Upgrading from XP to Vista

Tore Sandvik

Upgrading from XP to Vista
Hi
I have upgraded my HP Compaq nc6320 from XP professional to Vista Home
Premium.
On the XP configuration, the only user vas "Administrator".
On Vista the only user is "Tore" will all the administrator's rights. Even
though it seems that the user "Administrator" is lurking somewhere in the
background, as when I tried to enter a new user called "Administrator" i get
the message that the user "Administrator" allready exists, and I have to
find another name.
I could let it be with that if it wasn't for the problem that the current
administrative user "Tore" is prohibited from a total function as an
administrator.
So, my first question is: where can I find this "Administrator" and get rid
of "him" ?

Another strange ting also happened as the installation prosess didn't make
the usual "Windows.old" file - so therefore it seems that all the old stuff
is lost.

When running on XP, there also was installed a "SafeGuard" password
protection to "open" the PC first of all. It has also disappeared.

Has anyone experienced things like this ? I have tried to find it out
searching the whole PC, opening for hidden files and all, even tried to find
an answer on the Microsoft support websides, but no luck.

Best regards

Tore S

GH

Re: Upgrading from XP to Vista
See these links re the revealing the Vista Administrator account - the first
one uses the GUI, the second the command prompt.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...olicy-setting/

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...elcome-screen/

Re the password - your Tore account must not have a password. You can add a
password from control panel, "add or remove exisiting accounts"

cheers,
GH

"Tore Sandvik" <tore.sandvik@bof-nett.no> wrote in message
> Hi
> I have upgraded my HP Compaq nc6320 from XP professional to Vista Home
> Premium.
> On the XP configuration, the only user vas "Administrator".
> On Vista the only user is "Tore" will all the administrator's rights. Even
> though it seems that the user "Administrator" is lurking somewhere in the
> background, as when I tried to enter a new user called "Administrator" i
> get the message that the user "Administrator" allready exists, and I have
> to find another name.
> I could let it be with that if it wasn't for the problem that the current
> administrative user "Tore" is prohibited from a total function as an
> administrator.
> So, my first question is: where can I find this "Administrator" and get
> rid of "him" ?
>
> Another strange ting also happened as the installation prosess didn't make
> the usual "Windows.old" file - so therefore it seems that all the old
> stuff is lost.
>
> When running on XP, there also was installed a "SafeGuard" password
> protection to "open" the PC first of all. It has also disappeared.
>
> Has anyone experienced things like this ? I have tried to find it out
> searching the whole PC, opening for hidden files and all, even tried to
> find an answer on the Microsoft support websides, but no luck.
>
> Best regards
>
> Tore S

GH

Re: Upgrading from XP to Vista
PS: DONT DELETE THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT

"Tore Sandvik" <tore.sandvik@bof-nett.no> wrote in message
> Hi
> I have upgraded my HP Compaq nc6320 from XP professional to Vista Home
> Premium.
> On the XP configuration, the only user vas "Administrator".
> On Vista the only user is "Tore" will all the administrator's rights. Even
> though it seems that the user "Administrator" is lurking somewhere in the
> background, as when I tried to enter a new user called "Administrator" i
> get the message that the user "Administrator" allready exists, and I have
> to find another name.
> I could let it be with that if it wasn't for the problem that the current
> administrative user "Tore" is prohibited from a total function as an
> administrator.
> So, my first question is: where can I find this "Administrator" and get
> rid of "him" ?
>
> Another strange ting also happened as the installation prosess didn't make
> the usual "Windows.old" file - so therefore it seems that all the old
> stuff is lost.
>
> When running on XP, there also was installed a "SafeGuard" password
> protection to "open" the PC first of all. It has also disappeared.
>
> Has anyone experienced things like this ? I have tried to find it out
> searching the whole PC, opening for hidden files and all, even tried to
> find an answer on the Microsoft support websides, but no luck.
>
> Best regards
>
> Tore S

Richard G. Harper

Re: Upgrading from XP to Vista
This is a really bad idea. From the sound of your message you aren't truly
understanding the changes that have taken place in Vista with administrative
versus "Administrator" accounts. Getting rid of the "Administrator" account
will not enhance the rights of your "Tore" account, and in fact is likely to
cause widespread system problems and a likely wipe and reinstall of your
system.

I would suggest spending some time at the Microsoft TechNet and MSDN web
sites studying what has changed, supplemented with a little Google research.
Until you understand what has changed and why, you cannot make meaningful,
useful or safe changes to account security in Vista.