Change settings need to be system administrator

Terry

Change settings need to be system administrator
I’m trying to change the settings on automatic updates to download and
install, the settings screen will not allow me to change the existing
settings. Says it must be done by a system administrator. The machine is not
on a domain

I have administrator rights, but I’m not logged on as the administrator.

How can I change this and or how do I log on as the administrator.

Thanks

hemanthal is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Change settings need to be system administrator
I was suffering from the same problem but i found solution for administrator login from the following site:
Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows Vista :: the How-To Geek

The details are as below:
Enable Built-in Administrator Account
First you'll need to open a command prompt in administrator mode by right-clicking and choosing "Run as administrator" (or use the Ctrl+Shift+Enter shortcut from the search box - The easiest way is to use the type cmd in the Vista Start Run box and use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + Enter instead of just pressing Enter. This will open the Command Prompt in Administrator mode.)
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MFD1234/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/03/clip_image002.gif[/IMG]

Now type the following command:

net user administrator /active:yes

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MFD1234/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/03/clip_image004.gif[/IMG]You should see a message that the command completed successfully. Log out, and you'll now see the Administrator account as a choice.
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MFD1234/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/03/clip_image006.gif[/IMG]

You'll note that there's no password for this account, so if you want to leave it enabled you should change the password.
Disable Built-in Administrator Account
Make sure you are logged on as your regular user account, and then open an administrator mode command prompt as above. Type the following command:
net user administrator /active:no
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MFD1234/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/03/clip_image008.gif[/IMG]

The administrator account will now be disabled, and shouldn't show up on the login screen anymore.
Wadieface

Re: Change settings need to be system administrator

The question you asked is self explanatory. Yes, you must be logged in
as an administrator.

--
Wadieface
Terry

RE: Change settings need to be system administrator
Yes, I'm logged as an administrator, but not "THE ADMINISTRATOR" Logging in
now I have all rights.

"Terry" wrote:

> I’m trying to change the settings on automatic updates to download and
> install, the settings screen will not allow me to change the existing
> settings. Says it must be done by a system administrator. The machine is not
> on a domain
>
> I have administrator rights, but I’m not logged on as the administrator.
>
> How can I change this and or how do I log on as the administrator.
>
> Thanks

Brink

Re: Change settings need to be system administrator

Hello Terry,

This will show you how to enable the built-in Administrator account so
that you can log on to it with full rights.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...r-account.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--