turn off message "Low Disk Space"

=?Utf-8?B?TWF4aW1rYQ==?=

turn off message "Low Disk Space"
I have separated partition for swap file, and I see message "Low Disk Space".
How I can turn it off? Please don't suggest to buy new HDD.
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: turn off message "Low Disk Space"
You need to either increase the amount of space allocated to the Swap File,
or a better option, let Windows determine the amount to be used.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Maximka" <Maximka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have separated partition for swap file, and I see message "Low Disk
>Space".
> How I can turn it off? Please don't suggest to buy new HDD.

=?Utf-8?B?TWF4aW1rYQ==?=

Re: turn off message "Low Disk Space"
Why I need to have empty space on swap partition? I want to turn this message
off, I don't need it, I always control free space by myself and I know better
how match free space I need. I can off this message by editing registry in
XP. How I can do this in Vista?

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> You need to either increase the amount of space allocated to the Swap File,
> or a better option, let Windows determine the amount to be used.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Maximka" <Maximka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have separated partition for swap file, and I see message "Low Disk
> >Space".
> > How I can turn it off? Please don't suggest to buy new HDD.

kraut

Re: turn off message "Low Disk Space"

You ever notice how hard it is in ANY of these news groups just to get
a straight answer to a straight question?!?!

I guess everyone wants to be like MS and tell you how to run your
system and what to do. No one ever want to just answer a persons
question!!

>Why I need to have empty space on swap partition? I want to turn this message
>off, I don't need it, I always control free space by myself and I know better
>how match free space I need. I can off this message by editing registry in
>XP. How I can do this in Vista?
>

>> You need to either increase the amount of space allocated to the Swap File,
>> or a better option, let Windows determine the amount to be used.
>>

>> >I have separated partition for swap file, and I see message "Low Disk
>> >Space".
>> > How I can turn it off? Please don't suggest to buy new HDD.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: turn off message "Low Disk Space"
The question was answered correctly. The best way to deal with a warning
message is to solve the problem, not kill the messenger, wouldn't you agree?

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"kraut" <NewsGroupsPlease@NewsGroupsPlease.org> wrote in message

> You ever notice how hard it is in ANY of these news groups just to get
> a straight answer to a straight question?!?!
>
> I guess everyone wants to be like MS and tell you how to run your
> system and what to do. No one ever want to just answer a persons
> question!!
>

>>Why I need to have empty space on swap partition? I want to turn this
>>message
>>off, I don't need it, I always control free space by myself and I know
>>better
>>how match free space I need. I can off this message by editing registry in
>>XP. How I can do this in Vista?
>>

>>> You need to either increase the amount of space allocated to the Swap
>>> File,
>>> or a better option, let Windows determine the amount to be used.

Paul Randall

> The question was answered correctly. The best way to deal with a warning
> message is to solve the problem, not kill the messenger, wouldn't you
> agree?
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "kraut" <NewsGroupsPlease@NewsGroupsPlease.org> wrote in message
>>

>> You ever notice how hard it is in ANY of these news groups just to get
>> a straight answer to a straight question?!?!
>>
>> I guess everyone wants to be like MS and tell you how to run your
>> system and what to do. No one ever want to just answer a persons
>> question!!
>>

>>>Why I need to have empty space on swap partition? I want to turn this
>>>message
>>>off, I don't need it, I always control free space by myself and I know
>>>better
>>>how match free space I need. I can off this message by editing registry
>>>in
>>>XP. How I can do this in Vista?

If a person dedicates a partition solely to the swap file, which the OP
apparently did, then it seems to me he should be able to set the swap file's
size to the full size of the partition, and the system should not complain
about 'low disk space' in that partition. Am I missing something here? I
think the low disk space message is Windows' complaining that there is no
free space in a partition that has absolutely no need for any free space.

Am I missing something here?

-Paul Randall

"Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote in message

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <rv@invalid.org> wrote in message
>> The question was answered correctly. The best way to deal with a warning
>> message is to solve the problem, not kill the messenger, wouldn't you
>> agree?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "kraut" <NewsGroupsPlease@NewsGroupsPlease.org> wrote in message
>>>

>>> You ever notice how hard it is in ANY of these news groups just to get
>>> a straight answer to a straight question?!?!
>>>
>>> I guess everyone wants to be like MS and tell you how to run your
>>> system and what to do. No one ever want to just answer a persons
>>> question!!

