batch file and then
creating a shortcut to the batch file.

"JRT" wrote:

> Ha... i switch several times an hour... between "personal" and "Business"
> (for legal reasons, keeping files segregated etc.)
>
> I am certainly lazy. I used to have a program called "Macro Express" which
> could probably reduce this down to one or two clicks.
>
> But I am hoping, some on this forum could point to an exe file in, the
> windows folder, i could simply create a shortcut to. (or, as my mother would
> have me say "to which I can create a shortcut.")
>

> "jimmuh" wrote:
>
> > Okay. You must switch user accounts a lot to make this worth worry about.
> > Either that or you're even lazier than I am. (Hard to believe. I'm pretty
> > darned lazy.)
> >
> > ;-)
> >
> > I'll be interested to see if anyone can advise you on a quicker/easier method.
> >
> > "JRT" wrote:
> >
> > > yes, but that still requires the followig:
> > >
> > > hit two keys (for me,that takes two hands on the keyboard),
> > > then wait for the next screen,
> > > then use right hand to go to my mouse to click "switch user"
> > > then again use mouse to choose other user.
> > >
> > > Would be nice if I could do it all with two mouse clicks (switch user, then
> > > select user)!

=?Utf-8?B?SlJU?=

RE: easier way to switch users?
found a partial solution:

right-click desktop, create a new shortcut. You will get a box asking for
the location of the shortcut. Paste this:

%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

and follow through to "finish." This at least eliminates the task of going
to "start," selecting the very tiny icon to the far right, scrolling up to
the "switch user" item, and clicking

I think "fast user switching" has to be turned on.

If anyone can help us get past the next window, or even better, directly go
to the new user's desktop, that would be swell.

"jimmuh" wrote:

> Well, you've piqued my curiosity. I'll watch the thread to see if anything
> comes of this. I might even do a little research this weekend -- if I can
> scare up the ambition. If I come up with anything I'll certainly post to let
> you know. I'm thinking it's not going to be as easy as creating to a shortcut
> to an executable, but it might be as easy as creating a batch file and then
> creating a shortcut to the batch file.
>
> "JRT" wrote:
>
> > Ha... i switch several times an hour... between "personal" and "Business"
> > (for legal reasons, keeping files segregated etc.)
> >
> > I am certainly lazy. I used to have a program called "Macro Express" which
> > could probably reduce this down to one or two clicks.
> >
> > But I am hoping, some on this forum could point to an exe file in, the
> > windows folder, i could simply create a shortcut to. (or, as my mother would
> > have me say "to which I can create a shortcut.")
> >

> > "jimmuh" wrote:
> >
> > > Okay. You must switch user accounts a lot to make this worth worry about.
> > > Either that or you're even lazier than I am. (Hard to believe. I'm pretty
> > > darned lazy.)
> > >
> > > ;-)
> > >
> > > I'll be interested to see if anyone can advise you on a quicker/easier method.

=?Utf-8?B?SlJU?=

Easier Way to Switch Users
To create an icon on your task bar or windows desktop which logs you off as a
user and brings up the login screen showing all users on your computer:

go to windows explorer, go to your C drive, click on the "windows" folder,
then search for the word "logoff." You will see a long list of files. On my
computer I found two files called "logoff" and bother are "applications"
Just create a shortcut (right click, and "create shortcut"). If you get the
right one, it will say "windows cannot create a shortcut here, do you want it
on your desktop? and say yes. If on the other hand you create a shortcut and
nothing happens, go back to the windows folder, search again for "logoff" and
you'll find the "logoff-shortcut" file, which then you can drag to your
desktop.

"JRT" wrote:

> found a partial solution:
>
> right-click desktop, create a new shortcut. You will get a box asking for
> the location of the shortcut. Paste this:
>
> %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation
>
> and follow through to "finish." This at least eliminates the task of going
> to "start," selecting the very tiny icon to the far right, scrolling up to
> the "switch user" item, and clicking
>
> I think "fast user switching" has to be turned on.
>
> If anyone can help us get past the next window, or even better, directly go
> to the new user's desktop, that would be swell.
>

> "jimmuh" wrote:
>
> > Well, you've piqued my curiosity. I'll watch the thread to see if anything
> > comes of this. I might even do a little research this weekend -- if I can
> > scare up the ambition. If I come up with anything I'll certainly post to let
> > you know. I'm thinking it's not going to be as easy as creating to a shortcut
> > to an executable, but it might be as easy as creating a batch file and then
> > creating a shortcut to the batch file.
> >
> > "JRT" wrote:
> >
> > > Ha... i switch several times an hour... between "personal" and "Business"
> > > (for legal reasons, keeping files segregated etc.)
> > >
> > > I am certainly lazy. I used to have a program called "Macro Express" which
> > > could probably reduce this down to one or two clicks.
> > >
> > > But I am hoping, some on this forum could point to an exe file in, the
> > > windows folder, i could simply create a shortcut to. (or, as my mother would
> > > have me say "to which I can create a shortcut.")

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Easier Way to Switch Users
JRT

This is still not switching users, since it logs you off and does nothing to
save your session. This requires saving all your work and shutting
everything down prior to the log-off? As well as a complete
re-initialization of all start-up programs when you access that account
again? This just seems like a very long process as well as a lot of trouble
to save a mouse click or two?

I think your previous fix is about as close as you can get to an actual
switch user procedure.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"JRT" <JRT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> To create an icon on your task bar or windows desktop which logs you off
> as a
> user and brings up the login screen showing all users on your computer:
>
> go to windows explorer, go to your C drive, click on the "windows" folder,
> then search for the word "logoff." You will see a long list of files. On
> my
> computer I found two files called "logoff" and bother are "applications"
> Just create a shortcut (right click, and "create shortcut"). If you get
> the
> right one, it will say "windows cannot create a shortcut here, do you want
> it
> on your desktop? and say yes. If on the other hand you create a shortcut
> and
> nothing happens, go back to the windows folder, search again for "logoff"
> and
> you'll find the "logoff-shortcut" file, which then you can drag to your
> desktop.
>

> "JRT" wrote:
>
>> found a partial solution:
>>
>> right-click desktop, create a new shortcut. You will get a box asking
>> for
>> the location of the shortcut. Paste this:
>>
>> %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation
>>
>> and follow through to "finish." This at least eliminates the task of
>> going
>> to "start," selecting the very tiny icon to the far right, scrolling up
>> the "switch user" item, and clicking
>>
>> I think "fast user switching" has to be turned on.
>>
>> If anyone can help us get past the next window, or even better, directly
>> go
>> to the new user's desktop, that would be swell.
>>

>> "jimmuh" wrote:
>>
>> > Well, you've piqued my curiosity. I'll watch the thread to see if
>> > anything
>> > comes of this. I might even do a little research this weekend -- if I
>> > can
>> > scare up the ambition. If I come up with anything I'll certainly post
>> > to let
>> > you know. I'm thinking it's not going to be as easy as creating to a
>> > shortcut
>> > to an executable, but it might be as easy as creating a batch file and
>> > then
>> > creating a shortcut to the batch file.

=?Utf-8?B?SlJU?=

Re: Easier Way to Switch Users
Ronnie, thanks, I noticed that and hope other users don't try what I did
unless they're prepared to save work, restart programs etc. as you warned.

Nevertheless I'm one of those "never give up" guys. Seems that if there is
a menu item to switch users, then "behind" that menu there must be a command.
Question is, how does one "see" that command?