> If a person dedicates a partition solely to the swap file, which the OP
> apparently did, then it seems to me he should be able to set the swap
> file's size to the full size of the partition, and the system should not
> complain about 'low disk space' in that partition. Am I missing something
> here? I think the low disk space message is Windows' complaining that
> there is no free space in a partition that has absolutely no need for any
> free space.
>
> Am I missing something here?
>
> -Paul Randall

Unless you are psychic, I don't think the OP has given any details about the
swap file size in relation to the partition size?

He may have the virtual memory set to the same size as the partition where
it resides, but too low for the amount being requested? The low disk space
warning is usually triggered by setting a maximum size for the swap file.
The swap file is dynamic and grows depending on the amount of virtual memory
being requested. It could also be heavily fragmented or even corrupted.

A warning message is not something you want to ignore or simply turn off
because you think it is annoying.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Paul Randall

> "Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <rv@invalid.org> wrote in message
>>> The question was answered correctly. The best way to deal with a warning
>>> message is to solve the problem, not kill the messenger, wouldn't you
>>> agree?
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Ronnie Vernon
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User
>>>

>>> "kraut" <NewsGroupsPlease@NewsGroupsPlease.org> wrote in message

>> If a person dedicates a partition solely to the swap file, which the OP
>> apparently did, then it seems to me he should be able to set the swap
>> file's size to the full size of the partition, and the system should not
>> complain about 'low disk space' in that partition. Am I missing
>> something here? I think the low disk space message is Windows'
>> complaining that there is no free space in a partition that has
>> absolutely no need for any free space.
>>
>> Am I missing something here?
>>
>> -Paul Randall

> Unless you are psychic, I don't think the OP has given any details about
> the swap file size in relation to the partition size?
>
> He may have the virtual memory set to the same size as the partition where
> it resides, but too low for the amount being requested? The low disk space
> warning is usually triggered by setting a maximum size for the swap file.
> The swap file is dynamic and grows depending on the amount of virtual
> memory being requested. It could also be heavily fragmented or even
> corrupted.
>
> A warning message is not something you want to ignore or simply turn off
> because you think it is annoying.

I'm definitely not psychic :-)
Lets assume the partition is used solely for the swap file, and is 2 or 3
times the size of physical memory, and the swap file is a fixed size that
uses the entire partition. I doubt the nagging about low disk space would
be triggered by the memory manager. I think it is just the 'drive almost
full' nag talked about in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285107 . With
these assumptions, turning off the nag seems like a reasonable thing to do.

I'm also assuming that the kb285107 nag applies to Vista.

-Paul Randall

cornell2

Re: turn off message "Low Disk Space"

In defense of the original poster:

I too have a similar (if not the same problem). Bought a compaq
notebook with vista pre-installed. Right out of the box this warning
persists. And the warning is for drive D: ... the recovery partition.

1. The partition was already there and seems to be part of the standard
setup (I check the others at the store).
2. Drive C (my main partition has about 70Gig) plenty free (like 40G
avail)
3. Drive D (recovery) is 5.53G .. .with 876kb free.

Yup ... 876kb free. This is the automatic recovery disk, if you will.
I have no choice in this... NOR can I delete ANY of the files. It
appears the OS sets up this partition the exact size of the recovery
files. Makes sense.

What does NOT make sense is that ... every 3 mins I get that annoying
bubble warning popping up with a Low Disk Space Warning on Drive D:

I scream at it "Mr. Vista - YOU set up this Disk ... and KNEW it was
fully the second you set it up. And furthermore, I cannot and should
not delete the files. So why interrupt everything that I am doing
every 3 mins?"

I have searched the net ... called compaq (microsoft won't talk to me
since the OS came bundled with the computer). People have experience
the problem ... but there seem to be no solutions. (I tried all these
registry hacks, but they have no effect .... the hacks are probably
only affecting drive C).

ALSO ... when I post the problem on different boards - I too get fairly
smug and useless answers like "have you tried deleting the files" "you
should install linux" ... and generally answers that show that people
are more interested in appearing smart than actually reading the
question. Sorry folks. I would love a solution and don't want to
insult anyone, but I do agree with the OP. The responses can be very
frustrating ....

--
cornell2
Michael

Re: turn off message "Low Disk Space"
What you need to do is stop Vista from seeing that partition as a disk
drive, don't remove/delete the files just make the 'd:' go away.

(Dell set up does same dumb thing).

Start
Control Panel
System and Maintenance
Create and format hard disk partitions (scroll to bottom to see)
Right click on the "D:" "recovery partition"
Change Drive Letter and Paths

Remove the drive letter, note that this doesn't damage any of the contents,
the recovery partition will still be there if needed just that Vista
no longer sees it as a useful operational drive.

Michael